GWTW Forum
May 24, 2019, 12:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th
to contact us email: kitekid@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Radian restoration  (Read 1668 times)
SurfCityVortices
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 08, 2019, 09:50 AM »

I recently bought a Radian which is need of some serious TLC. Which is okay with me because I want to fly it, not just look at it. I started sewing single line kites last year and have progressed quite a bit. 90% of the sail is in great shape, the other 10%...  Cry. I've research and collected information from most of the previous posts on Radians with regards to specifications. I've marked what I need help with with asterisks and italics...

I guess even if I cared about it being stock, it wouldn't be possible to get original components, so suggestions on modifications to make it flyable would be appreciated. Maybe down the road I'll find more of a collector's specimen.

So far my list of things to do:

1) Repair 3" tear on right LE sleeve just below LS
2) Replace broken with new right LE spar
3) Missing 7 battens (**need to find lengths)
4) Replace outer stand-offs
5) Repair/rebuild outer stand-off connection tabs on sail
6) Rebuild Lower bridle legs to bottom of spine, replace missing bridle adjuster
7) One small area where fabric is compromised (possible just repair with Tedlar or CA)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure that I have an original manual for the Radian.  I don't remember what info is in it, but it was substantial (I think)

You might ask what Prism has.  When I was on a factory tour there a year (or maybe it was two) ago, they boxes of parts for all kinds of kites.  I don't think that they would have spars, but maybe some fittings.

So far, I have enjoyed all of prism's older kites.

Good luck
Brett

Brett

formally known as grantb
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:40 AM »

Thanks, I haven't contacted Prism. I suppose I should.

The manual is on this forum. I should include it here for easy location. It mostly has basics of specs, not any design dimensions. When I have more time today I will add the information I've gleaned from older posts.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/pdf/RadianManual2.pdf

bt
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 12:40 PM »

Oooooh a Radian!!!! Coolio...
Had one many moons ago and because the length measurements weren't in the manual I wrote them down so here ya go.....
Battens....all are 3/32" diameter.
1.    15 1/4"
2.    12 1/2"
3.    9"
4.    6 5/8"

The upper spreader is 25 13/16" and the lower(s) are 37 7/16".      .2200/.2300 I think.
Sorry no stand off length's....
bt
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:13 PM »

Thanks for those batten lengths!

Here is a compilation of everything I found, sorry for removing the people who helped and submitted it...

Stand off lengths
Outer 21.27cm, inner 17.14cm

Lowers spreaders are 37 3/8" .2300 OD, .140 I.D.

Upper spreaders is 25 3/4" .2200 OD, .135 I.D.

here are two stoppers in the LS: the inner is at 243mm from the center T and the outer is at 76mm from the outer end.

US and it's the correct length of 25.75"

Manufacturer: Prism Designs Inc., Seattle, Wa, U.S.A.
Material:     3/4 Oz Ripstop Nylon, 0.9 Mil Mylar laminate
Spars:        2200 & 2300 AFC Carbon
Battens:      1/8" & 3/32" Fiberglass (carbon optional)
Wind Range:   3 - 25 MPH (1.5 - 11 m/s)
Span:         8.5 Feet   (2.5 m)
Height:       28 Inches  (0.7 m)
Wing Area:    8.7 sq ft  (0.8 m2)
Wing loading: no battens 1.08; battens 1.27  (Oz/sq ft)
330           388   (g/m2)
Type:         High aspect ratio, (span sq/area) 8.3
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:14 PM by SurfCityVortices » Logged

audiance

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 01:17 PM »

Hi surfcity,

I recently acquired a lovely Radian, it is a beautiful kite, if not the most beautiful one ever made. Happy to help with any details about it, you can pm me, and then when you have all you need, you may want to share all useful info to the community.

Cheers
Steve Hall
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 05:35 PM »

we have the Prism Radian manual in pdf available for download if you're interested

Steve ...
former owner GWTW Kites
former kite flyer
currently the "slightly impaired" owner of the GWTW Kite Forum
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 05:44 PM »

we have the Prism Radian manual in pdf available for download if you're interested

Thanks Steve, I found it in previous posts where it was linked by you, and linked it above!

I think now my biggest challenge will be deciding how to replace the missing bottom Bridle Adjuster

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35 PM »

I recently bought a Radian which is need of some serious TLC. Which is okay with me because I want to fly it, not just look at it. I started sewing single line kites last year and have progressed quite a bit. 90% of the sail is in great shape, the other 10%...  Cry. I've research and collected information from most of the previous posts on Radians with regards to specifications. I've marked what I need help with with asterisks and italics...

I guess even if I cared about it being stock, it wouldn't be possible to get original components, so suggestions on modifications to make it flyable would be appreciated. Maybe down the road I'll find more of a collector's specimen.

So far my list of things to do:

1) Repair 3" tear on right LE sleeve just below LS
2) Replace broken with new right LE spar
3) Missing 7 battens (**need to find lengths)
4) Replace outer stand-offs
5) Repair/rebuild outer stand-off connection tabs on sail
6) Rebuild Lower bridle legs to bottom of spine, replace missing bridle adjuster
7) One small area where fabric is compromised (possible just repair with Tedlar or CA)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have a near mint radian and can get you all the measurements you need.  Email me some pics of the areas your concerned with and I can give you some tips on the repairs.  Prism still makes a center T that works on the radian. When I get a chance I'll measure my bridle for you.

ANthony
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:39 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 11:00 AM »

Those replacement Bridle Adjusters would be good, which kite is that for? Can the two piece, spliced LE be swapped for a single cut-down 60" tube? Was thinking to just use APA AorB connectors for spreaders. Which stand-off connectors would you recommend?

a) Condition I recieved it in

b) Torn leading edge just below LS connector. I was thinking to use spinnaker two sided tape and just fold a cut of fabric over the tear

c) slight tears in the outer sail near wingtips. Tedlar?

d) For some reason, the outer standoff tabs are cut off  Shocked

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:03 AM by SurfCityVortices » Logged

brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 04:45 PM »

Nearly the same color as mine Smiley
The only difference is that the blue on the right side is on the left side of mine.  I'll have to check the number, I think it was around 1200.

Good Luck!

Brett

formally known as grantb
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 08:05 PM »

This one is 332

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 12:48 AM »

Those replacement Bridle Adjusters would be good, which kite is that for? Can the two piece, spliced LE be swapped for a single cut-down 60" tube? Was thinking to just use APA AorB connectors for spreaders. Which stand-off connectors would you recommend?

a) Condition I recieved it in

b) Torn leading edge just below LS connector. I was thinking to use spinnaker two sided tape and just fold a cut of fabric over the tear

c) slight tears in the outer sail near wingtips. Tedlar?

d) For some reason, the outer standoff tabs are cut off  Shocked

That sail is in pretty bad shape.  It will need new LE cloth, the faded damaged cloth might be saveable but more than likely the panel will need to  be replaced.  If the faded areas are soft then a repair is possible but that's not normal damage. The fading would be more even across the panel if normal wear.  Something was spilled on the kite with the kite rolled up.  The faded damaged cloth is probably feels really thin and slightly brittle (a bit stiffer than the rest of the sail).  That's a lot of work to restore properly.  My advice would be to find some yellow nylon repair tape(self adhesive) for the LE and some orange for the other damage and just patch it.  I just did a similar restore on a bit simpler sail(similar panel layout but no battens) that took over 13 hours from break down to re-frame and test.  With the radian panel and batten design  and the precision that needs to go into it I estimate would easily take 25 hours or more for a full restore and it's not a simple kite to sew.  I can talk you through patching and reinforcing the damage.  That will take some repair tape and simple zig zag stitching.  Let me know if you think you can try doing a patch job and we can  set up a time to talk details.
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 09:42 AM »

Okay, I have some time this weekend. Would be good to talk about my goals. Maybe restoration was an ambitious word....

SurfCityVortices

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 03:59 PM »

Just wanted to do an update, and with everything going on with the site, I wanted to see this process through. I had to move earlier this year and everything got pushed to the side. Finally found some time to work on the Radian again.

I fashioned some replacement outer standoff tabs with a sandwich of .75oz ripstop, dacron tape, and .75oz ripstop. I was a bit nervous to put the sail under my needle, but I think it went ok. I used white insignia adhesive tape to cover the torn sail on both sides next to the sail #, and then used the same insignia tape with a backing in the middle to create a bridge over the torn LE sleeve on the right wing. I used orange and yellow highlighter to color match  Cheesy

Next I'm going to make all new battens, new standoffs using the original technique with solid rod into rivet ends, rebuild the right LE spars, and then start the re-framing process. I started out thinking I would put some newer components on the frame connectors, but now I'm feeling more inspired to recreate the originals. If anyone has any photos of upper and lower bridle to spine connections on the early models that would be a huge help.

Alos BTW, I found out recently that the 1st official serial # was 322 for the Radian, so this would be officially #10.

20190411_214304 by Andrew Bloxom, on Flickr

20190411_214347 by Andrew Bloxom, on Flickr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: