GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 08:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French Connection vs. Widow  (Read 1090 times)
GusG
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 11, 2009, 07:53 PM »

I'm considering one of two kites.  Either a New Tech French Connection or a Premiere Widow.  

I'm still sort of new yet.  Thus far I can back flip consistently, lazy Susan most of the time, good flat axle about half the time, and that's about it.  My goal is trick flying and I want a trick kite I can grow into.

I'd appreciate your input on the two kites.  Why would one be better than the other?  I understand that there are many other kites I might want to consider but for right now I'd like to know the advantages and disadvantages and comparison of the two kites mentioned above.

Thanks!

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58 PM »

I have a French Connection and two Skyburner WidowMakers and have flown the Premier Widow. I would steer you towards the Widow as my preference, I liked the French Connection but IMO you would progress further, faster with the Widow and it really excels at what you've learned already so you'll have a blast right out of the bag. It'll soon have you into fades, roll-ups and jacobs ladder's since it gives those away pretty easy too.

What are you flying right now though? Do you live near any other fliers who might let you test either of those? Flying styles vary so much, you might click better with the New Tech.

Also in my opinion the quality of the Premier exceeds the New Tech in that price range. The P300's used in the Widow will take much more abuse then the P100's & 200's on the French Connection, everybody I know broke the spine at the center T on the early ones, I think the later models use a rubber T and don't have the stress riser right there though. And the true double folded and stitched Fell Seam sail of the Widow should be more durable then the taped broadseam used on the French Connection but I haven't heard of any failures so that's just my opinion again.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 05:14 AM »

I'd steer towards the Widow.

I have a Widowmaker (love it!) and I've flown a Widow (very nice kite). 

I had a first edition French Connection for a while and was more frustrated at what it should be than pleased with what it was.  The standard of finish was a bit sloppy, it was reluctant to backspin and needed a steady wind to hold in a fade.  I haven't flown a second edition FC, that might be a totally different kettle of fish

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
DavidS
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:44 PM »

I have 4 FCs and 2 Widows (out of 12 kites total, these are a major portion of my collection).  Both are good kites, and some of the most popular in my bag.

FCs (and most any NewTech products that I've seen) are B- build quality - the components are ok, but the fit and finish is poor.  This isn't necessarily a real problem, as you won't be able to see any flaws while the kite is in the air.   The FC2s do have some improved flight characteristics, but the FC1s are good overall flyers, and can do most advanced tricks.  FCs are feature laden - having bars and stops and gadgets, but like 19s on a Honda they seem tacked on as an afterthought, as opposed to an integral part of the original design (like on a DS...)

Widows are a major step up in build quality - fit and finish is about as good as it gets in "off the shelf" kites.  Mine feel heavier than the FC, but are very quick and pitchy when provoked properly.  Widow takes more wind than the FCs to get moving, and overall are some of the better real high wind (13+mph) kites I own.

If they were the same price, I would buy a Widow without hesitation.  My experience is that FCs are usually much less expensive (thus I have both...)

David

Prism roll up with BMK Exile x2, DS, DS UL, Widow x2, FC (signed) x4, Prism 4D, Prism 3D, Desire SUL x3, FC2, Premier Addiction (test flight kite for curious onlookers)  - not in the bag (for various reasons): Benson DS, Prism Stack, Widow, FC
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:35 AM »

I agree 100% with Mikeinchico.

now, to make something "short, sweet and to the point" id say..
widow, hands down. Better kite, better price, better times on the flying field =]

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document