GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 11:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: are longer lines easier to trick with??  (Read 2479 times)
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 06, 2009, 09:08 PM »

Had some fun with my new (to me) SF 2.5 UL today. Got it flying in a decent wind and loved it. I did have some issues though in that I am using 50' x 50# lines. It seemed that I could not throw enough slack to it to get the kite to flip fully over.

I did manage to get it to fade a couple of times, which was cool. Still cannot figure out how to stall though. Anyhow, I could get the kite to flip backwards but not continue to wrap up the lines and get the nose to come back up again.

Dunno, thought maybe longer lines might help. I have some on order and hopefully they will be here this week.

Cheers,
Sean
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:27 PM »

longer lines give you a bigger wind window and allow you to experiment while maintaining greater distance from the ground.

my personal preference is 100 feet. i rarely fly longer or shorter, but if i were pressed i'd rather go longer than shorter.

Fdeli
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:20 AM »

As a general rule.....

10 times the wingspan is for learning tricks

You get to see how the kite is moving and how the lines interact with the kite

15 times the wingspan is for learning figures

You get a larger window and can practice holding a straight line

So all-around flying.....

12.5 times the wingspan

You can still see the lines and how the kite is moving, but
you're not hogging all the field.

On an 8 foot kite that's:

80 feet for learning tricks
100 feet for general flying and tricking
120 feet for learning figures

Just my opinion.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:57 AM »

Keep in mind that longer lines will produce slightly more bow in your lines, making your inputs less stacatto at the kite.  Thus, there is a limit depending on line strength, the thicker lines bowing more.  Many fliers say that longer lines make it harder to feel the kite come off and hit the lines again.  I know this only because I usually fly with longer lines (+35m), and folks that switch to my kite often comment negatively if they are used to shorter line sets. 

That said, the above is a rather small effect.  The greater window size and more effective flying space is the main appeal/advantage to longer lines IMHO. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 04:31 AM »

Hey there...
I find that some kites like to be on longer lines like 100' (Exile) while other kites like to be on shorter lines 75'-85' (QPro). Some kites go either way, but I know that my Exile isn't happy and doesn't respond well to short lines. Your SF will probably be happy on longer lines than 50', that's for sure. Those 50s are only good for light wind or small spaces.
~Rob.

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:15 AM »

longer lines mean you have to walk further to pick up your kite! I use 85' Cool

"Do what you like"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 09:47 AM »

I'd say that it depends on the winds.

The higher the winds, then longer the lines for me.  If you fly on 120' lines it is amazing how much it helps your flying in decent wind.  Shorter lines give you less time to react and a much smaller window, but in light wind I often prefer them. 

I don't like the lines to "bow" at all.  Any of that and I usually move to lighter and/or shorter lines.

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:00 AM »

+1 but 85 is my go to length amazing how 85ft of 300 # will slow a kite down dont think its the weight more like lots of drag. on the other end it is hard to get 85ft of 50# to droop great response  ko
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:05 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:21 PM »

I like tricking on shorter lines. In standard winds I use 65-85' 100 lb & I use 75' the most. UL & SUL I like 35-70' 50 or 80 lb and my most used set is 55'.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 02:44 PM »

Boy line length is a personal thing, here some like short lines for light wind, some like long lines to increase the window and maybe find wind up higher. Some like long lines for tricking to give more room to recover, some like short lines to see what's going on better.

I personally prefer lines at 75-85 feet for most flying, 50-60 feet in no wind conditions as it makes running 360's easier and around here in those conditions if you have ground winds blowing from behind you above 40 feet they will be blowing the opposite direction anyway as often as not. I also sort of like the short lines with smaller zippier kites like the Freestylist or Wolf.

I haven't felt comfortable with lines over 90 feet in years unless there's a FlexiFoil on the other end. Then you better clear the field because I will be sweeping ground level, border to border plucking cloverheads at 80 MPH  Tongue

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 03:23 PM »

That's a pretty big kite for such short (and light) lines.

I flew my 2.5 on 75' some, but a kite that size is generally happier on longer. 100' would be my choice, but sometimes it depends on field space.

I wouldn't fly it on lighter than 90#. Between having to give strong inputs to get it to move, and the pull  generated if the wind picks up, I'd say a 2.5 would eat 50# line.

Generally speaking I think 50# is limiting for learning tricks as you cant operate with very many wraps.

Allen, AKA kitehead
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 04:48 PM »

Yeah, I have ordered 90#x75' lines already, I was just using what I had with my HQ Bebop for lines on the SF. It was interesting though, fliying it in decent wind, I could really tell that the lines were being tortured. I shut down the kite a couple of times when the winds got too high, which was good, but as my only other kite (at the moment) is the Bebop I was not so happy.

The bebop needs at least 10mph to go and I was just at the edge of that, whereas it felt really heavy on the SF in the same wind. The kite itself did not seem to mind that wind, and did great figures but would not flip over at all for me. Probably me though, not much experience at this yet.

Cheers,
Sean
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 07:26 PM »

+1 but 85 is my go to length amazing how 85ft of 300 # will slow a kite down dont think its the weight more like lots of drag. on the other end it is hard to get 85ft of 50# to droop great response  ko

Yup, for me any length of #50 is a little tough to work with.....outside

"Do what you like"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum