GWTW Forum
March 23, 2019, 12:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimal flying locations - US east-coast  (Read 1032 times)
Ashbridge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 13, 2019, 04:39 PM »

I have some work leave coming up in June, trying to plan ahead.  Resolved to finally experience some proper coastal winds.

Can any US east-coast flying veterans on here recommend any prime spots? 

My only criteria besides the beach itself is reasonably-priced accommodation, preferably nearby so I don't have to rent a car.

Been using various online travel aids but it's a pretty wide net.  Thanks in advance.
riffclown
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:47 PM »

Please be more specific.. What part of the US East coast??  The Outer Banks of North Carolina are heard to beat. 
Ashbridge

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:18 PM »

Please be more specific..

Basically open to any suggestions from Maine down to mid-coast that isn't mega-touristy.  The Outer Banks look really promising.  Probably don't want to go much further south than that to save on airfare.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 04:21 AM »

The Outer Banks is best before tourist season in the summer. Jockey Ridge in Kill Devil Hills across from Kitty Hawk Kites is very popular. The off shore breezes can be pretty stiff though and the heat can be hard to  bear beyond 10:00 am.

We went to a beach in Assateague in MD but the beach was very narrow, maybe 75'. You'd probably have to do some research to find a better place to fly.

Ocean City, MD is not good up beyond 100th street because of the condos, very narrow beach and condos right there on the beach. It's supposed to be good down by the Kite Loft though. We stayed at 110th Street and it was not convenient to drag the whole family down there so I can't really say much more about that. It's supposed to be decent down there. I didn't like the divided highway to get up and down from where we were. There were no other alternates from what I remember (10+ years ago).

Maine has rocky beaches further north around Bar Harbor. Orchard Beach is sandy and more touristy. I don't know anything more than that.

Cape Cod is a 45 minute drive to get any place from where you are. The beach areas don't have accommodations close to the beach from what I could see. (We stayed with friends in Barnstable.) Don't go in the water  on the ocean side because of the sharks. The bay is probably good but I never did find a spot to fly because I didn't want to drive 45 minutes and find it wasn't good flying. Off the highways the speed limit is 35 mph in a lot of the areas that are "thickly settled" according to the signs.

KONE (Kites Over New England) can probably recommend good places in Mass and Rhode Island. I liked Hammonasset State Park in CT. (New England might be your best bet because it's a tad cooler than the south and the club is very active.)

NJ has a lot of beach flying but restricted at Island Beach State Park. I like NJ because the temperature is more moderate and less humid in the summer than further south. Cape May is good but it might be a bit of a walk to the beach. Ocean City, NJ is very accessible to the beach. Prices are cheaper 3 or more blocks away from the beach further south beyond 30th Street and they're short blocks. Life guards start at 9:00 and the beaches fill up during the day. If you can fly, you'd have to fly short lines. You'll need beach passes ($10 a day for most public beaches.) Long Beach Island is popular but can be expensive depending on where you stay.

Liberty State Park in Jersey City is one of the best because it's right on the water and it's great when the wind is coming through the Verrazano Narrows, not as good when it's coming from the west. A lot of people come to picnic so you'd have to try one of the first parking lots (they're much smaller) and not the main one. I think there might be bus or train service to the park.

Bob D.
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 07:15 AM »

Just south of OBX (SOBX), Fort Macon State Park at Atlantic Beach NC. Large beach area, open to public but no swimming. Restored fort for sight seeing, restrooms, parking. Best flying area is a short hike from the parking back down the road and straight across from the cannons.  South facing beach gets good wind from S, E and W. Good kite shop at Atlantic Beach Shopping Center, Kites Unlimited.

Should you opt for the OBX area, check out the kite shop in Corolla across from the lighthouse, Flying Smiles Kites.
ZekeII

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36 PM »

Brenton Point State park is nice and Scarborough State beach in Rhode Island.  Not a lot of room though
FKC
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:24 PM »

Brenton Point is in Newport, RI on the Ocean Drive. Good wind there.

When flying your kite, if the wind is in your face you are facing the wrong way.
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 11:11 AM »

I'll put my hand up for Long Island if you're going to be in the NYC area. 600 miles of shoreline and some of the best winds that I've experienced.

FKC
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 04:07 PM »

Nahant Beach near Lynn Mass is where the KONE kites Over New England kite club flyers fly. Nice beach with goo winds. When I lived in Mass I belonged to the club. Whole bunch of nice people. It is not far from Boston. North of Boston.
Enjoy your trip.
Fred

When flying your kite, if the wind is in your face you are facing the wrong way.
Ashbridge

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:53 PM »

All booked for OBX, found some nice accommodation in Kill Devil Hills.  Pretty excited, here's hoping for favourable winds.

Thanks to all for posting their recommendations.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:55 AM »

You'll always have plenty of wind in Kill Devil  Hills! The breeze can be stiff at the top of the dunes across from Kitty Hawk Kites. We haven't been in years but I liked to go early in the morning and be back home by 10:00 before it got too hot.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites