GWTW Forum
April 23, 2019, 03:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
member support is greatly appreciated
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info On Sun Oak Kites  (Read 7771 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 09:05 PM »

The rules say:
"Thou shall not
Post links to commercial kiting sites"

So, no reason not to post any info other than a link to a web site.

But these days, just telling folks what to google is fine. it's not like web sites are hard to find.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 11:47 AM »

Yep, Sun Oaks is still around....I ordered up a turtle from them last year....always wanted one. The only complaint on that specific kite is that it is lighter framed than it used to be, but still a good light wind flyer.
The DCs are wonderful workhorses......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 10:04 PM »

The rules say:
"Thou shall not
Post links to commercial kiting sites"

You know, I get in trouble flying Revs on the line because I learned from RC that you have more fun when you fly like the rules do not apply to you . . . . miss that guy. 

But here, well, I'll try to play by the rules because I know the sponsors, moderators, and donations help keep this place alive.
Dolittle
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 07:26 AM »

You will love your SunOak.  Smiley And, Yes, some of the newer big 12 &14 foot sun oaks have composite rods in them. I spoke with one of the owners, Jim, a year ago about his newer listings—he said they are trying out this new rod idea and to let him know how it works for us.

He also said his partner had been in South America and was intrigued by the color schemes used in their traditions so they were adapting some of their kite designs to those colors. 

Jim does come on to GWTW once in a while so perhaps he will correct me if I get any details wrong, but from what I recall, here is what he told me about the SunOak story:

We had a nice talk about Sun Oak—he said there seemed to be popular demand for them in recent years after they had reduced production, so they had gone back in to the barn and got out their materials and were going to make some more—but only sell them through the website and not try to sell through stores. And they were trying out the new rods.

We own about 25 Sun Oak kites—including a few of the big ones fitted with with the composite rods that we haven’t flown yet. And many of the all basswood styles as well, which we love. Jim told me the  basswood comes from their forests and they shape it themselves in the mill.  They are based in English, Indiana, on their farm. The kites are made in the tradition of Ansel Toney,who was from the Muncie, IN area, and other well known Hoosier delta kite makers who are no longer with us. In the past,  some of the SunOak kites were made in the Muncie area too and some of the older kites are signed with this address. The others are signed with the English, IN address.  I believe Richard’s (the other owner) parents hailed from Muncie and helped with the business in the past and had connections with the Tony family.

SunOak kites are sturdy and well made. They are easy to assemble and to get up in the air and they are steady flyers, perfect for our fickle mid western winds. And they stand up well if they take a sudden dive into the turf or ocean. And Jim is happy to resupply broken spars when necessary (hence my phone conversations). SunOaks are great starter kites and we give them as gifts to our nieces and nephews. They haul loads of line laundry and tails.  The big ones have some pull but even I, a whimp, can handle them. You can tell I really recommend them. 😍 

BTW We will be at the Trasure Island Festival this weekend (and for the following week) flying our SunOaks. If you are there, come by and stay Hi!  Hugs, Judy

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 08:10 AM »

I might have a bunch of extra frames for their bigger kites....worn out skins and not worth anything, but the sticks might be...Have to dig in the shed to see what is out there that someone might need

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52 PM »

I might have a bunch of extra frames for their bigger kites....worn out skins and not worth anything, but the sticks might be...Have to dig in the shed to see what is out there that someone might need

Hmmm. . . . . interested.  I have a bunch of brand new delta (not DC) skins but no frames.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: