GWTW Forum
December 18, 2018, 06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPAR-SPREADER PULLERS  (Read 1475 times)
Big Bri pork pie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 02, 2018, 06:26 AM »

SPAR PULLERs
I seem to remember years ago and i dont know who had one or which company sold them,Spar/Spreader Pullers.So much so,i actually haven't seen one for years and even doubt if i may have dreamed it up while flying in my sleep.The newer almost Jelly fittings do realy grab spars and spreaders well.My worst thing i find about kite flying now is,Going Home after a great day and Pulling Spars out without getting narked with myself.
Age,joint issues prompt me asking.I wondered if anyone knows of them,best one and if they actually work.

In my dream they did Wink.
Thanks in advance.

BBPP
HiNator86
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:46 AM »

I have one, it is blue, but I'm at work Cry Cry and it's at home. I'll check when I get back home. I've never used it, so I don't know how it works.

I'll take some pictures and post them if someone doesn't help you out sooner!

Nator

The Bigger the Better!!
midibot

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:10 AM »

SPAR PULLERs
I seem to remember years ago and i dont know who had one or which company sold them,Spar/Spreader Pullers.So much so,i actually haven't seen one for years and even doubt if i may have dreamed it up while flying in my sleep.The newer almost Jelly fittings do realy grab spars and spreaders well.My worst thing i find about kite flying now is,Going Home after a great day and Pulling Spars out without getting narked with myself.
Age,joint issues prompt me asking.I wondered if anyone knows of them,best one and if they actually work.

In my dream they did Wink.
Thanks in advance.

BBPP

Might this be the thing of your dreams? Got a couple from Dan waaaay back when, dunno where the other one went. May have given it away.

This one is more of a 'pusher' I guess, depending on perspective...

Fly your pants off
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:10 AM »

You can make an improvise one by getting some of the thick black tubing we used to use for connectors, cut it diagonally at about 30degree then square the end off
Lay the cut section on the spar, 'pointy' end into the APA then push on the blunt end with your thumb

Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 11:38 AM »

I have used "arrow pullers" to separate spars and fittings.

You can see a picture of one at https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/easton-wedge-arrow-puller?a=1746839&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5pjIlqy23gIVCbnACh0PPwdoEAQYBCABEgKaJPD_BwE

Sherman Myers
Alpine, Utah
Big Bri pork pie

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 03:16 PM »

Thanks Gents.Glad i wasn't or hadn't imagined it.Like the arrow puller idea and the reviews are v good.Havent seen the one in my dream yet  Grin.I think ther was also a girl in a Bikini in that dream Cheesy.I am gona give my pal Tony a call[retailer of kites]and see what he has or knows on the subject.

Thanks again all.

BBPP

HiNator86

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 06:00 AM »

Here is my spar remover. It is different than the others.

The Bigger the Better!!
Charles G
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 06:00 AM »

The Kite Klaw, no longer made, and the Premier Extracto winder, still available, both work quite well to remove spars from their connectors.

midibot

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 07:14 AM »

The Kite Klaw, no longer made, and the Premier Extracto winder, still available, both work quite well to remove spars from their connectors.
[...pic omitted for space...]

Egad, I have a few of those Premier winders and it never occurred to me to use those wider slots that way. The name cited is a definite clue, however ("Extracto"). Don't see the name on mine but it may be buried under the line.

What is also appealing about this one is that the removal tool isn't just another thing to have with you. Very efficient that way -- must try it.

(Edit: Just pulled out one of mine -- it is somewhat longer than some of my other winders, but then again that is more gather per wind!).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:16 AM by midibot » Logged

Fly your pants off
Big Bri pork pie

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 07:42 AM »

Waw,i believe i have a few of the extracto ones somewhere. Never realy thought thats what it could be used for.Thought it was an equaliser tool and line keeper.Hope i have some.

Great shout,Thanks alot for posting.

BBPP
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 08:01 AM »

Got a few older kites with vinyl connectors. ALWAYS uncomfortable taking apart.When it's cold a few other kites kinda suck too. DIY idea is great. Paul at Into the Wind has one similar to the green one pictured.Only one I've ever seen.Have 1 extracto that came with my Nighthawk. Never use it on other kites cause it's always got line wrapped around it  Smiley. Like that green one. Kinda clumsy and that would put my kites at less risk. Especially when it's freezing. If someone has access to a 3d printer and would make a run of them I'd pitch in for 4.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 01:01 PM »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, Probably GWTW forum 1.0 or earlier, there was considerable discussion of "lubricating" your spars prior to kite assembly. There was many preferences argued in reference to which was better, nose sweat or forehead sweat. On all but the coldest of days, you have enough oil on your skin to make spar removal easier. So, you'd see flyers rubbing their spars on their noses, then assembling their kites.

I've found that in a real pinch, the back side of a key makes a fair tool. Don't use your house key or car key, just in case they bend.
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 02:45 PM »

Rubbing my nose stuff seems a little problematic. Booger gets stuck in a connector might never get the spars out. Got some teflon spray. Boogers were fun a long,long time ago  Smiley.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 04:43 PM »

OUTSIDE of your nose, ya weirdo Shocked Roll Eyes Do not ever put a spar up your nose. That's just wrong Tongue  Seriously though, after you've been outside for a bit, got a bit of sweat going, run both fingers on the bridge of your nose, right where your shades are resting. That little bit of greasiness is usually enough for APA fittings. Old vinyl on cold days used to be a huge problems, so those of you flying all those neat NOS kites, use care. Also, practice proper technique when removing stubborn spars, and put your hand underneath the connector, between the spar and the sail. Nothing ruins a nice day of flying more than poking a hole in you sail while removing a stubborn spar.
Big Bri pork pie

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 12:44 AM »

Apart from spending 20 minutes trying to find the upper spreader for my Prism Zephyr.Which after checking 5 or 6 similar kites to see if it was in with them.I remembered the upper spreader is attached.....Arghhh. Newbie or what...... Roll Eyes. Spoke with Tony my pal and he hasnt ever sold anything for spar pulling.Decathlon Sports which is a large multi sport/Hobby retailer have numerous archery items that lend themselves to kites.Shafts,Nocks,Carbon,Pullers.They also do a lube i will take a look at later Today.
   Thanks for posting the images everyone.Should help many and your never to clever to learn,but i am sure in my dream,it was a,, T,, shaped puller/pusher.Maybe me though.

BBPP
     Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom