GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exile - UL - How many weights in the tail?  (Read 1847 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: September 09, 2009, 08:11 AM »

I recently got a new Exile-UL and with the standoffs in the central position I do find this kite VERY nose pitchy (left and right) without any weight. I have solved this problem by placing extra weight supplied by BMK in the lower central spine (of course). The kite is designed this way so that every flyer can tune the kite to their liking as every owner already knows. I understand this concept from the designer and starting to explore the positives and negatives of this kite. I find about FIVE of these weights sufficient for my flying style and preference after about six test flights. How much weight do you put into your Exile-UL lower central spine? It must also depend on the outer standoff position (three positions avaiable) with the usual treatment of moving the standoffs IN toward the central spine as the winds DECREASE. Do you change your weight total with standoff adjustments? Just curious on your fine tunings with this kite in terms of the supplied weights with this kite as compared to the three OUTER standoff positions? I guess one question which is on my mind - what is the stock setting for this kite. The designer of the kite told me it should initially be flown with the outer standoff in the central position and then just add weights till you get to your liking as the STARTING POINT.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:15 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:22 AM »

There was a great post about this on the old forum.

I also like the EUL with 5 weights on it, but if there is enough wind for that, then I would usually just fly the standard.  For me, I settled on 1 or no weights with the standoffs in the stock position and the bridle points moved in a little.  I usually fly it when the winds are very light - once up to 3 mph, I would move to the standard.

The big difference that I noticed with using lots more weight is that it makes the kite quickly settle into a turtle  and rollup rather than "floating" in or requiring a 2 pop.

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:34 AM »

5 weights ? Yowza ! I fly mine with 1, I thought that 2 was too much for light winds, and it was funky with none. But that's just me. I never realized much of a difference in moving the standoffs, and keep them in the middle position.
~Rob.

stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:53 AM »

I like the Exile UL with one tail weight and the outer standoffs moved to the outer position.  The outer position will give you a wider tunnel and a little more lift and feedback in lower winds.  You will also get more precision and less oversteer though oversteer is not really an issue with lower mass of the UL.

I also like to move bridle tow point (TP) down as low as practical for feedback and tighter turns. Move the TP down 1/8 to 1/4" until you start loosing forward drive. Then move back up until it feels good.   You should get good forward drive by applying a little tension on the lines. Spins will be nice and tight around the outer standoff and no oversteer.

As a rule of thumb, if you pull the bridle pigtail down towards the tips and pull both bridle lines taut, the larkshead knot will line up right on the lower spreader when the TP is at the stock position.  I fly the UL with the knot about 1/8 to 1/4" below the lower spreader

I don't do rollups on the UL so extra tail weight is not needed, more of a finesse kite in my opinion. This is what I like, YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:58 AM by stapp59 » Logged
streamhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43 AM »

I too thought that two weights was a bit much, sort of lost that nice floaty UL feel for me at that point. I use one weight and standoffs in center position. I'll go to the std. Exile with a bit more wind.

Bill
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56 AM »

If I am going to run weights in the UL, all Five.

But.

I don't run any as a general rule.
anOldMan

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:05 AM »

I use one weight at the very end of the spine and the stanoff in the middle.

This seems to work with my style and feel of the kite.  One of the big points of the BMK kite is the ability to adjust the kite to your feel and style of flying, what ever it is.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 05:10 PM »

I'm using 3 or 4 on average. Smiley

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47 PM »

For me in very very light (almost no ) wind I go without weights.

After about 2 mph I put on 1 tail weight....after 3 mph I pack it up and pull something else out.

Love the kite - it works very well as my SUL at the moment.

cheers

steve
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 01:17 PM »

HMMM ... it seems in very very light winds this kite may take on another character I have yet to experience. Will bring it along next time and instead of the Inner Space I will give this kite a go ... with one or no weights.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 03:22 PM »

With a Sea Devil or Fearless you don't add any weights (already installed), don't move the standoffs around or EVER mess with the bridle. No fooling around or guess work, just perfect right out of the box. Cool

"Do what you like"
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 06:21 PM »

I know ... but the QPRO-SUL, Ghost, Inner Space & Exile-UL have their own UNIQUE charm in very low winds in my opinion. I find the SUL wind range has no DOMINANT all-star kite. I am like you and totally LOCKED INTO Lam's kites but the SD-SUL I have to say does not dominate these I have previously mentioned ... again ... something about very low winds which opens my flying style/experience (or lack of?) to other possibilities ... some examples ... the ease of the 540's on the IS, the multi-lazies on the GHOST with just a flick of the wrist ... and the sharpness of JL's on the QPRO-SUL. I have a feeling the Exile-UL is more user friendly in very low winds in the 1-3 mph range. I guess what I am saying is these top end SULs seem to dominate in one area of trick flying (i.e., ease of performing a specific trick) above the others ... based on their unique construction.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change