GWTW Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Works How?  (Read 446 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: December 07, 2018, 08:43 AM »

Thought I got a decent deal on these. Nope. Mod?Nope curve is different.Ones 26.5 cm the other 26 cm. One has grey pigtails at 9.5 cm the other black at 7.0 cm .Clip difference 1.6 and 1.4. Foam 11.5 vs 10.5 with different thickness. End caps on one has nipples.Pretty obvious to even a newbie when I got them the 1st time. Easy mistake to make? Sure. The first time! Second time? NO FRIGGING WAY!!! Seems intentional to me.Thievery? Nope. No money in it. Lesson to be taught that I'll never even try to understand. Probably.$38.00 total between cost and return doesn't break the bank. STILL!!!

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
riffclown
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 10:36 AM »

The mismatch sucks dirt but the handles might be useful to you to fly 2 dual line kites. on in each hand..  Just a thought..

The saddest part of it is, someone else has a set mismatched exactly like yours.
alleykat
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:37 AM »

So do you have a set that is good now?

Alleykat
Field of Strings
Darkside Newbie
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 02:38 PM »

So modify one to match the other.

Pull off the end caps and throw away the metal triangles...yep throw them away

Bend up the longer handle to match the curve on the shorter.

Hacksaw off any XS and drill another hole like the other end in that end.

The handles are hollow. So make some short lengths of line and thread them from the inside off the handle though the old hole. Tie a stopper knot on the inside and thread the old plastic cap back onto the line and onto the handle. Tie knots at 10mm, get them even on all the pigtails.

New snag free handles.

Mike
bt
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:51 PM »

The saddest part of it is, someone else has a set mismatched exactly like yours.

There were different curves and foam thickness' over the years....I have a few pairs like this....especially foam thickness...but at least they match.....
Also it seems like the foam has slid down on both handles....
bt
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 09:04 AM »

I suppose I could get my broken Hawaiian Team fixed up to fly with the other one but that could quickly lead to more repairs.Very likely I'd need some repairs too LOL. Got some handles that came with my B series so no excuse to not start flying my quads. They will be getting the snagless mod done. Bent the longer handle a bit to see how it would work. Still think the curve will be in the wrong place. To much bending trying to correct if done wrong is going to fracture it.Someday I'll take them apart and see what happens. For now with much cursing they've been added to my ever growing broken parts collection.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 01:02 PM »

Personally, I'd equalize the leaders and just fly them as is. I don't think you'll notice much a difference in single digit cm, unless you like to hold both handles in the same hand and single hand fly your Revs. Again, personal taste, but I've never liked short Rev handles, and I usually fly one size "bigger" than what Revolution sells with their kites. So, I fly standard handles with my Rev 2s, and UL or Blast handles with my standards.
Big Bri pork pie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 02:51 PM »

Chinchilla dust Huh will solve your fracture problem when bending the Old handles.Its about 12yrs ago since a friend balanced my now old handles.Not 100% on the procedure myself.I should do, he never stopped talking about it at team practice.He did a great job on them.I think the curious name Chinchilla dust makes it memorable and his long chats about armoural on LPG team lines.We ribbed him for years every time we Ballzed up and crashed with raps in.Blamed his lines and thar F..... Armoural on them.Anyways,The dust goes inside the pipe,tube,handles.Prevents a fracture when bending with a pipe bender,pipe bender i think.Chinchilla dust and a pipe bender,ho,almost forgot,an old pair to practice on first.Old Pair ring any bells.

If ya buy a Chinchilla to beet it to dust.Dont get it wet,they dont like any water,GREMLINS.Hamsters can use Chinchilla dust also.Infact 99.99% of all Rodents can.

List of Tools Required and parts

1 Garage,Man cave,shed,Workshop.
 1 Bench,probably two or 3.
 1 vice,but this must be way to big.A Just incase type of vice.Holds a Gearbox from a Ferry comfortably.

Some reasonable contact with the outside world IF realy required[Brews,food,Emergency services,etc,etc].Be self contained for long periods when on a difficult task[woman free].
 1 Plumber or pipe related person and ther are many.Too Many to list,Cant never get one though.This part is optional,but highly recommended for 87.6% of the General male population.Think about that,OK.

1 Pipe Bender,a big shiny red one.One that you could build a drilling platform with .Thats what you will eventually decide on.Lets face it,it makes sense . A Scaffholding Pole wont bend itself,you need that tool or might do.Red ones are popular and look butch,shiny and arent they all Red.

Dust-mask or Masks nowadays,yes,numerous dust-masks and an extractor.Now your in a real word of S... here.Best way forward is just presume from now on,that common sence was Outlawed 15yrs ago.Gloves,overalls,temp above - always +,make sure area is clean and tidy.Free from Cigarette smoke or dont smoke in your own garage.Safety Googles,dusty ones,3 pairs minimum.Two of which arent where you think they are.Ther probably with the spare Torch and Cells.

2 x return tickets to Tenerife.The only place i have been to and thers been nothing but Chinchilla dust,Tenerife. Never seen any in any place for sale. Best go with what you know and Spain wont miss a bag full.They have Islands full of it.Buy a rock ashtray if your not upto the smuggling part and a decorative plate with the sun on.Not kites on it,ya wont use it.Till ya hit it with a Micron and it breaks forever.Dont even try yo fix it,theirs two small pieces missing that Columbo and Dano couldnt find.

Ok,do you know a Chinchilla Breader.........

BBPP

Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 04:01 PM »

Oh Big Bri, I enjoyed that probably more than I am supposed to Cheesy  Thanks for that.

The subject of line equalization is a long and tortured one, and many a kite flyer has gone grey and bald in the pursuit of it. There were even tools made to acquire that elusive exact line equality, most of which have long fallen out of manufacture and favor. Myself, I am probably at no better than a half inch on anything I've made, and I've made most of my linesets over the years. When the discussions of lineset equality come up on the beach, I'm the guy who asks everyone " is the length of your arms from shoulder to fingertip equal on both of your arms?  Do both of your wrists flex the exact number of degrees? The fact is, your body is an imperfect machine, but fortunately your brain has been compensating for this all life. If you fly kites in large teams, or compete on a regular basis, exact precision may help give you an edge, but then maybe it's just knowing your lines are precise to the nth millimeter that gives you the edge, and you just don't know it.

Big Bri pork pie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 01:03 AM »

Oh Big Bri, I enjoyed that probably more than I am supposed to Cheesy  Thanks for that.

The subject of line equalization is a long and tortured one, and many a kite flyer has gone grey and bald in the pursuit of it. There were even tools made to acquire that elusive exact line equality, most of which have long fallen out of manufacture and favor. Myself, I am probably at no better than a half inch on anything I've made, and I've made most of my linesets over the years. When the discussions of lineset equality come up on the beach, I'm the guy who asks everyone " is the length of your arms from shoulder to fingertip equal on both of your arms?  Do both of your wrists flex the exact number of degrees? The fact is, your body is an imperfect machine, but fortunately your brain has been compensating for this all life. If you fly kites in large teams, or compete on a regular basis, exact precision may help give you an edge, but then maybe it's just knowing your lines are precise to the nth millimeter that gives you the edge, and you just don't know it.

Cheesy Good,im so glad ya did Lee.Lifes way to serious at times init.
  I remember reading many years ago a real funny thread on here .THE BRUSH.Funny doesn't get close.I dont know how to find the thread or i would.Glad i made ya smile Lee,have a goodn pal.

BBPP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom