GWTW Forum
January 17, 2019, 02:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Nexus vs Jazz  (Read 432 times)
HiNator86
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 14, 2018, 07:49 AM »

So for a while, I've been contemplating which kite is better for beginners. Yes, I know there are probably better kites, but the Nexus and Jazz are virtually the same size and about the same price. Things that I notice is the frame on the Jazz seams more heavy duty, which makes it a little heavier when handling. When flying I'm not really sure what. So from you much wiser kite flyers here, I would like to know what you think about these 2 kites? Please lets try to keep this just about the Jazz and the Nexus.

Thanks
Nator

PS. If this has already been done, I couldn't find the thread.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:06 AM by HiNator86 » Logged

The Bigger the Better!!
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL North Shore Radical 99”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Crystal Kite Chainlink 93"
Prism Hypnosist 93”
bt
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18 AM »

Some folks just don't understand Jazz..... Cool

I know of them....the kites....but not about them, however a more robust frame may be better for a beginner I'm thinking.
bt
DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:01 PM »

and is the adrenaline the same size as the nexus? I have seen stacked nexus and flown single and stacked of adrenalines
Into bigger wings; i would say look for an e2. I cant speak of the e3

the bigger question what do you want to so with it? patterns, tricks, speed, trainer

Sine Metu!
socalman320

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 04:46 PM »

I know you said keep this between the Nexus & Jazz but your initial question was which is better for beginners and I'd have to say hands down that the Quantum with the spring loaded spine would be best. Especially with all the potential lawn dart landings almost every beginner goes through including me. Just my 2cents..... Cool
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:48 PM by socalman320 » Logged
HiNator86

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 03:44 AM »

I know you said keep this between the Nexus & Jazz but your initial question was which is better for beginners and I'd have to say hands down that the Quantum with the spring loaded spine would be best. Especially with all the potential lawn dart landings almost every beginner goes through including me. Just my 2cents..... Cool

I do agree with you on that the Quantum is a better beginner kite, because I too have done the same lawn dart landing but I want this thread to be a comparison for the Jazz and Nexus. Some of the reasons why I want to compare these two. These may not be the best reason why, but here they are:

1. For the same reason Prisms website says, "Simple, rugged and affordable, the Nexus flies with the ease and control of a larger kite" and the Jazz "We made the Jazz extra tough for beginners"

2. The Jazz is 62" and the Nexus is 64" They’re kites that will not have as much pull when the wind picks up. As I was not an experienced flyer not that long ago, I didn't understand wind and its power. A little back story on this. I started flying on a NTK Firecracker. That kite is the same size as the Jazz and Nexus. I loved flying it in higher winds because it really started to pull for a “smaller” kite. I went and bought a Quantum because I wanted more pull and the NTK dealer here quit selling NTK stunt kites. The next day that had what I thought was better wind to fly, I set up the Quantum and started flying! The kite roared! It turned heads! Everyone was watching my inexperienced-self fly the kite! It was great! It was making my 185lbs move on the beach, I was leaning back when I was going thought the window! I was having a blast! To my point. Knowing what I know now, I was flying in 15ish+ MPH winds, way more wind than what is needed to fly a kite. The beginners that I want to fly with will be dragged down the beach/field. So, in my opinion, the 62-64” kites give you a bigger range to fly in that won’t drag a beginner down the beach. Yes, I know larger kite has a bigger wind range, but when wind picks up, it gets dangerous for new younger flyers.

3. The Jazz and Nexus are around $50-60 new. The Quantum is $105-130. Yes, I know you get them used for less, but some parents don’t want to wait to find one used. So that is my bases for new prices.
4. The Jazz and Nexus are smaller, they pack up smaller, easier to store and take places. Also sense they are smaller, they are a little easier to put together.

Like before, these may not be the best reasons, but they are my reasons. I appreciate the advice for better beginner stunt kites, but I’d like to stay on the Jazz versus the Nexus.
My question probably should have been stated more like:
What are the differences between the Jazz and Nexus? Do the different flight characteristics? What are your pros and cons for the Jazz and Nexus?

Cheers,
Nator

The Bigger the Better!!
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Prism Hypnosist 93”
kenmcneill
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 07:09 AM »

Looking at the specs for the two kites, a couple things might be worthy of consideration. The frame of the Nexus uses a carbon tube that you can probably find somewhere besides Prism direct. The second thing is the included line set. The Jazz comes with 85ft of polyester, while the Nexus comes with 65ft Spectra. I'd like the Nexus lines to be also 85ft for a beginner, but they'll do much better than the poly lines.

If it's a recommendation for a vacation buy, and they want to save a few bucks, the Jazz is solid. If they're likely to move forward, I'd go with the Nexus.
HiNator86

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 07:17 AM »

If it's a recommendation for a vacation buy, and they want to save a few bucks, the Jazz is solid. If they're likely to move forward, I'd go with the Nexus.

Thanks Ken! Exactly the input I am looking for!

Can't wait for more guys like you to chime in!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:46 AM by HiNator86 » Logged

The Bigger the Better!!
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 01:20 PM »

The Jazz feels smaller, and quicker, than the Nexus which to me makes it possibly harder for a beginner to control. For the extra $20 the Nexus is the way to go.

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 02:58 PM »

"Thanks Ken! Exactly the input I am looking for!

Can wait for more guys like you to chime in!"

There are no other guys like Ken McNeill.

He is in a league of one.

HiNator86

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 02:48 AM »

"Thanks Ken! Exactly the input I am looking for!

Can't wait for more guys like you to chime in!"

There are no other guys like Ken McNeill.

He is in a league of one.

Well said!

The Bigger the Better!!
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites