GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strong wind..damage  (Read 1055 times)
DonCrash
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 08, 2009, 10:58 PM »

So the kids (teenagers actually) decided to fly my Quantum in winds blowing @35 mph during our trip. Lets just say it wasnt even 30 seconds till the line snapped (line weight: 150lbs). I did have a heavier line with me, and it would of been nice if the kids mentioned that they wanted to fly, i would of said no at those wind speeds. Grrr....

I've checked the kite n so far I dont see anything wrong with any of pieces, seems intact to me (spars, retainers, spine, spreaders, etc).

The sail seems fine, but I don't think I have the right judgement for something like that.
I have not had a chance to fly the kite since then, and wont have the time to do so till next week.

So what kind of potential damage could have happened to the sail? What should I look for? Or did I just make a useless thread, (I hope not).

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:15 PM »

Did that at SF marina green the other day. Winds werer gusting to 45mph, then i dawned on me why dont i check my handy dandy Kaindl windtronic2 and blammo- no more flying kites. Cuz they'll end up busted kites! They sell the little 15$ windmeters, no display, no batteries, just a wind reading.

If they didnt lawn dart it hard enough you ought to be fine. Maybe a new line-set to relace old one?

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38 PM »

You should check for any stitches which may have torn.

Also check the bridle for any separation or weakened areas.

Beyond that, fly it until you break it I guess.

Although at 45 mph, people have a hard time even standing up.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:43 PM »

I've checked the kite n so far I dont see anything wrong with any of pieces, seems intact to me (spars, retainers, spine, spreaders, etc).

Without knowing the details of the crash, it's kind of hard to say.  The Quantum will take a fair amount of abuse.

If the sail looks good, start checking for cracks in the standoffs and spars that might lead to something more serious the next time you are out.

Make sure that the stopppers for the APA connectors are still firmly attached in place.

Make sure the Kinetic Dissipater hasn't been overtaxed. 

That's all I can think of.... I am sure others will chime in with additions.

Don't totally discount the option that you just got off lucky this time  Wink

ATB,
Sam
DonCrash
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:51 PM »

Cool...I'll check on those.

As far as more details go, the kite didnt lawn dart, however, both lines did snap at the same time  Shocked  Cry
Then the whole kite just fell apart and gravity took over.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:55 PM »

Cool...I'll check on those.

As far as more details go, the kite didnt lawn dart, however, both lines did snap at the same time  Shocked  Cry
Then the whole kite just fell apart and gravity took over.

If both lines snapped at the same time, I am assuming "fell apart" means that the one or more spars unseated from the APA fittings because of the "whiplash" effect.  If that was the case, it should have come down "fairly" soft with little or no damage (if one of the renegade spars didn't pierce the sail outright).

Why I am I still awake...sigh  Sad

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change