GWTW Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stunt Kite Tail Weights - Viper  (Read 484 times)
2nd Wind
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: February 01, 2019, 09:46 AM »

This topic was discussed in general several years ago under the title "Making Stunt Kite Tail Weights Easily & Cheaply", but I wanted to bring it up again specifically for one brand of kite. I recently purchased a Viper UL from a Forum member & am quite pleased with the performance of this kite. It has some interesting build techniques, not the least of which is its "Variable Weight System." Thus, this post to those of you who may own, owned, or flew a Viper over the years. I have attached several photos below of how Shawn constructed his weight system & it seems the main component of the system is the brass door pin (21g) that fits into the spine - I get that. What is perplexing though, is the large, loosely fitting metal collar (10.5g) that fits over the spine & is captured by the very large gray end cap & the flange on the door pin.

So my question is: Where does the "variable weight" come into play? different weights of metal collars? different lengths of brass door pins?

Comments much appreciated!!  Wink

A bag - kites,   B bag - more kites,   C bag - even more kites...yikes!
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:08 AM »

In case you do not have it (them) all of the manuals for Shawn's kites are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8LtJ0px1M9NWFiYTZhNTktOTE5MS00YTIyLWFlM2YtNTNiNGI1NTQxYzk5

looks like the oRings are missing for the added weight(s) (mentioned in the Tantrum manual, but you seem to only have 1 of maybe 3 there could have been straight from Shawn)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
2nd Wind

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:49 AM »

Thanks Thief,

I have the Viper UL Manual, but it doesn't have anything in it that describes the Variable Weight System. Never thought to look at the Tantrum manual!! Huh

I'm sure I can get O rings to fit from the hardware store, maybe some steel tubing as well.  Do you know of anybody that might yet have these steel weights from Shawn?

Bob

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:41 PM »

Knowing Shawn (and I do) they were most likely just straight off the shelf from Home Depot steel pipe......He told me during early iterations of his kites he would walk around HD looking for things to repurpose...

Unfortunately he stepped out of the kite world awhile back. I think that he is more focused on horses again.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:35 PM »

IIRC there were more steel washers/bits/bushings which came with the kites when new - which allowed you to chop and change.

You could go that route - or buy some hingebolts and cut them to shorter lengths to achieve the same result.

-Frazer
2nd Wind

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 02:18 PM »

IIRC there were more steel washers/bits/bushings which came with the kites when new - which allowed you to chop and change.

You could go that route - or buy some hingebolts and cut them to shorter lengths to achieve the same result.

-Frazer

True, but the kite currently has 31g of weight at the tail (between the hinge pin & steel collar). By going with hinge pins (21g) only, I could reduce the total weight incrementally, but not increase it, if that was ever required.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 02:57 PM »

Door hinge pins are a great way to make tail weights since they fit inside most rods and can be cut to length to make different weights like Frazier mentioned.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 04:28 PM »

-Frazer

True, but the kite currently has 31g of weight at the tail (between the hinge pin & steel collar). By going with hinge pins (21g) only, I could reduce the total weight incrementally, but not increase it, if that was ever required.
Um .. well, this is a UL and 31g of weight is quite a substantial amount already.

But - like I also said, rummage around Home Depot (like Shawn did) for larger and/or more dense bushings/nuts etc.

-Frazer
2nd Wind

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 06:06 PM »

Um .. well, this is a UL and 31g of weight is quite a substantial amount already.

But - like I also said, rummage around Home Depot (like Shawn did) for larger and/or more dense bushings/nuts etc.

-Frazer
[/quote]

Very true, but it flies great with that amount of weight. I suppose this whole thing is academic, as I don't ever see needing more weight than it already has.  Embarrassed

Thanks Frazer & all who commented!! Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites