GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultralight Replacement  (Read 2283 times)
jeffersz
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 11, 2009, 11:02 AM »

Greetings! It's been a while since I've been on the forums and I see things have changed quite a bit! I've searched around a little and can't find something that specifically addresses my question, so let me get to it:

Ive been flying approximately 8 years, although the last 3 have not been as frequent as the years before. My two main kites are a Prism Elixir and an HQ Breeze, which cover most situations, however, with the winds the way they are here in Utah the Breeze definitely sees more airtime. It is also going to need replacing as the mileage is beginning to show, it has many more in it for sure, but I like to think ahead a bit. With my limited exposure to kites here inland, I was hoping to get some recommendations from you folks who are sure to know far more than I, and help get me pointed in the right direction. Here are some of my criteria:

1.   Id like a replacement with about the same wind requirements (1-10?) as the Breeze.
2.   Id like a similar wingspan or perhaps a bit larger but nothing that flies like a tank.
3.   Id like a kite that is a bit more trickable to help expand my skills into the future.
4.   Id like something in the $150 - $350 range, which is hopefully obtainable for this.

Obviously I like the feel and the size of the breeze in flight, but would prefer something that is capable of more in the trick department So whaddaya think?

Thanks.

-Jeff
Moe

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:24 AM »

If I can summarize all the inevitable replies...

1.) You're probably not going to find anything that will go from 1 - 10.  2 or 3 - 10, yes.  1 - 5 or 7, fine.  But a full 1 - 10 is hard.

2 through 4.) Insert Blue Moon kite of your choice - Exile, Mantis, Mamba...  The UL versions will go 1 - 8, the regular versions about 3 - 15.  Preferences will vary, but there will be a flood of recommendations.  Wink

There will also be a few people suggesting the HQ Shadow as a less expensive, tricky UL (about 1 - 5 ish), and the Flying Wings Silver Foxes for a tricky "L" (sort of 3 - 10)

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52 AM »

We just spent the last weekend up in Utah at the Antelope Island kite and Balloon festival.  Spent pretty much the entire weekend flying my Widow Maker UL right along side another gentleman that was flying his HQ Breeze.  The wind ranges seemed to be pretty close for both kites (1 to 7 pretty much all weekend).  We spent a couple times back and forth between the two and for me - I really preferred the Widow Maker UL over the Breeze.  The Breeze may have had just the slightest bonus for the utmost lightest wind condition but for tricks, the WM UL was much nicer and easier to fly.  Both kites are very close in size with the Breeze having a much more rounded leading edge compared to the straighter leading edge of the WM.  This also allowed the Breeze to rotate more and it felt like it had much more oversteer than the WM - which is what I didn't like about it.  The WM felt more solid in the window, regardless of wind - the Breeze had a much lighter feel and was much more "touchy".

As suggested previously, the Shadow is a great kite for that wind range as are pretty much anything from BMK.  I would highly suggest the WM UL as it seems to fit right in line with the wind range you are looking for and is right in line with your budget - not to mention that you can get one right from Steve here at GWTW - if he doesn't have one in stock he can order one in for you - and there is also the possibility for custom colors.

Hope that helps.

jeffersz

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:59 AM »

1-10 was just a guess at the original Breeze specs. I'm really looking for something that will fly with comparable effort in the lower (non-indoor) range such as 1-5 or 7 as I normally fly it in a moderate whisper, if you will. I should have been more clear about it in that respect for sure.

I know the Muse is based on the Mantis, a simpler sail and nearly identical wind ranges, I'd assume that the two compare similarly to one another in flight?

-Jeff
jeffersz

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:22 PM »

We just spent the last weekend up in Utah at the Antelope Island kite and Balloon festival.  Spent pretty much the entire weekend flying my Widow Maker UL right along side another gentleman that was flying his HQ Breeze.

I am one and the same Kent.  Grin

I liked the WM for sure, it did feel a bit sluggish to me which was a very different feel in those light winds than I'm used to, but again my location doesn't offer much in the way of comparison. It was pretty obvious when we'd switch kites that we are used to two very different ways of flying due to the major differences in hardware. Regardless, the abilities of the WM are far superior to the Breeze and is definately on my list of considerations, I'm just trying to do some research to see what other options are out there and make a decision that will best suit my needs.

I do miss the days when I could pop for 3 or 4 kites in a week, but alas, I have to be far more selective these days.

Thanks for your help!

-Jeff

P.S. Say hello to your family for us.  Smiley
fworley
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 12:37 PM »

You're going to struggle to *really* cover that 1-10mph range with a single kite.

Some numbnuts will tell you a Fearless is the answer of course

-Frazer
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:40 PM by fworley » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:56 PM »

I think the Exile UL covers that range pretty well. It does need a little work in the 1-2mph range, but it certainly flies down there. I've only had mine a few months, but have been pleasantly surprised with it, flying it in conditions that were exclusive to my Ozone in the past. It tricks beautifully, and is one of my favorite kites now.
~Rob.

fworley
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 01:13 PM »

I think the Exile UL covers that range pretty well. It does need a little work in the 1-2mph range, but it certainly flies down there. I've only had mine a few months, but have been pleasantly surprised with it, flying it in conditions that were exclusive to my Ozone in the past. It tricks beautifully, and is one of my favorite kites now.
~Rob.
The Exile UL would pull a *lot* in 10mph ... I don't feel like flying mine in anything like that much wind.

-Frazer
RobB

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 02:12 PM »

You know, you're right, if it's a 10mph constant wind, I wouldn't fly it, but it will take gusts up to 10mph OK. I would fly mine prbably no higher than 6 or 7 mph if the wind was constant. Time to roll it up and get out the standard.

anOldMan

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 03:05 PM »

It is out of your price range. But if you really want a range of 1-10 mph kite, the fearless SUL is rated at 0-10 mph. I am not sure about the high end of the kite but I have flown  it in 1 to 8 mph with out problems. With a short line the 0 mph is achievable.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 03:44 PM »

Talon UL or Deep Space UL.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Jimmer

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 04:56 PM »

Howdy,
I just started flying in June and have an Exile UL....I've been flying it at the beach in Grand Haven, Michigan all week in 1-5 knt winds and it's been great.  When the winds kick up a bit I switch to my Knighthawk (nice transition).  What a blast!
I can't wait to get better and try all the other kites!
 Grin

PS I've been using two weights in the Exile UL, but will try zero or one next week to see how it handles.   I put one weight in the Nighthawk and like how it flies.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 06:35 PM »

might also suggest a Muse, nice price good kite
love mine

Sine Metu!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 07:09 PM »

I second the Muse Light, and the WidowMaker UL

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 09:49 PM »

Hey Mike ... you called it!

Wink

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change