GWTW Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star of David - my own stunt kite creation  (Read 688 times)
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: January 31, 2019, 04:08 AM »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share with you the kite project I've been working on. This stunt kite is my own creation, the Star of David, named after its pattern. The pattern is in honor of Israel's 70th year of independence. It's the result of a year long process of design, manufacturing, testing and finally fine tuning, which I completed this week, along with this video.

It's a 2.4m wingspan, framed in Sky Shark Black Diamond Nitro Strong and STD LE of 155cm, P300 spine, Nitro LS and 6mm US, 20g weight ballast, and a 3 point bridle. The wind range is 8-22 kmh, though it's most comfortable between 10 to 15 kmh. The wind speed on the video was around 10-12 kmh. Recommended lines are 50kg 25m on lower winds, and 30 on mid to high.

The inputs are of a 3/4 kites, while it's behavior is of a full size.
The kite flies well in both inland and beach winds. For comparison I would say this kite feels like a compromise between the Sixth Sense and the Hugo (my ability to compare is limited to the kites I tried), but of course both of those kites are still superior to mine, in their own way.

I've yet to decide if to put the plans out as open source, we'll see.

Special thanks to Philipp Garbe and Birger Garbe for their Kite Plan Generator plugin. I used it along with Inkscape when designing the kite plans.

Thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/XxHkA2ILBSg

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:00 AM »

nice design work and I love the color pattern.....
well done...!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:56 AM »

Good looking sport kite and a nice photo.  Smiley

midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:02 AM »

Impressive project -- designing, building, filming a neat looking kite. Picking up sewing skills along the way if you didn't already have them. Inspiring.

Build looks sturdy from the specs. What does it tip the scales at (if I may ask?).

If it flies like that in 10 kph you are doing something right. Bunch of things.

Fly your pants off
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:56 AM »

NICE!!!

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:34 PM »

Nice. Always good to see a new design.
I'm impressed with how close rotation is to the centre of the kite. Both for pitch and e.g backspins,  for a 2.4m kite it rotates in a small radius.

I'm guessing if it needs the inputs of a 3/4 kite and rotates so tight you've got a pretty short bridle? Sometimes they can be hard work but you are obviously well in tune with it that's some nice flying  Smiley

birdlovers
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 04:08 PM »

Beautiful Kite Design and Build!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Tim P.
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 11:22 PM »

Gorgeous kite!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:45 PM by Tim P. » Logged
Steve Hall
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 12:02 AM »

Sorry ... That user has been banned from using the forum.
Shalom

Steve ...
former owner GWTW Kites
former kite flyer
currently the "slightly impaired" owner of the GWTW Kite Forum
HiNator86
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 03:08 AM »

Nice build! Awesome job!

The Bigger the Better!!
Force 10
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL North Shore Radical 99”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Crystal Kite Chainlink 93"
Prism Hypnosist 93”
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 01:44 PM »

Great work Design and build.

Mike
Palmahnic

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 01:54 AM »

Thank you all for such great support and compliments! You really made happy and proud reading all this!  Grin (Racist comments? really? lucky I was late to see those. Shalom indeed  Cheesy )

John, I took the photo with my phone (Huawei P20) and the scene came out just right, including the paraphrase on the famous 'cameraman holding the model's hand'.

I didn't check the weight of it yet, I don't even have the final bridle specs either, as I just finished the final testing and fine tuning on the beach, but I'm guessing somewhere around 300g.

I will probably go back to the drawing board to better compensate for the depth distortion, and to make the star a bit slimmer.

Ian, you guessed right! The bridle is very short, shorter than any I've seen, but it was the only way I was happy with the pull/speed/wind-range/trick-ability. It's not the most forgiving kite though, because of it, but if you get the input right, the form of the trick is quite rewarding. I especially like the JL, as those come out flat and don't fall deep into the turtle. Also the Taz is super nice, but hard to hit every time.  I may have solved that by putting the upper leg 1cm higher.
I actually read your kite building blog quite thoroughly before starting the whole process, and it was very helpful in understanding the elements of kite design. Every time I was struggling with an aspect, like standoff position or LE curvature, I found myself coming back to your website to re-read it. Thank you for writing it, and keeping it online.

This kite design and building is the result of trial and error, but more importantly, reading a lot of threads here, Ian's kite building website and others, the Birger's Inkscape plugin, etc. In short, it takes a village, so thank you dear village people! (no pun intended  Cheesy )

Iftah.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites