GWTW Forum
March 20, 2019, 09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L'Atelier xt.r Vented versus Nirvana HW to keep?  (Read 483 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: January 11, 2019, 05:36 AM »

I usually tend to fly quads  or my Mini Gem when the wind is up. I like a vented dual when the wind speed is at the lower end to trick in. It's a lot harder to trick in when the wind is higher and the vents are opened so I probably don't fly them as much.

My flight time has really decreased when I lost the accessibility to Liberty State Park in Jersey City 6 years ago and re-located to Upstate NY. I really miss those great off shore breezes. An hour and a half drive was totally worth it. So I have a lot of great kites that I don't get a lot of flight time out of.

I really like the L'Ateliers because they're so easy to pitch into a turtle. The Nirvanas are harder for me because it seems to take a lot more effort but I like the panel lay out more. They're beautiful kites and great to look at in the sky. (I read about modding it but I'm not comfortable making changes to the bridle or other big changes. Additional weight on the tail might make it pitch easier maybe.)

If you had to pick one to keep and one to sell, I'd be interested to hear which you'd prefer to keep and why. (I'm the second owner of the Nirvana and bought it maybe 7 or 8 eight years ago. I wasn't aware that there were different models - this one doesn't have covered stand offs and apparently a later model has covered ones.)

Bob D.
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:53 AM »

I used to have a set of XTr's. Used the kites for Tricksparty competition. I didn't really like the VV in high windspeeds. I did like it with the vents closed as a heavy STD in winds a bit to high for the normal XTr STD.

Never owned a Nirvana HW. I did try the NSE HW a few times and that particular model is very good.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:56 AM »

Do you remember what the Nirvana HW could do and what the wind speed was like? I like the Nirvana's venting system. The venting panels were either fully vented, partially vented to the middle Velcro tab, or not vented (last Velcro tab the width of the panel).

Bob D.
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:23 AM »

The STD Nirvana can be flown in quite some wind. This is a video of my STD with 7pt lower spreaders and the reverse turbo bridle in about 25km/h.

http://kareloh.com/ickytv_wp/wordpress/2017/04/29/nirvana-standard/

The HW is quite capable as well IIRC...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites