GWTW Forum
January 18, 2019, 09:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tail weights  (Read 1229 times)
OZKITE_PILOT
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 13, 2018, 09:07 PM »

Hi there all
Just wandering pls what the idea of added tail weights does to a dual line sport kite ?
Some have and some don't iv noticed
Thanks
Glenn
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:42 PM »

Tail weight adds ballast to one end making roll up tricks easier and some makers add it to the wing tips to increase rotational mass.  Personally, I don't find it really necessary if the kite frame and bridle are set up well enough.  The extra weight can be done by frame changes such as using a tapered spine with more mass at the large end in the tail and roll up capability can be done with a combination of frame set up and sail shape.  The Elixir is a good example of a roll up monster that doesn't really need tail weight.  Adding weight is easy and cheap to do compared to the time it takes to adjust the frame and sail to get the right set up for what you want to achieve.
Jsc2501
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:43 AM »

CA IKE is spot on.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 09:33 AM »

Tail weight adds ballast to one end making roll up tricks easier and some makers add it to the wing tips to increase rotational mass.  Personally, I don't find it really necessary if the kite frame and bridle are set up well enough.  The extra weight can be done by frame changes such as using a tapered spine with more mass at the large end in the tail and roll up capability can be done with a combination of frame set up and sail shape.  The Elixir is a good example of a roll up monster that doesn't really need tail weight.  Adding weight is easy and cheap to do compared to the time it takes to adjust the frame and sail to get the right set up for what you want to achieve.
That's a very naive viewpoint.

Perhaps, given sufficient time and materials kites could be designed this way, endlessly tweaking framing, bridles and sail shapes, but kite makers are not afforded such luxuries and compromises must be taken in order to get designs to market at prices which consumers are prepared to bear. But beyond that, tail weight adds ballast at the precise location on the kite where it is needed, you could increase the mass of the framing by a similar amount but it would not have the same effect. What's more, the use of tail weights allows fliers to easily (instantly on the field) tune their kites to the specific conditions, light winds perhaps reduce the ballast, strong winds, increase it. Try achieving that with framing materials. True, you can always tweak the bridle but it'll make little difference getting a kite to rollup.

The Elixir will rollup without yo-yo stoppers, but you'd struggle to find anyone to support an argument that they are not a positive addition to a trick oriented kite.

-Frazer
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:08 PM by Frazer » Logged
PaoloM
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 10:35 AM »

I was flying my beaten up Alien in Berkeley. Watching Robin trick endlessly and in mysterious ways I started talking to him, finding myself eons behind in kiteology. That day he added a weight to the tail of my Alien, which started rolling like it was 2017. That hour tweaking the kite with weight, in September, sparked a relapse of the kite virus thatís still running strong 6 new (for me) kites after.

So be careful  Grin they do make a difference.

SuperNova STD/UL, SuperFly STD/UL, Nirvana STD/SUL, Fulcrum STD/UL, Gemini, MiniGem, (Illusion, Sizzle. Alien)
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:51 AM »

Adding weight is easy and cheap to do compared to the time it takes to adjust the frame and sail to get the right set up for what you want to achieve.

As a dutchy i love easy and cheap!

DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 01:10 PM »

+1 to what Fraz says.
In some cases, you could take a kite into a lower wind range by removing the weight
you are seeing some kites weights in the frame and unremovable

a velcroed quarter are quickly adjustable
the blue moon system is nice
then you get to all manners of lead weights

Sine Metu!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:27 PM »

Such a simplistic answer!

" ... frame set up and sail shape..." are chosen for so many more reasons than merely ease of roll up.

"The extra weight can be done by frame changes such as using a tapered spine with more mass at the large end in the tail..."  In a kite that uses 20 grams or more in tail weight, there is no tapered spar on the market that will replicate a 35+ gram spine & weight with that same weight distribution.

Oh geez, I could go on...   Roll Eyes

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 09:16 PM »

That's a very naive viewpoint.

Perhaps, given sufficient time and materials kites could be designed this way, endlessly tweaking framing, bridles and sail shapes, but kite makers are not afforded such luxuries and compromises must be taken in order to get designs to market at prices which consumers are prepared to bear. But beyond that, tail weight adds ballast at the precise location on the kite where it is needed, you could increase the mass of the framing by a similar amount but it would not have the same effect. What's more, the use of tail weights allows fliers to easily (instantly on the field) tune their kites to the specific conditions, light winds perhaps reduce the ballast, strong winds, increase it. Try achieving that with framing materials. True, you can always tweak the bridle but it'll make little difference getting a kite to rollup.

The Elixir will rollup without yo-yo stoppers, but you'd struggle to find anyone to support an argument that they are not a positive addition to a trick oriented kite.

-Frazer
I could have into a much more extensive answer but peoples eyes tend to glass over if you get too technical.  Bottom line is the main reason for tail weight is to increase the ability of a kite to do roll up tricks in an easy and cheap manner or add mass to increase rotational inertia especially in light weight kites.  There are a lot of things you can tweak on a kite to get the same performance but it is a time intensive procedure and often takes a lot of materials and several prototypes.  My own personal experimental kite is on its 4th prototype and over 6 months of flight testing + 2 months worth of time in the sewing room.
OZKITE_PILOT

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 12:24 AM »

hiya guys
cool thanks for the great info
cheers Smiley
coogee

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 01:35 AM »

hiya guys
cheers Smiley

Very Droll

Mike
OZKITE_PILOT

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 01:35 PM »

hiya guys
cheers Smiley

Very Droll

Mike

what,i am happy for the comments advice that was recieved,nothing wrong with me saying thanks!!
coogee

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 08:48 PM »

No offence intended.

Just made me smile.

Mike
OZKITE_PILOT

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 01:40 PM »

All good mike Smiley
OZKITE_PILOT

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 12:45 AM »

does added tail weights slow the kite down a little or increase speed a little ?thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites