GWTW Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL  (Read 1926 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 07:59 PM »

Building a super low wind kite is as difficult as building a stunt kite that can fly in 15 mph without much foot movement, wide tricking capability or work. I have gone through the full spectrum of Prism kites like the Ozone and others. These IMO are middle of the road. Sure people who know me know I am going to mention Lam Hoac. I first heard of the Tattoo around 10 years ago. People kept telling me get the Tattoo it works better than any SUL currently out there in terms of flying in the so-called NEAR ZERO spectrum. To this day I have not found or handled one that surpasses other than the Triple S which was custom made for me by Lam and is lighter and has a more fragile LE. As I mentioned earlier on another topic I go Benson IS/Triple S/Tattoo and then a SUL at this point his GPS-SUL. The Tattoo just works 1-2 mph better than his SUL in becoming airborne EVEN IN THE CORNERS. However I understand there is more activity in Europe now with these kite builders like PAW & Krijn but I do find it difficult that they can surpass these TWO low wind kites (Tattoo & Triple S). I do however believe that for Vented Kites there MUST be some easily equivalents or superior models to Lam's Vented models. Just a gut feeling as these guys fly in high winds all the time and have more kite builders experimenting across the pond. Every low wind kite I have purchased from Europe although not many have been sub-standard to these two IMO. I just use the Benson Inner Space indoor when the wind is almost absent (why put a mph number on that). I also figured you may do more inland flying than beach flying. BTW the Tattoo is for a place like Berkeley or a beach type environment and not inland where you experience up and down winds and occasional light gusts even below 5 mph. Not due to its durability but its a floater or simply a 1-3 mpg pure ocean wind kind of kite. The Tattoo currently has had some minor upgrades to its design BTW. Lam is coming out with this INDOOR/OUTDOOR model so I may explore that in 2019. As an example I tried the so-called GHOST from Europe ... your kidding me ... right?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Good luck on the WW model.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   
This I have to agree with for all but the inner space  I put the nik nak above the inner space for indoor myself BUT on the nik nak it needs bridle tweaks first.  For the inlands winds in the 1-3 range it's actualy a toss up for me.  I either grab my Eclipse STD (.2200 frame), Fearless light or IL2K (yes this actually does fly very well in 1-2 and quite tricky). Catching up to those now that I have a bit more time on the lines is my Prodancer UL(original not the current SUL).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:38 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
PaoloM
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 09:10 AM »

Building a super low wind kite is as difficult as building a stunt kite that can fly in 15 mph without much foot movement, wide tricking capability or work. I have gone through the full spectrum of Prism kites like the Ozone and others. These IMO are middle of the road. Sure people who know me know I am going to mention Lam Hoac. I first heard of the Tattoo around 10 years ago. People kept telling me get the Tattoo it works better than any SUL currently out there in terms of flying in the so-called NEAR ZERO spectrum. To this day I have not found or handled one that surpasses other than the Triple S which was custom made for me by Lam and is lighter and has a more fragile LE. As I mentioned earlier on another topic I go Benson IS/Triple S/Tattoo and then a SUL at this point his GPS-SUL. The Tattoo just works 1-2 mph better than his SUL in becoming airborne EVEN IN THE CORNERS. However I understand there is more activity in Europe now with these kite builders like PAW & Krijn but I do find it difficult that they can surpass these TWO low wind kites (Tattoo & Triple S). I do however believe that for Vented Kites there MUST be some easily equivalents or superior models to Lam's Vented models. Just a gut feeling as these guys fly in high winds all the time and have more kite builders experimenting across the pond. Every low wind kite I have purchased from Europe although not many have been sub-standard to these two IMO. I just use the Benson Inner Space indoor when the wind is almost absent (why put a mph number on that). I also figured you may do more inland flying than beach flying. BTW the Tattoo is for a place like Berkeley or a beach type environment and not inland where you experience up and down winds and occasional light gusts even below 5 mph. Not due to its durability but its a floater or simply a 1-3 mpg pure ocean wind kind of kite. The Tattoo currently has had some minor upgrades to its design BTW. Lam is coming out with this INDOOR/OUTDOOR model so I may explore that in 2019. As an example I tried the so-called GHOST from Europe ... your kidding me ... right?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Good luck on the WW model.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   

Thanks! Iíll be sure to post videos, but thereís plenty already showing the WW in really light to nonexistent wind doing everything a dual line can do, in the right hands., I did my homework.

I keep hearing very good things abou LH Kites, but the graphic solutions he adopts, really donít attract me. The face like or one color kite just doesnít work. (also they are the most expensive kites around other than a HUGO?)  I have to like the kite look, but Iím curious to try one. benson IS has been around for a looong time, I wanted something a bit more fresh and with a less old school sail cut.

Iím also swapping the LS on the SF from3P to GForce Skinnies, I had left from the Oz, and see how that does without the tail weight.

But this weekend Iím getting the boards ready. Snow is here folks  Grin time to shred. 

SuperNova STD/UL, SuperFly STD/UL, Nirvana WW, Fulcrum STD / UL, Gemini, MiniGem, (Illusion, Sizzle. Alien)
esinger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 04:40 AM »

Open source:
What about a Magnet XL SUL. Big sail, very light, modern trickkite.

Krijn

I've been following this thread and I've been interested in a winter project kite.   I decided to try to make a Magnet XL SUL.   Where's the best place to post questions or person to ask involving this build?

Eric
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 05:46 AM »

As an example I tried the so-called GHOST from Europe ... your kidding me ... right?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Roll Eyes

Kareloh

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 05:54 AM »

I've been following this thread and I've been interested in a winter project kite.   I decided to try to make a Magnet XL SUL.   Where's the best place to post questions or person to ask involving this build?

Cool! It's a very nice kite in low winds.

You can find the original (gwtw)thread of the magnet plans here:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9047.0

Since the Magnet was designed by a german kite flyer (David Ruger) and most Magnets have been build in Germany, you might want to check out this thread on Drachenforum.de (google translate is your friend...):
https://www.drachenforum.net/index.php/Thread/78906-Magnet-Bauplan/?postID=1117472#post1117472

esinger

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 01:01 PM »

Cool! It's a very nice kite in low winds.

You can find the original (gwtw)thread of the magnet plans here:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9047.0

Since the Magnet was designed by a german kite flyer (David Ruger) and most Magnets have been build in Germany, you might want to check out this thread on Drachenforum.de (google translate is your friend...):
https://www.drachenforum.net/index.php/Thread/78906-Magnet-Bauplan/?postID=1117472#post1117472

Thank you very much, that's a pretty long thread.
Kareloh

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2018, 01:22 PM »

So if you have any questions regarding this build... please put them here or on the german forum. Direct Messages work fine but it's better to have them in the threads for future reference by other people.

Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 03:27 PM »

I'm quite pleased by my new SUL

Krijn builds very nice kites, Kareloh designs outstanding ones Smiley

-Frazer
jaydub

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 03:51 PM »

I hadn't realised they were available to anyone living outside the Netherlands.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2018, 04:15 PM »

My great-grandmother is Dutch.

-Frazer
PaoloM

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2018, 06:01 PM »

-Frazer

Cheesy Ta-Dashhh.

SuperNova STD/UL, SuperFly STD/UL, Nirvana WW, Fulcrum STD / UL, Gemini, MiniGem, (Illusion, Sizzle. Alien)
jaydub

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 12:54 AM »

-Frazer

Aaaaahhhh, that would explain it. Wink
esinger

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 04:18 AM »

So if you have any questions regarding this build... please put them here or on the german forum. Direct Messages work fine but it's better to have them in the threads for future reference by other people.

Okay Kareloh,  my first question is regarding the plan and blueprint.  What does the redline mean or is used for?
Kareloh

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 04:47 AM »

The red line isn't used in the build. I assume it was there for initial outline drawing purposes.

I would suggest to put further questions in the Magnet building thread mentioned above.

Good luck with the build!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:49 AM by Kareloh » Logged

midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 05:56 AM »

I'm quite pleased by my new SUL

[...snipped for space...]

Krijn builds very nice kites, Kareloh designs outstanding ones Smiley

-Frazer

Nice. Didn't recognise it right away, but looking around: a 90THREE?

The single standoff on each side made me think it might be a smaller kite at first, but not really if that is what it is.

Interesting....hmmmm.

Fly your pants off
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom