GWTW Forum
March 23, 2019, 12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardest pulling foil kite for the money?  (Read 892 times)
Jesse Day
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: September 23, 2018, 09:39 AM »

I'm wanting a hard pulling kite. Eventually I'd like one can jump with, but not initially.  Any advise?   I'm leaning towards a Flexifoil sting 3.3 to start.

Rev Exp
Prism Synapse 170
Flexifoil sting 1.2
Flexifoil rage 3.5,4.7,6 meter
Pkd century 8m
riffclown

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:24 PM »

Please don't think of trying to jump with a kite smaller than 5 meters square. Given enough wind almost any power foil can launch you. Landing requires a lot more skill AND a kite that provides enough float to land safely.  That being said, the Twister is a kite commonly used for jumping. The Flexifoil Blade is another lifty kite.

As you posted this in beginners section, start with a kite you can learn to fly first. Then once your skill level supports the venture, get some guidance from a seasoned flier. The last thing we want is for you to be a statistic. Part of that is selfish on my part. I'd hate for my favorite flying places to be closed to kites because someone injured themselves by not thinking it all the way through.
riffclown

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 01:34 PM »

Here's a few small jumps with a 8.5M Blade under controlled conditions. (no gusts, light wind and safety gear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56tCHrz9cNc
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 01:49 PM »

With power kites, money=size=pull/lift. So, the more money you can afford, the greater pull/lift you can have. I personally would suggest a larger kite to be used in winds of the moderate to lighter side of what you typically encounter where you fly. If you buy a kite that's too small, you might wind up tempted to go out on days that are too windy to be safe while you're learning, and flying in too much wind is just another way to damage equipment or body parts. Ideally, you'll want a kite you can power up to do what you want, but just as important that you can power down immediately if needed.  Search You Tube for power kite "lofting" for examples of people flying too big a kite for the conditions. Once you're airborne, if you can't control or command your descent, you no longer go where you want to. Wind's in control. Have fun, but be safe!
Jesse Day

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 02:43 PM »

Thank you all for the advice!  I've heard similar things from other people but this just helps reinforce it...... Much appreciated!

Rev Exp
Prism Synapse 170
Flexifoil sting 1.2
Pkd century 8m
Jesse Day

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 02:47 PM »

The blade 8.5 looks fun, and expensive!

Rev Exp
Prism Synapse 170
Flexifoil sting 1.2
Pkd century 8m
riffclown

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 03:11 PM »

The blade 8.5 looks fun, and expensive!

It's a nice kite indeed. They pop up occasionally on the used market.. Be patient and keep an eye out in the For Sale section. I picked up one for myself recently..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites