GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 06:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surprising Tail Draggers  (Read 1164 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 13, 2009, 08:29 PM »

Today, the winds were in their usual bumpy mood, ranging from 10 to 20 mph. I had the Team Hawaiian out for photos (our very first kite).

After taking some pics, the kite was sent up on 110'x150# lines with a very big 100'x7" diameter tube tail.

While the kite looked and sounded very cool, the wind would often drop to where the Team Hawaiian just ran out of ability to pull that 2+ lb tail around.

On a whim, I pulled out the City Styx (or is it Styx City) (STX 2.1). Note that 2.1 meters translates to less than 73". But somehow I felt that the very fast kite (tight leech line) might be a match. Tied some line just above the center-T to the swivel and launched. That little kite pulled that big lineset and tail around very, very quickly. Much better than the Hawaiian. I got several really tight spirals and could cut reasonable figures, considering the weight the kite was dragging.

So, there you go. Sub-7' kite handling a lot of weight easily.

Whodathunk?

What do you folks use to pull the big tails around? Any surprise kites?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:35 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:01 PM »

If my Proph and tail didn't look so good together, I'd use a smaller, faster kite. I only drag a tail when there's lots of wind (OK, I did muscle the Proph & tail in 5MPH at KP, same day this photo was taken) so a big wing for lift isn't a necessity. Spinny is more fun. PBSKs work great as tail pullers.

Photo by "k239" on Flickr. Thanks whoever you are.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:04 PM »

PBSK designed a kite specifically for pulling tails, the Windwhip.

Now everybody run away before Z8 shows up.

Roll Eyes
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:14 PM »

I really like that pic of yours Allen! NICE!

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:41 PM »

Micron - 45' x 3" poly tube tail.  Doesn't slow the kite down much.  Best part was after landing the kite and watching the tail stretch out towards the horizon compared to the short height of the kite.  Worst part was rolling the tail up in high winds  Sad

HQ BatKite - hauling 24' tails x 3 (1 Tube Tail off the spine and flat transition tails off the each wing tip)

Dopero - 2 48 foot tube tails to the vertical spars

WindDance 3 - 2 Premier tailsets (each tail set is 6 15' segment).  Premier very quietly released these about 12-18 months ago.  Since you can mix and match the segments, they're pretty versatile.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:28 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:57 PM »

PBSK designed a kite specifically for pulling tails, the Windwhip.

Roll Eyes

First time I ever flew a tube tail was on a crowded beach at WSIKF. I was chatting with Peter and he was doing his thing with a Windwhip and 100' tail. I said "I'd like to try a tail someday". He said, "I've got another in the car, here take the lines, I'll be right back..."

30 minutes (seemed like hours) later he was back and I was happy to report I hadn't crashed or tangled once. Hell of a intro to flying in a festival crowd.  Smiley

(zipper can go fly a kite)

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:30 PM »

I am trying a new tolerant approach to such frivolities but let's keep it brief for my sake, shall we ?  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:42 PM »

I got a bet in for 6 pages of frivolous kite tail tales  Huh

<* Runs away quickly *>

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change