GWTW Forum
March 23, 2019, 12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying the Wala  (Read 2265 times)
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 04:32 PM »

Glider- next option I would suggest would be a Skate....totally worth it!
Another option would be to contact Doug Stoat here on the forum, he is creating some awesome gliders that he sells too....top notch quality from an amazing maker!
Lots of sizes to choose from

I'll give a thumbs up to Dougs kite. I have a Bird of Prey. Great indoor flyer!

I have a couple of Doug's smaller kites...very proud to have them and fly them..they are works of art....I still need to get the 8' though.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 06:07 PM »

I really like will struts sturdy's chiropetra for sul winds

Sine Metu!
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 07:00 PM »

Oh yeah....I forget that Will is making them again...
I love my Chiro!

There are some other options out there:
http://windsweptkites.blogspot.com/2013/11/listing-out-xul-single-line-kites.html

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kodama
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 05:13 AM »

Hello all,
Thanks for all recommendations. Prepared a 50 feet line from a spool of 110# Dacron that I have for SLK. Weight and line diameter feel good, helps on glides and easier to manage. But I think 50 feet is still too long for flying in a basketball court. Will try shortening it to 35 of 40 feet. Will also try other line weights.
While flying outdoor over grass, apparently on one of the “unplanned landings” the end cap at the tail got loose. I lost the cap and the string tightening the spine got loose. Still have the line, but don’t know how it was set before. There are two holes at the end of the spine sleeve. I used on of them, and found a spare cap, but it’s bigger then needed, so I might lose it again. Anyone can post a picture on how the string is set at the end of the spine? Thanks again!
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 08:09 AM »

Kodama,

For my indoor ultra-light indoor swept forward wing glider kites with 36 to 48 inch wing spans, I use 10 lb. PowerPro Braided Spectra Fishing Line, about 25 to 30 feet in length, with connection loops tied at each end.  I use 5 lb. on for 18 and 24 inch wing spans, about 10 to 20 feet in length.  I believe this fishing line comes in yellow, green and red, where I use yellow.  For ultra-light indoor glider kites, you want to use a small diameter spectra line, because the flying line adds drag and weight that will alter the glider slope of the glider kite, as the kite increases it distance from you. 

For my outdoor swept forward wing glider kites, I use spectra line that we use for dual and quad line stunt kites, ranging from 50 to 150 lb. for winds under 10 mph.  Using a fighter kite spool allows the spool to rest on the ground and spool off the line as needed.  Since my swept forward wing glider kites have much less pull on the flying line when on a climb and glide, when compared to conventional swept back wing glider kites, I can use lighter smoother flying line.  If you are flying outdoors in winds above 2 mph, an increase in the weight of the flying line will act like adding additional nose weight.  Also with higher winds that are below the upper limit of the design, additional nose weight will assist the glider kite to penetrate the wind.

The development of my glider kites can be viewed on this great forum under the following post:  http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8850.0  When I started this post five years ago, we never expected it to grow to 44 pages.  Thank you to all that follow my development process and provide feedback.

The above post references my Google Drive, which contains my plans, pictures and articles.  The link is provided below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFfm9QWmZzOHpzNC0ySWp2VVBIMHJmeXJPaHZTazY4SXV4dG5NWEMtSUpJLXM?usp=sharing

Thief indicated that I build my swept forward wing glider kites for others.  The following link provides access to the fly of what I currently offer:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFfm9QWmZzOHpzNC0ySWp2VVBIMHJmeXJPaHZTazY4SXV4dG5NWEMtSUpJLXM?usp=sharing

Thief,

As always, thank you for your kind words about my designs.  Hoping we can get together in the near future, so you can tinker with my larger glider kites.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites