GWTW Forum
March 22, 2019, 02:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need cheap, non telescoping, banner poles?  (Read 1298 times)
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« on: November 07, 2018, 08:02 AM »

I keep an eye on this fishing rod company for blank rods that could be used for banner poles and windsock poles....
They are blowing out some rod blanks right now very affordably!
http://www.mudhole.com/OEM-VSR2127 12' pole, two pieces for 12$.....

Phenomenal for cheap rods to start building a wind garden!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:35 AM »

What is a Crappie?

Mike
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:42 AM »

Crappies are a genus, Pomoxis, of North American fresh water fish in the sunfish family Centrarchidae. Both species in this genus are popular pan fish. (wikipedia!)

This is not me - fish nor human!)

Most of the telescoping fiberglass fishing poles that are used to hoist up banners or windsocks were actually fishing poles.

HiNator86
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:26 AM »

That's a go idea! Thanks for the tip! How do you stake them in the ground? Do you just press them in or do you have a metal rod that you put it on? Pictures would be great!

Thanks
Nator

The Bigger the Better!!
Force 10
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL North Shore Radical 99”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Crystal Kite Chainlink 93"
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Oldgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:35 AM »

You're going to need a rod of some kind to fit the pole over.  Some folks use something as simple as rebar.  You can get solid fiberglass rods that are nice and don't damage the inside of your pole.  If you use a metal rod I might suggest that you put a bit of tubing or like on the end to help protect your new poles.  Since the poles are tapered it only takes a couple of inches on the end.
 Smiley
HiNator86
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 10:36 AM »

You're going to need a rod of some kind to fit the pole over.  Some folks use something as simple as rebar.  You can get solid fiberglass rods that are nice and don't damage the inside of your pole.  If you use a metal rod I might suggest that you put a bit of tubing or like on the end to help protect your new poles.  Since the poles are tapered it only takes a couple of inches on the end.
 Smiley

Thanks! I think I have some broken, left over driveway makers that would work good for that! I may have to make a rebar one to make hole first! The ground is frozen here!! LOL

I'll post pictures when I get mine and get it done! I'd like to see what you guys do as well!

Nator

The Bigger the Better!!
Force 10
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL North Shore Radical 99”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Crystal Kite Chainlink 93"
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Oldgoat

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 10:00 AM »

Hummm,,,,not sure about driveway markers.  If you have a fair size banner you might be surprised at the force when the wind picks up.  You might want to consider something more substantial.  Also, if you are going to use the so called feather banner or similar you probably want to devise a way to affix it to the pole at the bottom.  With a sleeved banner when the pole bends with the wind the banner will peel right off if not attached somehow.

Smiley
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 11:11 AM »

I use 1/2" wood dowels as cheap, light ground poles...
Gomberg/Windfeathers has always been a proponent of using the white fiberglass 1/2" poles that are -i think- for electric fences. Nice, long lasting but heavier to carry.

For sure attach the banner to the bottom, the wind can suck them right off and send em flying!  basic wrap of electrical tape or masking tape works.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites