GWTW Forum
May 27, 2019, 01:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th
to contact us email: kitekid@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting back into kite flying  (Read 2561 times)
TroutBum
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 20, 2018, 05:16 PM »

I've been away from kite flying the past 8 to 10 years. Life happens and my wife and I found our free time was taken up with the kids activities. Now that they are teenagers and doing afterschool sports are weekend are nearly free. I dusted off our kites in storage and wanted to get a few new ones for our kids. While doing research I was left with the impression that the kite flying has dwindle somewhat during our hiatus. Is it just me or has kite flying lost interest over the years?
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 05:57 PM »

Is it just me or has kite flying lost interest over the years?
Your observations are spot on IMO. This forum is as slow as it has ever been. I sometimes look up usernames in the members section and I see where lots of them haven't logged in for months, some for a year plus. This doesn't mean they haven't been lurking, but they are not participating. I think some are like yourself and life happens. A lot of them find out tricking a kite is not so easy and I think they totally give up, just like I'm about to do. A lot has changed in the last 8 to 10 years. Single line kites are a different story and so are revs. I hope you and your wife and kids enjoy your return to kiting. A lot of kite festivals are GONE. I can't even give my custom flight straps away.  Cheesy Cheesy 
TroutBum

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 06:13 PM »

Sad to hear this. I hope my kids take a liking to it. They enjoyed the Berkeley Kite festivals years back. I see its coming up again next weekend so hopefully we can make it there.
DavidB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:47 PM »

Don’t know where you live, but I am assuming somewhere in the SF Bay Area. There is an active group of dual and quad line fliers in that area. We hold several events throughout the year - find us a BASKL.org.
A number of us fly most weekends at Shoreline Park in Mountain View. If that works for you let me know and we can arrange to meet.
If you make it to the Berkeley Festival, we will be around the competition/demo field area. Ask anyone at the sound tent there. Hope you can make it.
TroutBum

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 11:36 PM »

Hi David, thank you for the offer. I live in San Jose so hopefully some weekend I can make it over to shoreline to check you guys out.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 01:48 AM »

Welcome to the Forum. Yes kite flying is less popular.

So if you can, teach some young ones how to fly.

Hopefully, Shoreline still has some of the regulars.  Smiley

Oldgoat

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 08:30 AM »

You're observations are correct Troutbum, it ain't what is used to be.  Even some of the remaining "big" events are a lot smaller than they used to be.  The WSIKF is coming up next month and even that is far less attended than in the past.  Kite flying has even been removed from the US Census questionnaire and it was listed on there as a leisure time activity for decades.  There's been a lot of discussion as to why but who knows.  I'm guessing if you can't do it on a mobile device it isn't fun anymore. Sad
TroutBum

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:33 AM »

I've noticed a sharp decline in many activities I once enjoyed. The world has changed since the proliferation of mobile devices and social media. My son would rather spend hours online with his friend rather than gather somewhere and socialize. It's sad.
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 01:24 PM »

Marty,

Believe it or not, probably most all of these fine kite people listed below have  passed since you last were active flying kites. In one way or another each one made a big impact on the decline in kiting. I know I overlooked a lot of others that have passed and maybe some other posters will refresh my failing memory and add them to this post. I’m sure you will know some of these kite people.

1. Dan Rubesh
2. Corey Jensen
3. Phil Kalenowsky
4. Jim Strealy
5. Ron Despojado
6. Steve Tapp
7. Tony Carl
8. Bobby Benton
9. Charles Stonestreet
10. Pam Kirk
11. Shane Hill
12. Reed Richards
13. Dave Shattuck “Geezer”
14. Jason Litchford
15. Don Ostey
16. Brian Todd
17. Roger Horn

One more HUGE factor to the decline in kiting was the closure of the Gone With The Wind Kites. Yes, this is still
Steve’s forum. Several other brick & mortar (walk-in) and internet based kite stores have also closed.
Maybe if a guy can hang around long enough you will see the next big boom in kiting. But, when you
watch TV, or you are downtown shopping and all you see are people with their face planted in a Smart Phone, I have
my doubts. Nobody knew kites better than Steve Hall. He knew exactly what parts you needed to repair or mod your kite. There is no doubt he was the “Kite Guru”. 

THIS will make a good read for you.
TroutBum

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 09:59 PM »

np, thank you for the information. Your list of names brought back names I remember when I flew kites last. Sad that GWTW kites is no more. I bought a few kites from them. They were located in Belmont right? Near Harbour and Industrial Way if I recall or maybe that was another store. It was a small place well stocked.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 05:40 PM »

Kiting is coming back a bit but mostly over seas.  If you make it out to Berkeley come introduce yourself.  I'll be flying demos in the afternoon on both days as will some of the flyers from my Ripon fun fly group.  We meet the first sunday of the month at Mistlin sports park in ripon and if you come out to one i've got many different kites you can test out as well as helping you learn to fly again if needed.

Anthony.
TroutBum

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22 AM »

Thanks Ca Ike. Very kind of you to offer. I hope we can make one of the days of the BKF, but we are waiting to hear about my Uncle who is in a nursing home. If we go to the event I will be sure to stop by and say "hi".
TroutBum

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 10:36 AM »

Yesterday I was in Cupertino, CA to get my son's bike repaired. With some time to kill I headed over to the kite park at Shoreline. It is bigger than I remember. I saw one guy fly a stunt kite and a young couple flying a dragon kite. I wish I had planned better and brought a kite with me to spend a little time flying. I need to leave a couple kites in the trunk to have them in the ready.  Smiley 
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 02:12 PM »

My wife and I will be at Berkeley for the first time this year. Hope to meet some of you.

-Andrew

breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 08:55 PM »

Curious as to what kites needed dusting off.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: