GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: beginner looking for advice  (Read 2883 times)
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: August 29, 2009, 09:00 PM »

I just bought my first sport kite last weekend, a HQ Bebop Eclipse. It is nice, and can take a crash pretty well, but seems really reluctant to fly in light wind. It is like this kite really wants a good wind to perform.

I have noticed that it tends to wrap lines on the tips if it stalls or flips over, which is wierd. I thought that these kites were supposed to be able to flip here and there without getting all wrapped up.

Anyhow, I am confident now after about 5 outings, I can do multiple loops, dives figure 8's etc. I have been having issues landing the kite though, but had been trying in the middle of the window, instead of at the edges. Oops. I actually managed to do a real nice tip drag for about 40 feet tonight in about 20km/h wind.

So, my need for advice is this, I just bought a micron on a whim the other night and am a little worried that it will be too quick for me. I really would like to get something which will fly in light wind and look at doing some tricks.

My main issues are money, and well, money. I would like to get a kite which is capable of some of the cool tricks I see out there, but cannot figure out which kite to focus on. I like the looks of the flying Wings Acrobatix, or possibly the Acrobatix UL. I also kind of like the looks of the 3D, but don't think that it is what I am looking for. Any ideas of other kites in this range would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:20 PM by SMG » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:40 PM »

If you want a good kite for the $, I think the Flying Wings Silver Fox is tough to beat.  Acro is also decent, but the UL is much better than the standard (which I don't like at all).

I don't recall who said it, but I've heard the Silver Fox referred to as the "poor mans Sea Devil".

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 06:04 AM »

Hey Sean...

I have both the 3D and the Acrobatx. I wouldn't waste any $$$ on the 3D, it will just leave you wanting more. The Acrobatx takes some wind to get going, but it flies great in 5-15mph wind. THe UL should fly a little lower, but I've heard that it's a heavy UL. The SF has a lot of good things said about it, and I've seen a video of someone doing some very impressive things with it.

Silver Fox 2.5 UL at Clover Point

This video has made me want a SF UL since it came out. Good luck in your choice...

~Rob.

kitechick

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02 PM »

I have bought more expensive kites and just traded them in for a Silver Fox. The Silver Fox is a great kite to learn on - very forgiving. And it is a very good value. Its not top build quality, but you get a lot more from it than you pay for it. They make a UL version too.

Laura
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:13 AM »

I have the Silver fox 2.5 UL and it is a easy kite to fly in winds of 3 to 8 mph. at 2.5 wing span it is a large kite. Under 3 mph and you ready begin to use your feet to keep the kite in the air. The kite will do any trick I am able to do (Not a whole lot Cheesy) at a very relaxed pace. What I like about this is you can see the kite react to your inputs and see what you are doing wrong. The SF may not be a compitition kite but it is a kite that you will get value for yourr money. The type of wind that you will be flying in should determine if you get a STD or a UL.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
SMG

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16 AM »

It's like you are all saying that the SF UL is a great kite.  Grin

Good thing I will have mine on Thursday this week Wink

One member who is close to me has offered his for sale and I accepted. I can't wait, as the HQ Bebop is just driving me nuts. If there is not enough wind it is a pain to get aloft. If there is enough wind for it to get up, then its not bad, but when I try and land it just luffs and falls out of the sky on an angle.

I will let you all know how I get on with the SF.

Cheers,
Sean
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:59 PM by SMG » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 04:24 AM »

I think that you'll see a definite difference with the Silver Fox. Remember though that low wind doesn't mean no wind. I went out at lunch yesterday and when the wind dropped to nothing the kite couldn't stay up.

If you're looking for a REALLY good kite for low wind, save your money up for an Blue Moon Exile UL. In the meantime, the Silver Fox will handle much better and should do you nicely but you'll still need some wind.

Bob D.
LC

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 01:57 PM »

Hey all,

I'm a newbie in a very similar situation as Sean. I've been reading all the "which kite" threads I can find and its looking like one of the Silver Fox kites could be a good step up from my Nexus.

At any rate, one of my concerns is always the availability of spare parts. How are Flying Wings when it comes to getting spares? For example, I broke a spine on my nexus and was able to order a new spine direct from Prism which was very simple. The Flying Wings website says that you need to get spares from a local kite shop or find them online but doesn't really say where to find them (and I don't know of a kite shop anywhere nearby).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or can point me in the direction of a good, reliable place to get spares should the need arise (and it probably will... Roll Eyes ).

Thanks,
Luke

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 02:11 PM »

all my parts come from here:
http://www.chicokites.com/store/
which is also the host of this forum Wink

Sine Metu!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 02:23 PM »

Flying Wings has greatly improved their support for replacement parts.  We don't keep everything on hand but Flying Wings ships to me next day so if you need it and they have it in stock I can usually get replacements to you in 3 - 4 days.

I will work on getting parts and prices listed at the store.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
LC

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 03:45 PM »

Great, that should help in the decision making process, thanks very much!
SMG

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 06:12 PM »

I ordered some spares for my kite already from Steve, talked to him today on the phone and he was most excellent to deal with. Had lots of advice and was so easy to talk to.

Cheers,
Sean
SMG

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 03:10 PM »

Well I got my SF 2.5 UL today and what a sweet kite. I didn't know that it was that big. I set it up in my livingroom and was really surprised at the size of it.

I am a little unsure if I tensioned the LE correctly, the brochure that came with the kite was pretty hard to read in that area. They really should have used better images of that process.

If anyone can explain the tensioning process on the SF that would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:50 AM »

I cannot find the wing tip tensioning video for the Sea Devil , which is similar to the Silver Fox, but there is a picture in the SD review from Kitelife of the method used , and you can follow it up to a point for the SF.
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57 AM »

I am in the same boat for my Silver Fox 2.5.  The wing tip tension instructions are confusing and the pics very dark.  I can do it my way but I would prefer knowing the right way to tension.

Any guidance on this?

Thanks,

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change