GWTW Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BMK Mamba Standard vs Vented??  (Read 2561 times)
HiNator86
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: September 06, 2018, 11:44 AM »

I am purchasing a BMK Mamba. I need help on which one to get, the standard or vented. I fly on the shores of Lake Michigan, and I'm not a fan of lighter winds. I have a Prism Quantum, Nexus and Jazz. I like flying all of them I just want a lager and more of a premium kite.
I'm not much of a trickster on a kite, I just like the pull of the bigger framed kites. I don't like foils, so please refrain from saying I should buy one. I'd like to someday get a Thor's Hammer or maybe bigger!
So please, I'm Just looking for the comparison of the BMK Mamba Standard vs Vented!

Thanks
Nate

The Bigger the Better!!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:32 PM »

You should buy a foil!  Wink

But my thinking is: if you like some pull, a vented kite makes no sense at all.

A few vents will give you more control in strong winds.

Krijn
coop
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 02:56 PM »

You want some pull? Buy an old school NSR or Hawaiian.
HiNator86

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 03:30 PM »

Thanks for the replies so far! It helps out! Can I get some Mamba owners opinions?

Thanks
Nate

The Bigger the Better!!
bt
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 04:38 PM »

But my thinking is: if you like some pull, a vented kite makes no sense at.
Krijn

Yes this is the rule of thumb.....sooo....
You're going to have to buy both....one for the pull and when that kite is overpowered you switch to the vented....best of both worlds.
Congrats on your purchase.....amazing amazing amazing kite!!!!! Post pix please.

Mamba (standard) owner here....a multitude of BMK and Aerie's actually...
I however am the opposite...I like light winds....but like you am not a trickster per se.
Having said that.....see the above quote....
If it's pull you want get a standard as it will also handle a pretty good breeze anyway.
I have a standard Aerie Air fx and a vented......close enough to a Mamba for the written word.
I'll fly the standard Air fx and if the wind picks up I'll switch to the vented and the pull goes way down....
So you are really in the typical (and wonderful) kite conundrum......one or the other....nah just get them both. One day though you're gonna like lighter winds....so ya may as well get an UL
as well... Cool
bt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 06:21 PM »

The Mamba is NOT the kite to get for dual line pull.

But if you insist...

Order the Mamba vented in the colors you like

Have Ken make the vent panels closable with cover panels

Have Ken frame the kite heavy.

Ken will probably charge a premium for these changes.

Personally, I'd suggest getting an NSR or other beast in high wind.

I own more KMac kites than any other brand or individual.

Also, write to Ken on the subject. See what he says.

HiNator86

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 07:15 PM »

So that is the second mention of the NSR, but what kite is that?
I guess I may just have to get both!! 😉

Thanks
Nate
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:38 AM by HiNator86 » Logged

The Bigger the Better!!
kenmcneill
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:56 PM »

FWIW, I suggested to Nate that he post here and solicit the advice of Mamba owners to help in the choice of std vs vent.  I've always been under the impression that the word of somebody that's spent hard-earned money on something carries more weight than that of the person that's trying to sell said thing.

I generally suggest that people start with the standard version of a kite unless you have a very compelling reason to do otherwise. The standard is usually the most well rounded offering, and typically has the widest wind range and the most design-true performance. I recommend the std. to practically everybody that's buying their first BMK kite, as I did with Nate.

Nate, the NSR is the North Shore Radical, which was made by Top of the Line Kites in the late 80's and early 90's. Big, loud, and hard pulling. If you want to be dragged down the beach in 20mph wind, the NSR, or a similar kite, would be a good way to go.

Ken McNeill
stitcher & floor sweeper - BMK

Ken McNeill
craftsman, tinkerer, kitemaker
https://bluemoonkites.net
DavidB
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 09:13 PM »

I have a full range of Mambas (UL, STD, vented). I am not a fan of kites that pull hard. The UL and STD start to have lots of vibration in the lower leading edges before the pull gets too hard for me, so this may not be enough pull for you. In general I find the STD pulls harder than the vented (although I havenít flown it much above 20 mph). So you will probably be happier with the STD.

Either way, you will not be disappointed- they are really nice to fly and a big and noticeable step up from what you have.
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 12:19 AM »

I've always been under the impression that the word of somebody that's spent hard-earned money on something carries more weight than that of the person that's trying to sell said thing.

Ken McNeill
stitcher & floor sweeper - BMK

Kiss

very nice!
HiNator86

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 03:49 AM »

Thank you for all you good responses! I'm looking forward  to working with Ken on my Mamba STD!

From what I gather, it may not pull like a foil, but I'll be happy with it! I have plenty of entry level kites, now it is time to get a Premium kite!

I'll post pictures when I get it!

Thanks to All,
Nate
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:10 AM by HiNator86 » Logged

The Bigger the Better!!
kenmcneill

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 04:21 AM »

I have a full range of Mambas (UL, STD, vented). I am not a fan of kites that pull hard. The UL and STD start to have lots of vibration in the lower leading edges before the pull gets too hard for me...

Thanks David.
How old is your Mamba std? Do you know what tube is in the leading edge?

Ken McNeill
coop
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 07:44 AM »

The Mamba is NOT the kite to get for dual line pull.

But if you insist...

Order the Mamba vented in the colors you like

Have Ken make the vent panels closable with cover panels

Have Ken frame the kite heavy.

Ken will probably charge a premium for these changes.

Personally, I'd suggest getting an NSR or other beast in high wind.

I own more KMac kites than any other brand or individual.

Also, write to Ken on the subject. See what he says.

This. I have owned all variations of the Mamba. Get it built heavy for strong winds. The standards wing tips will shudder in high winds.
DavidB
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 12:21 PM »

I have a full range of Mambas (UL, STD, vented). I am not a fan of kites that pull hard. The UL and STD start to have lots of vibration in the lower leading edges before the pull gets too hard for me...

Thanks David.
How old is your Mamba std? Do you know what tube is in the leading edge?

Ken,
The std is about 4 years old and has P3X leading edge.
I also emailed you about getting some more Mambas now that you are making them again.
David
kenmcneill

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 02:00 PM »

The std is about 4 years old and has P3X leading edge...

David - I just wrote you back, but I figured I'd respond here also "for the record."  I supplied custom Mambas for a well known kite team several years ago, and they were getting the shuddering also on the stds. We swapped out the P3X's for Nitros, and they only shudder a bit at the very top end, where they are usually already into their vents. The Nitro tube is now the spec for the Mamba  std, as well as the vent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:11 PM by kenmcneill » Logged

Ken McNeill
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom