GWTW Forum
April 22, 2019, 05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
member support is greatly appreciated
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington State International Kite Festival 2018  (Read 5578 times)
Roger
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 26, 2018, 02:31 PM »

Be there or be square.  Tongue
WSIKF Info
Oldgoat

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 09:42 AM »

Well we'll be there.  A quarter of a century of "being there."   Smiley
Roger

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 02:45 PM »

Well we'll be there.  A quarter of a century of "being there."   Smiley

Nice to hear Oldgoat! Looking forward to seeing you and your gang. I'll be there for sure on Thurs. for the handcrafted competitions and the kids suggested maybe coming on Wednesday and staying the night so I can do some early testing. I have 15 or so new designs since last year & I have never flown any of them.  Huh Well, no worries; as the saying goes, 'you can fly a barn door if you bridle it right'.  Cheesy
Oldgoat

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:24 AM »

15 new designs and never tested any of them. Huh  You need to get in some flying time my friend Wink  The kids are right.  Take Wednesday and find an open spot, maybe not in the main festival area, and do some testing.  Smiley  I understand kids make pretty good anchors  Wink
 Smiley
kiteking
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:29 AM »

Might have to cancel again this year, last time it was the Chetco Bar fire. This year it might be open heart surgery

Waiting to be xfered from Coos Bay to Portland

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-16

#518  -    #110883 -

Oldgoat

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:09 AM »

Oh my  Sad  Best of luck Mike.  Maybe kite party?
 Smiley
Roger

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:39 AM »

15 new designs and never tested any of them. Huh  You need to get in some flying time my friend Wink  The kids are right.  Take Wednesday and find an open spot, maybe not in the main festival area, and do some testing.  Smiley  I understand kids make pretty good anchors  Wink
 Smiley

Cheesy I was going to use the grand-kids as the anchors and the kids as anchor minders.
I had to pony up 3 bills for brake pads and shocks on my rig yesterday- got the back installed and hope to finish front today- so my budget may not allow an extra day now. The maiden flight of my Dart was the contest last year and as it flew well I'm not going to sweat over no pre-test this time around. Que sera sera.

Might have to cancel again this year, last time it was the Chetco Bar fire. This year it might be open heart surgery

Waiting to be xfered from Coos Bay to Portland

Shocked Best of luck on your outcome dude. The way things are shaping up, fires might put the kibosh on everyone this year. Fingers crossed & knock on wood.
Roger

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 09:46 AM »

Smiley

So it looks like I will get up by late morning Wed. & looking at the festival map I am thinking I will set up S of Field C for testing. Do you do some kind of registration for your Goat Hill Gang setup Oldgoat, or do you all just show up and setup? Absolutely no info on the festival web page about using the Camp Display Areas or the Large Kite Area. ??

Thursday I am thinking to set up with the fam @ the NW corner of Field A for the competitions. While I was worried about roasting in the heat last week, this week NOAA is forecasting a slight chance of rain Thurs. before 11! Noooooooooo!!  Shocked

I see besides the Innovation and Cellular categories I have planned for, there is a train contest @ 9:30 Thurs. and if I get my Dart train tested and time allows I may give that a try as well.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to fly we go.  Smiley
Roger

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 01:24 PM »

I'll be there Wednesday morning. Flying a few SLKs, dual lines and a quad or 2.

I'll keep an eye out for you. Look for me under the Zulu flag.

With all the flute work lately, I was thinking it might be workable to attach small whistles to the wing-tips of some of those sport/stunt kites. Rather than flying to music, you could fly and make music. Music being in the ear of the beholder, some might hear it as noise, but it's nothing I have seen done and seems worth the experiment(s).  Cool
Benderdog
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 12:38 AM »

Took a quick peek on the site, need to look more.  Is there any easy camping in that area?

Flying to maintain my sanity...
Roger

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 10:50 AM »

Took a quick peek on the site, need to look more.  Is there any easy camping in that area?

I don't know any specifics to recommend, but I searched for 'Long Beach WA camping' last week and found a handful or so of camp sites that are in the area. Here's the Long Beach Visitors Center page that has camping listings. >> Long Beach Visitors

I did notice some outfits jack up the price for the festival and of course availability could be an issue. Oldgoat or other regulars might have some inside info ; sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this note.  Sad
Benderdog
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 12:21 PM »

Appreciate any response Smiley  Have a good rig setup, so really only need a fire road, but was just curious how most folks set up down there.

Thanks for the help!

Flying to maintain my sanity...
Roger

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 03:13 PM »

Appreciate any response Smiley  Have a good rig setup, so really only need a fire road, but was just curious how most folks set up down there.

Thanks for the help!

Happy to help. Just found this forum bit; says you can camp anywhere on beach above high tide line that's not private and mentions nearby BLM land. Link:> Long Beach Washington - Primitive Camping  @campingforums dot com

Meanwhile back at the ranch, my plans are suddenly up in the air if you'll pardon the pun.  Roll Eyes The plan was for me to go solo early Wed. for test flying and the tribe would roll in Wed evening in the RV and we'd get a spot for the night then contest & frolic all Thurs. However, we've had a sudden illness in the extended family today and outcomes now range from meeting the plan, to me going solo Thurs. only, to no festival this year. Que sera sera.

On a hopeful note, if I make it for Innovative Concepts & Design contest Thurs. I will be flying one of my most ambitious builds this year, the XN37 Super Nova. I can't share a photo yet, but I'll leak something of its figure.  Grin About 5'x5'x5', she weighs just over a kilo, and carries 41ft^2 of sail for a wail (weight-to-sail-area ratio) of 24.6gm/ft^2.*  Her rip-stop sails are patchwork red & white in a pseudo checkerboard pattern and she is framed in painted Poplar.

*Of the 15 or so new designs for me this year, this one has the best wail. For comparison, a single Bell tetrahedral cell using my standard pieces has a wail of 35gms/ft^2, and my Flymaxion from last year's festival has a wail of 25.6gm/ft^2. Combining multiple cells into compounds, as Aleck Bell demonstrated,  does not change the wail nor diminish strength and so very large kites are practical. (I have already found that some compounds actually have a better wail than their individual cells, because the join may offer the opportunity for an additional sail between.) Note that these figures use the total sail area and not projected sail area.

Well, I can run on.  Roll Eyes I better add a picture & skip 1000 words. Here's a shot of the XN37's sails under construction.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:14 PM by Roger » Logged
Roger

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 12:42 PM »

Whew! Made it up Thurs. morning about 7:30am with the crew and got the XN37 set up in time for some testing before the 10:00am Innovative Concepts & Design contest. She won 1st in Masters class! Many thanks to my helpers, in particular my son who saw how to correct the bridle and an unknown fella on the beach who suggested a lower tail placement than I was trying. Thanks folks! I have more photos and videos to share but it's going to take me a while to sort and organize. Here's a starter though, a short video of my son test flying XN37.  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvqDtshIXE
Roger

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 05:00 PM »

My compound XA2 Fox took 1st in Masters Class, Cellular competition. Wail on this one is ~1.66k/60.8ft^2 = 27.27gm/ft^2 and dimensions are ~8'x8'x4'. Using a spring scale we measured a line pull of between 6 and 10 pounds in winds 6 to 9mph. (I suspect the wind was a bit more brisk at altitude.) We flew on 80# braided Dacron; clearly overkill for this wind range. All rip-stop nylon, save for the irises of the eyes which are hand-dyed silk. Here's a tuning flight before the contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvzMZETMnWk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: