GWTW Forum
January 18, 2019, 09:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering Pam, Mike and soon Bubba  (Read 781 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 11, 2018, 02:06 PM »

I have been reading some very thoughtful ideas about

a raffle for some form of remembrance of Pam and Mike.

Perhaps before we get too far along, we discuss how best

to remember them and what they meant to many of us.

My own thoughts on the subject would be that whatever

money is made, be donated in their honor to a kite related

subject such as the AKA or a kite museum. I see them as

wanting their legacy, in part, to have a contribution to the

continuation of kiting. I am certainly open, and asking, for

your thoughts on the subject.  Smiley

Desertflier
Trade Count: (+33)

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 04:38 PM »

That would be nice John. I didn't know them but no doubt they were wonderful people.

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:57 PM »

Honestly, I think a display of their kites and a history write up in the Drachen foundation museum including all the kite magazine articles of them would be the best thing to do.  No two people have done more for kiting than them IMO.  Many kite companies have been helped along by them.  TOTL, Spectra Sports, SKynasaur, SKyburner, Chrystal kites, Premier and probably some others I don't know of as well as many independent designers and amateur kite builders.  Frankly the cat should be left out of it (kept separate from their kiting contributions).

Anthony
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:31 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:16 AM »

Quite frankly no he shouldn't. Here are 2 examples why. We were fortunate to have my mother in law live her last days with us. Our Akita knew she was not going to be with us long. He stayed with her constantly.She grew to love and depend on him. She passed in the night. When my wife went to check on her the dog was laying beside her with her arms wrapped around his neck. He was there for her countless times when no one else could be. I have issues from being t-boned in a car crash 6 years ago. The whiplash put a serious bulge on the side of my neck. Pretty much laid out for a couple years. Intense spasms kept me deteriorating instead of healing for a long time. They still come daily but less intense.Kiting has helped. Another MRI Friday. One of my cats kept trying to knead the bulge when the spasms would hit. Few months of that and I finally let her. It was amazing.Hurt like hell at the start but she just purred and kneaded away until the spasms subsided. Last night was kinda rough and she did it again. Bubba lived with Pam and Mike for 18 years. Mike had no family but Pam and Bubba. When Pam was weakening and Mike still had to take care of things it was Bubba that was with her most and made life a little more gentle for all three. It was Bubba that was there for Mike after Pams passing and Mike was there for Bubba. They comforted each other in their grief.From what a good friend of theirs told me the bond between the three was pretty amazing. The friend called Bubba the miracle cat.To not see the point that Bubba was the INSPIRATION that got conversation going not the FOCUS is ignorant. Posting that I TAINTED them with a IDEA by including a being they loved was incredibly rude and stupid. When a person walks into a top notch artist studio with a concept they usually leave with something unexpected. Expectations surpassed. I won't comment any further.My kite will still be up for the raffle.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Big Bri pork pie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:41 AM »

What a Shame about ther Cat.
  Every Thursday after School.I used to watch my Grandfathers dog watch the clock as it waited for my Grandfather to come home from the Pit[coal mine]after his death,so sad.I also could see the bond they had when my Grandfather was alive.40+yrs down a Coal mine and fought in the Jungle in a world war.A Gentle ,but hard Man,quite,purposeful. Wouldn't talk about his service much.Never spoke ill of anyone[apart from a rare comment about the Japs,its what he called them],never swore,always stood up for a Woman,smart dressed,polite.Cant say i herd him raise his voice.Violence wasn't i thought in his DNA.

Apart from the day two builders kicked his dog.

I fed that dog best Lamb Chops every Thursday without fail after that and after my Grandfather died.Just like me and my Grandfather used to and because my Grandfather would have wanted me to.I also wanted to,out of Respect and his love for that dog.

BBPP

White Bird Lover
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 06:45 PM »

I haven't had the heart to check in about Bubba, I suspect his ashes are 'out to sea' by now. i've been very sad about loosing Mike. We'd never met in person but, I'd sent them a towel set with Xmas trees on it after he'd told me about a year they couldn't afford a tree. Least they were ever without a tree again. That cemented our friendship, they were the 'best friends I'd never met'. So thankful for the time we had.
I'm also grateful for this forum and all it contributes to the lives of it's members. Happy 'Thanksgiving Day' to all, take a moment to remember all the kindnesses that have come your way through the ones who care for you...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:24 PM by White Bird Lover » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites