GWTW Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
member support is greatly appreciated
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Terminator by Fred Adler  (Read 2046 times)
MadHungarian
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 29, 2019, 04:12 PM »

I recently acquired an X-Terminator. I haven't been able to find any info about it or the kite maker. I'm hoping someone can tell me about both.

The leading edge sail is signed with:
X-Terminator #16
By Fred Adler 8-25-95

The sail is vented.

Posting link to Google photos here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pJpmw5CK6dYWMA8t7

Kite bag: Ocius UL, Aura UL, Duende 2.4 UL, Widow NG, Hypnotist, Acrobatx, Addiction, HQ Beamer V 4m, HQ Symphony (1.8, 2.0, 2.5)
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 05:11 PM »

interesting....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 06:58 PM »

I flew with Fred and his better half Gerri at BASKL comps and west coast kite festivals in the late '90s and early '00s.

They were one of my favorite kite couples. Long since retired from kiting as far as I know.

The X-Terminator kites were made by Fred primarily for their pairs flying as "Lasting Impressions" and individual competition. He was happy to make them for people, but I have never seen one in anyones hands.

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:08 PM »

Sharp looking vented. Wow.

MadHungarian

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:44 PM »

Thanks for all the info, especially about Fred.

I received this kite (and three other old school kites) from an acquaintance that "inherited" many kites from the estate of a couple that lived in Colorado Springs. They were apparently active in the kite community for many years. I'll attempt to learn more about them and report back here. I suspect there's a connection.

I'm old enough to appreciate history and that newer doesn't necessarily mean better. I've been impressed by the quality of the sewing on many of these old kites.

On this particular kite, the only issue is a slight tear in the vent fabric near a standoff. It uses heavy duty rubber bands to retain the standoffs on the spreader. I'm surprised they are still pliable (usually rubber bands don't last long in the dry climate of Colorado).

Another interesting feature is that the standoff near the leading edge is almost like the wingtip battens on the Prism E3; however, in this case it goes from a pocket on the trailing edge to the lower spreader.

Really looking forward to flying this kite.

Kite bag: Ocius UL, Aura UL, Duende 2.4 UL, Widow NG, Hypnotist, Acrobatx, Addiction, HQ Beamer V 4m, HQ Symphony (1.8, 2.0, 2.5)
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:21 AM »

Agressive lookin' this one!

MadHungarian

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 06:27 PM »

This kite is from the estate of John and Mary Gabby. They lived in Colorado Springs and were apparently active in the kiting community. Perhaps they knew Fred Adler and that may explain why they had the X-Terminator?

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 05:07 AM »

I sort of recognize that name. He had a single line kite up in the Lewis and Clark display show....and some of his own designs too: http://kite.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2006_V28_I4.Trapadella.pdf

quick google shows he was Team Windependent (John Gabby, Mary Baier)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:30 AM »

Got to fly this kite yesterday a bit. Thought the kite would be loud but it's very quite. Winds weren't going much over 10 mph but the kite still felt lighter on the lines than I expected. Mad Hungarian did a lot of really nice axles and 1/2 axles on it. Kite will go on it's back but there is a lot of places to snag the lines. Didn't think the winds were going to be that high or I would have brought my Mind Trick vented to compare the two. 3 to 4 inches of wet snow on the ground and I'd forgotten my boots. Few minutes of tangling the kite I had to go back to running around in my tennis shoes with the Mongoose to keep my feet from freezing. No, trying to be tough does not overcome stupidity  Sad. Lucky I didn't lose a toe or 2.Got to see a Prism Illusion fly too. Prettiest kite I've got to see in the air. Turned around seeing it for the first time and Pretty Dancing Girl was my first thought. Giggled for 5 minutes over that. Cold feet and all sure was cool seeing some old kites in the air. TOTL Extreme flying as I was getting ready to leave. That had some noise.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
MadHungarian

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 10:21 AM »

Allen Carter put me in touch with Fred Adler and I was able to speak with him on the phone today. I'm going to document that conversation here in case anyone is interested.

Fred has an aeronautics background, ex Air Force. He also designed and flew RC planes and gliders.

He flew kites primarily in the Berkeley area. He competed in kite ballet with his wife. He said that in Berkley they often flew in high wind. He met John Gaby at Berkeley. The X-Terminator that I acquired was one of John's kites. He said there used to be a fairly large kite club at Berkeley, about 40 people.

Fred had an accident and fell down stairs in 1978. As a result he injured his back. So he wanted a kite with less pull and that was why he designed the X-Terminator. That's why the X-Terminator has a flatter sail profile. The small angled standoffs at the wingtips are to reduce washout. The name for the X-Terminator stems from the fact that it's primary rival at the time was a kite called the Wasp.

He thinks he built about 50 X-Terminator kites total. Some UL, mostly standard, and some vented. He built them and sold them to other people to get money for materials and parts. He did all the fabrication and sewing.

He hasn't been active in kiting in over 15 years.

So that's the story of the X-Terminator. He encouraged me to try to get a standard version if I got the chance. I'm guessing the likelihood of that is small.

I have had one opportunity to fly the X-Terminator so far. It still flies, nothing wrong with it. As Fred intended, the pull is minimum. I'll need more time with the kite to get used to it.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 05:39 PM »

You'd be surprised.

Put up a want ad and a standard might show up.

It's amazing what shows up if people put it out there to the community.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 02:53 AM »

I’m glad you got in touch with Fred. He and his wife Gerri were a big part of my initiation into sport kite competition in 1999.

I met Gerri first, in fact she was the person who came up to me at the first comp I attended as a spectator and encouraged me to compete. Gerri was one of those people who was really good at pulling people in and making introductions. Later that year at my first WSIKF she introduced me to Ray Bethel and other important, if less legendary, people.

I don’t think I’d said more than Hello to Fred by the time I took the field for my first Ballet competition. I had done poorly in the first event of the day, Precision,  and was extremely nervous going into Ballet. One of the challenges for a first timer is just the logistics of getting your kite and lines on and off the field over the boundary tapes. Everyone sets up to one side of the field, the “Pit” area, so the events can take place without too much transition delay. I flew last in the Novice Ballet and as I was flying people were setting up kites in the pit for the next event, pairs Ballet.

My routine went well and I was thrilled! Totally distracted and coming down from the adrenaline as I left the field. The awkwardness of getting on and off the field was forgotten and I tried to step over the boundary tape while still holding my kite. I took a big step and CRUNCH.

I stepped right onto a pair of SUL X-Terminators. Oh My God! 

Fred came running and started inspecting the damage, throwing me dirty looks as I stammered my apologies and offered to pay for the damage. After a few minutes he took me aside and “patiently” explained it wasn’t the cost he was pissed off about, but that he thought it would be the end of their day, that they wouldn’t be able to fly! Then he half smiled and said I was lucky and unlucky at the same time. Unlucky to step on his SULs and break 7 expensive spars. Lucky that the wind had just picked up and they would be flying their STD kites. :-)

Fred and I got to be friends after that rocky first day, and I always looked forward to seeing him and Gerri.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:00 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: