GWTW Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero plus trick kite opinions.  (Read 592 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: October 27, 2018, 08:59 AM »

Looking to get my 1st 0 wind trick kite. The ones I'm considering most are ITW Echo. Mostly due to low cost and ITW is my "kinda" local kite shop. Devins opinion on the Echo is a huge influence. Level one Amazing Outdoor. Not sure about 0 wind but here it's never dead calm for long. Seems like it would be tough for my skill set and would handle 8 mph gusts well. Kaiju would be a little trick monster but I'm not a indoor or urban flier for now. The sudden gusts could brutalize it pretty fast.Air One Grid extra SUL and the Black Arrow 2 panel sul have REALLY got my attention. Don't know enough about the Skinny tubes on the Grid or replacement issues. Leaning more towards the Arrow because of Sky Shark framing. I think the Grid would have more flex and would power up a little slower getting me out of a gust easier but I don't know. I'm a fairly impatient, heavy handed flyer but am learning the lighter touches more rapidly as I go. For reference over the last year the kites I've acquired and can't see leaving are the Zephyr and Tekken sul for 2 to 12 mph. 3/4 standards Psycho,Nighthawk and Black Dog. Full size standards Hydra, Mongoose and Widow Maker Pro. High wind kites Mind Trick vented and Delta Hawk. There are others  Smiley. I want a Fearless 2 light vented for the gusties that in 10 minutes go from 5 to 15+ mph and back down again. For now I need a 0 wind trick kite. If Sky Burner builds some kites soon I'll have a black WMP sul (standard is white). It'll fit in with the Zephyr and Tekken nicely. Should be quite different then those 2.It's been said by everyone with experience the 0 to 5 mph is the hardest to learn.Finding that to be utterly true.25+ is scary, exhilarating and I can't do it for much more than an hour for now.15 to 25 mph is the most fun and exciting. The low winds the most rewarding. 8 to 15 gives me both the fun and reward.Problem is finding a 0 wind kite that'll fit the best for now.Think I'm going to need 3 and want more.Opinions vary greatly and the most when researching this type of kite. As they should. Cost is a factor cause I don't want to sell any of my old school kites but will if the higher end kites can be justified with my current skill set.Took the advice to spend my 1st year flying instead of getting side tracked with sewing and modding. That ends next month but it's going to be a good while before I'll build my own 0 wind kite. Going to start with a smaller type 30+ wind 4mm carbon rod framed (from ITW Cadet) kite cause the ugly sewing won't matter SEW much as it's screaming towards the ground LOL.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
breezin

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:54 AM »

Well been on here a year now  Smiley. Signed up before I got my first kite. One of the smarter things I've ever done. Thanks to you folks I sure got some cool,cool kites over the last year.Lots of researching and flying. Maybe I've retained 10% of what I still want to know.Still pleasantly confused looking for a outdoor 0 plus wind trickster though. Guess the obvious answer is to build my own Sixth Sense SUL  Grin. Think I'm at a level 4 in flying skills. Learning how to build over the next year and making hands on sense in why kites do what they do will start pulling all this stuff together. Might even make it to level 5 LOL.Funny how the more my flying improves the harder improving gets.Good thing is the fun just keeps getting more and more fun. Never laughed at myself so much in my life learning this stuff.At times laughing so hard I have to stop and go to my knees. Like some of you I think maybe just maybe I might have peed a bit too  Embarrassed. Got some pretty sweet SUL winds now so get to fly my Tekken today. Most important thing I've learned this last year is this mantra. Fly it, break it, fix it, fly it again, repeat as needed.This kiting thing has by far and away exceeded my expectations. Love it!! From my heart and soul many,many thanks to all  Smiley.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:35 PM »

The Echo is a great kite.  I love mine(original focus kites version).  Keep in mind though that 0-2 is not easy to trick in and everything you know so far will not really apply.  It is truly a dance with the kite and you have to be smooth.
skb
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:18 AM »

Lam Hoac has been flying his new Indoor kite at the park.
VIP Gravity II

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 12:57 PM »

The recently introduced KiteForge Kaiju is a really nice indoor/outdoor kite

Allen, AKA kitehead
breezin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 04:02 PM »

Mowed a 300' by 350' flying field and got it pretty smooth now. Yesterday winds for a few hours never hit 4 mph when the wind poofed a bit. Spent some time on the Zephyr with 50' x 50# then put up the Tekken. Lots of walking back and forth across the field to say the least. Winds went to 4 and 5 towards the end and went up on 80'. Not a great day till the end but still worth the effort. Today winds are the same but the melting snow is pretty slippery so no flying. When first starting out on my Widow ng in low winds I began to bounce the kite up and down. That taught me to fly that kite in lower than stated winds. Doing that with the Addiction really gave me the confidence to practice tricks closer to the ground. I take all my kites to their bottom range and bounce them around at times. I've got so many broken parts now that when I get a another kite my 1st flight is in low winds to where it's difficult to fly. Think it helps me learn the kite quicker and help keep the damage to a minimum. Not pulling a kite out of the air is still a issue but getting smoother with my inputs. I'm confident I won't destroy a light kite now. Well maybe a little but not totally. When Barrasi was in the last stages of getting the Kaiju out we had a short discussion on it and the Amazing Outdoor. I got the impression that because of the gusts here the Kaiju wouldn't get much air time. In one video a gust has it bowing pretty good. Came in for a snack yesterday and just about called Lam to see what he'd build. Seeing that Gravity video link today sure gave me some aha moments and a big grin. Lam and Air One kites are pretty pricey. My wallet, brain and common sense say get the Echo. So much mylar in the Cesium Continental concerns me due to my skills. My emotion and ego say wait and save. I'm a convert and believe Lams kites are well worth the money. I'll see how long my patience lasts. Many more days like the last 2 and it won't. Echo is only a 2 1/2 hour drive away.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom