GWTW Forum
November 14, 2018, 11:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We’ve lost a great one !  (Read 981 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 07:17 PM »

White Bird Lover and I are trying to figure out how to get Bubba to my house. I live on disability and some small side deals now and again.I got $50.00 to pitch in for transportation to Colorado Springs CO and a good home for Bubba. Would love to have Mike and Pam's cat. Need some help in saving Bubba from a kiteless home or WORSE. WBL and I are going to call the Humane society in San Diego and go from there. Maybe some of you could call them too. Mission SAVE THE FREAKING CAT is a go.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
skb
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 07:22 PM »

Is this Bubba?

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
breezin

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 07:44 PM »

I think so.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 04:59 AM »

Does anyone know what happened to Mike? Was he ill?

White Bird Lover
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 06:54 AM »

Mike did have some heart issues, he was found in his home. A neighbor had invited him to dinner and he failed to show. Coronor noted Halloween night or Thursday as likely time frame. Haven’t heard anything more at this time.
breezin

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 09:37 AM »

Okie dokey got the go ahead from Steve. Here's a plan subject to better ideas if anyone has one. We could hold a raffle for a kite to get Bubba off death row and out of jail. There is a kite club in San Diego so maybe some one from there could get Bubba for now. I can put up my Hawaiian Team kites if needed but I think something else would garner more attention. Greedy jerk that I am I would want to keep $225.00 of the proceeds for the kites IF there was money left over. If someone who knows how to run a raffle and administer the proceeds could take charge that would be great. I can make travel arrangements. Talked to Marieanne T earlier and she called Bubba the miracle cat. He's old and was their baby. Let's not let him pass frightened and alone.

coop
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 10:19 AM »

I can probably put a kit up for the cause.
In fact Ill put up a mint never assembled or flown original Hawaiian. All proceeds to help Bubba, anything above whats needed to go to the forum.
Ill pay for shipping in the CONUS. If someone outside the states wins we'll work it out.
Should we post the raffle info on social media as well?

Winner gets his choice of one of three colors.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:30 AM by coop » Logged
breezin

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 11:16 AM »

Very cool. I'll also donate this A condition Skynasaur Classic 96 and winder for the raffle [/img].That would give us 3 winners for the cause. I get the cat so I will not enter the raffle. Called the San Diego Humane society this morning. Didn't have enough info to locate Bubba but White Bird Lover does I believe. They're no kill so we have time. Bubba is old so he might not be able to fly. I'll drive to San Diego to get him if I have to. Need some help doing this. DO NOT want to screw this up.

breezin

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 11:36 AM »

Dang I got a pink one and a green one. Now that I think about it I want the want the blue one too LOL. I'm not on anything but here and Kite Life. Once I figure out how to do this it should go on social media.If no one steps in to administer proceeds can go to my PayPal account. Makes me real nervous though.That's a lot of trust to put in someone no one has met face to face. Although a few of you know where I live  Cheesy.After Bubba's expenses all left over proceeds should definitely go to the forum. Adoption fees and travel expenses will be posted. If I have to drive I'll feed myself.

White Bird Lover

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 11:37 AM »

Well, I just talked with Emily at the SDHS and the status of Bubba is not good.
I knew he had been in declining health but couldn’t remember what Mike had told me. The vet said he is in a state of rapid decline and would not likely survive even a drive to Co. They could not give me a time frame (likely date) but it is likely Bubba will be humainly euthanized, cremated, and his ashes but out to sea. A raffle would be a nice jesture for Pam, Mike and Bubba. Proceeds to SDHS and other causes as seen fit. Thank you all for your loving kindness.
Anthony
coop

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 11:49 AM »

Im still on board to raffle for Mike, Pam, and Bubba.
breezin

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 12:20 PM »

Well that just sucks. I'm sure they're taking good care of Bubba. Thanks Anthony. We gave it a helluva try. If you all would like to proceed with the raffle maybe a memorial plaque/statue/painting or something somewhere in Long Beach WA where the WSIKF is held? Maybe something at the kite museum? Somewhere else? I believe Pam was the first female kite champion. Hers and Mikes passion and devotion to this kite stuff could and should remain a inspiration for years to come. If so I'll contact the museum and city to see what can be done. Maybe they would just prefer we donate to a cause in their name and let them slip gracefully into history without a fuss. Or just end it here. Those that new and loved them decide. Really would have loved taking care of that cat. Gonna go fly for a bit.

White Bird Lover

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 01:17 PM »

Great idea, how will it be handled? Portion to SDHS balance to support GWTW forum without which we would all be in the dark...
coop

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 04:24 PM »

Great idea, how will it be handled? Portion to SDHS balance to support GWTW forum without which we would all be in the dark...

I'll let you guys figure it out. Lol!
Just tell me who wins and I'll ship the kite to em.
breezin

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 07:55 PM »

Think this would be cool.Could be a little overly ambitious but what the heck.Have a plaque made with a image of Bubba sitting at the top. About 1/2 way down his body on either side a image of Mike and Pam. Above Bubba the heading would read Inspired by Bubba the owner of Mike Dennis and Pam Kirk followed by his year of birth and death. We could then make a timeline of the 20 most influential fliers and builders from around the world over the last 30 or so years. Image of person, short telling of their contribution to kiting, date of birth and death. I'm not thinking picture.More of a outline of their face that someone who new them or had seen pictures of them would recognize. A tidbit to maybe want some folks to research more and maybe inspire. This would have to be durable and lightweight Made out of panels so it can be assembled and shipped around the world to major kiting events. Something that could be set up next to the main entrance of a kiting event and really pop in a refined way to garner attention. Thinking hard molded plastic panels covered by thin copper for the back drop,and etching. Lightweight tough clear removable covers for the front of the panels.How it would be further accented I have no clear idea. 8' tall by 4' wide to start or 4' tall, 8' wide. Panels 2' x 2'. 4 anchor points to keep it from blowing over.Morbid but panels can be added as needed. Maybe it could be displayed at the Long Beach museum when not being used. Festival organizers could utilize it for the cost of shipping and insurance to replace just in case. If it works we could do further raffles and have a few scattered from Dubai to Sao Paulo. On the back there could be a record of all the events each one had been to and who won the contests if any. Having thin removable coverings for the panels would allow inserts for the persons bio in any language. I could do this for $762,00 U.S. dollars with a 3 year window to complete. I'm sure we can find someone to do it better, faster and cheaper though. I think I got it right that John Chilese would run the raffle and at least for now Coop and I would donate the kites. Coops 1st place mine 2nd. A 3rd kite would help. If this sounds good I'll start looking for a artist asap and get bids.I'll call the museum in Long Beach WA. Monday. Hopefully they'll be onboard.I'll post drawings as I get them and we can exchange ideas as we go. If someone is or knows a great artist post up some drawings. Our sport needs a boost. Most people like I was have no idea how cool or what a challenge this kite stuff is.Maybe this could help enlighten a few.If nothing else it would make us all feel good and smile everytime we think about  it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom