GWTW Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed  (Read 186 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 25, 2018, 09:53 AM »

Yesterday I flew in 40 mph for the 1st time on a HQ Delta Hawk with 100' x 150# line set. 1/2 hour of adrenalin filled flying and I was done. 3 times across center window was all I could handle.It was a blur. Happy my lines held up.Spent most of the time from edge to about a 1/3 into the power zone at most. Hawk makes a Micron look and feel pedestrian. Speed kites have fascinated me from the start. Got a Elliot Jet Stream Reloaded but never learned it. Like the Hawk not a true speed kite but still FAST.When first reading about them every kite ad, reviewer or builder states for advanced fliers. Never doubted those statements. Yesterday I got a wee inkling of what speed kiting is like. WOW was I not disappointed. Going to take some serious time on the Hawk before I get a true speed kite. After I packed up I measured pretty steady 43 mph. 45 mph is not a goal. 40 is plenty.200# x 150" line set will be coming this way soon. Be cool if you speedsters could post some of your speed kiting gear.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:07 AM »

How do you even stand up in 40 mph winds

and still want to fly?  Huh

breezin

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:45 AM »

Been living on this windswept prairie since 1996. Ya either adjust or move LOL. Animals need to be tended to at least twice a day no matter the weather.First time on the Hawk in 30+ I yanked myself pretty good. Took a few days to recover. Since then I've been trying to better my stance whatever I'm flying. It payed off yesterday. Today feeling better than I thought I would. Been out walking around this morning thinking maybe I'd fly the Hawk again before the winds drop. Uhh NO!! Watched a lot of people butt flying. I'll do that when I have a seat with a set of wheels under me. The rush once the fear subsides a bit is a total blast. Next high wind speedster will have less pull than the Hawk. Didn't get yanked yesterday but think that was more luck than skill. Amazing how much speed and power is in such a small kite. I wanna fly a kite at 100 mph before I get to much older. Even if it's only once.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
2nd Wind
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:35 AM »

I'd wait for that to be the LAST thing I ever did!!! Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom