GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion on Spirit please  (Read 5745 times)
cavers
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 07, 2009, 07:28 AM »

Well I have been away from the kiting scene for about 8 yrs and things have changed. I had an original Spirit and really liked it.
Are there any opinions out there on how the new Spirit compares?
I also liked the original graphics (red/white/blue) but can't find any. Thought I had one last month but deal fell through.
I'm just trying to get started again and really miss the "dark side"
Following Winds
Mac
kitelover

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:59 AM »

If one were to have just 1 quad, I think most people would recommend a 1.5 in whatever flavor matches your usual winds. The Spirit would cost a little less while still performing all the quad moves. I believe the new version is smaller than the original. Personally, I prefer the Rev. Various frames are available and easily exchanged. The straight leading edge makes it easy to slide inverted over the ground, water or whatever. Any true quadhead would probably want a Spirit in their bag.
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:58 PM »

Never flown one. After buying a few, the B series REV is the best one to have. Then a vented B REV for windy days.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:56 PM »

I saw and flew one of the new Spirits a few weeks ago. I didn't think I liked the new graphics from the pictures, I was wrong, it looked spectacular in the air. Very easy to fly, I haven't had a quad in my hands for a couple years again and I flew this one around without hesitation like an old pro.

Bad point is, it's not a Rev ...  good point is ... It's not a Rev  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Watty

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:05 PM »

Well I have been away from the kiting scene for about 8 yrs and things have changed. I had an original Spirit and really liked it.
Are there any opinions out there on how the new Spirit compares?
I also liked the original graphics (red/white/blue) but can't find any. Thought I had one last month but deal fell through.
I'm just trying to get started again and really miss the "dark side"
Following Winds
Mac

Quite honestly, I do not like the spirit. Any rev is superior to the spirit in every way. It is not very precise, and it is very squishy, causing a dive stop to be a dive wiggle. It axels alright, I'll give it that, but it won't flic flak, it won't toss-and-catch, and it won't pancake. The only redeeming quality it has when compared to a Rev is that it has a snazzy look to it.

cavers

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 05:09 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone. To be honest since I am in the 7th decade of life and 3rd decade of kiting, my flick don't flack and I.m more interested in just getting it up (in the air).
Soo, I'll probably go with the spirit, unless I find out more against it.
Thanks Again
Following Winds
Mac
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 07:59 PM »

Assembly is more involved then a Rev, took me a while the first time, not difficult, just not stupid simple like a rev. I didn't look at whether they upgraded the rubber bands they used on the crosses on the original, if not you will be replacing those in time. Stop by your local hardware store or auto/transmission shop and try to get some O-Rings of the right size, they'll last forever. Otherwise a trip to a bicycle shop for an old innertube of the proper diameter to cut new ones out of, probably get an old one free since they don't often patch them anymore and it'll make hundreds of them.

Another plus in the Spirit's favor is that it never lays flat on the ground making re-launches from most positions easy on any surface.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kitehead
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40 AM »

My first quad was a NT Spirit and I really enjoyed it. Now that I've spent some time just    on Revs, I think I'd like to have both. A quad doesn't have to fly like a Rev to be a good kite.
layangman

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:08 PM »

I have both Revs and Spirit and an HQ Mosquito.
IMO, the Spirit is a good looking kite, but for precision its not as sharp as a REV.

But its a fun kite to fly, fast and still highly controllable. I have modified my Spirit's bridle in accordance with T Gunn's excellent instructions found here.  It improved the brakes tremendously.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:58 AM »

Quite honestly, I do not like the spirit. Any rev is superior to the spirit in every way.
what crap....
just because someone likes revs does not make the rev superior in any way.....

i have Decas....and revs are not crap....just not my favorite to fly....i have flown a spirit...it is more organic and flowing while flying than a rev is....more deca-ish....

it is not as precise as a rev is....i will give you that....
but come on the
Quote from: Watty
The only redeeming quality it has when compared to a Rev is that it has a snazzy look to it.
coming from you that is pretty condescending if you ask me.......i would have thought that Paul designed a few good things into it....he might know a thing or two about kites....

but...oh wait...
EVERYONE MUST BOW DOWN TO REVOLUTION

cavers: if you have it fly it....that is simple....just fly.....and enjoy it....try a rev if you want to...but do not feel that you need to to be out there...personally i feel the quality of a Spirit made by Paul (and if this is an original it is his) is a heck of a lot better than lots of other kites out there!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
cavers

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 07:44 AM »

Again thanks to ALL for the inputs. I guess I wasn't very clear with my original request for information. At one time or another I have owned and flown most of the Rev's. I had two of Steve's original Spirit's and then the NT Spirit. I am familure with the plus's and minus's of each. What I don't know is how the new NT Spirit compares with the old. I see a lot of change in the graphics, but graphics don't always reflect the quality of the kit.
It may not matter much since I don't seem to be able to locate a R/W/B, and may have to settle for a new style.
Again thanks for the inputs. Did not mean to stir controversy, just wanting to get up to date.
Following Winds
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 06:50 PM »

No comment on Spirit or other quads, since I haven't flown them.

In reply to "best Rev," for my definition of "best" and personal preference, it's the Rev II followed by the vented 1.5 SLE. I'm not into precision or team, so the B's flex isn't my thing most of the time. If the mood hits, I put it on the lines and in the air.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Watty

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:45 AM »

Quite honestly, I do not like the spirit. Any rev is superior to the spirit in every way.
what crap....
just because someone likes revs does not make the rev superior in any way.....

i have Decas....and revs are not crap....just not my favorite to fly....i have flown a spirit...it is more organic and flowing while flying than a rev is....more deca-ish....

it is not as precise as a rev is....i will give you that....
but come on the
Quote from: Watty
The only redeeming quality it has when compared to a Rev is that it has a snazzy look to it.
coming from you that is pretty condescending if you ask me.......i would have thought that Paul designed a few good things into it....he might know a thing or two about kites....

but...oh wait...
EVERYONE MUST BOW DOWN TO REVOLUTION

cavers: if you have it fly it....that is simple....just fly.....and enjoy it....try a rev if you want to...but do not feel that you need to to be out there...personally i feel the quality of a Spirit made by Paul (and if this is an original it is his) is a heck of a lot better than lots of other kites out there!!!!

I think you forget that this is my opinion. I have spent time on a spirit, and I could not stand it. It just doesn't perform the way I want it to. I have no doubts of the quality of the kite, but quite frankly, I haven't found anything on the spirit that the rev cannot do better. You can disagree with me all you want, but cavers asked for opinions, and that it what I gave.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:00 AM »

no i did not forget that at all...maybe you should have typed "In my opinion any rev is far sup..." then it would have reflected your opinion....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:13 AM »

So now that we have Rev fans and Spirit fans, what about Airbow fans? Funny how the Airbow fell off the radar like a stone in water.

If it's style you're after and the Spirit moves you, then go with it! That's part of what I love about kites: their style and their craftsmanship. Guys like Ken McNeill, Tim Benson, Lam Hoac, and Jon Trennepohl are artists and I'm proud to have a piece of their art.

(Spence might not like the way the Spirit performs but for some, it's just loving the kite in the sky more than how it moves. I can appreciate that. Me, I'm still dreaming of the Ichiban. I just spent $375 for a Vitamix blender for my wife - maybe she'll return the favor with an Ichiban some day.)

Bob D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum