GWTW Forum
December 12, 2018, 09:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington State International Kite Festival 2018  (Read 3815 times)
Roger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 05:00 PM »

My compound XA2 Fox took 1st in Masters Class, Cellular competition. Wail on this one is ~1.66k/60.8ft^2 = 27.27gm/ft^2 and dimensions are ~8'x8'x4'. Using a spring scale we measured a line pull of between 6 and 10 pounds in winds 6 to 9mph. (I suspect the wind was a bit more brisk at altitude.) We flew on 80# braided Dacron; clearly overkill for this wind range. All rip-stop nylon, save for the irises of the eyes which are hand-dyed silk. Here's a tuning flight before the contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvzMZETMnWk
Benderdog
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 08:40 PM »

Awesome!  I went earlier this week for a bit before I had to head to a mtb race.  I'd love to do the entire week next summer!

Flying to maintain my sanity...
Roger

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 10:46 AM »

Awesome!  I went earlier this week for a bit before I had to head to a mtb race.  I'd love to do the entire week next summer!
Thnx Benderdog! You've got more endurance than I; 10 hrs. on the beach has me positively buckled. I might be ready again by next year.  Cheesy

I'm sure I saw oldgoat and said hi, but he was busy in the field and may not have recognized me. I was pretty focused myself and took very few photos this year, and most of those of my own kites.  Huh

Roger

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 11:12 AM »

Outside of the contests I only managed to fly one other of my untested kites. This is 7/10 scale of my others, which I did so I could get 3 struts from each 4' dowel and also make use of scrap fabric to make the smaller sails. This one is an XA2 Diamond and my daughter shot the still of me taking the video on my phone.  Smiley
Video link: >> https://youtu.be/Cy9dgjDPJtI
Roger

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 04:09 PM »

So I had to leave Long Beach before the ribbons were ready so I left some money to cover postage and my ribbons arrived in the mail this week. Checked even to match the Super Nova!  Cheesy Not much in the big scheme of things, but plenty to keep an ember under my bum for next year.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:04 AM by Roger » Logged
Roger

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 04:04 PM »

Well we'll be there.  A quarter of a century of "being there."   Smiley

Were you there the whole week? I only had the one day so I missed most the fun. I was reading it was smoky first several days; how was the wind. Did you compete in anything other than handcrafted? How was the lighted kite fly? Did you go to any of the dinners or auction?

Anybody?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom