GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 08:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lam's kites LE tensioning tips  (Read 3265 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: September 13, 2009, 10:41 PM »

Folks,

I needed to re-tension me LEs this weekend and was at a loss at exactly how to do it, even though I have done it many times.  Luckily, someone was there to help.  I also found these.  The pictures, in particular, worked well for my understanding.

movie from
Lam Hoac's wing tensioning

pictures from http://public.fotki.com/jmartjr/kite_fests/sea_devil_tensionin/

Ray also showed me a few more things which I will post here once I write it up.

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:29 AM »

Hey...
Thanks for digging that one up... I remember seeing it a while back (good thing) and I had to tension the wingtips on my Sea Devil a couple of times from memory. Now that I've seen it again, I should be able to do it the next time without that much struggle. You know how it goes... the simplest things...
~Rob.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:18 AM »

That didn't look simple.  Huh

Simple is pulling a knot over the nock and letting the few inches of pulling line hang.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:15 AM »

Simple is pulling a knot over the nock and letting the few inches of pulling line hang.

That's not simple, it's sloppy Grin

"Do what you like"
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 09:31 AM »

Haha - well, if it is any consolation, I find it easier to do a JL on this kite than it is to tension the wingtips!  Smiley

Mostly, I keep them tensioned (which is why I forgot how to do it when I needed to).  It's not like I could not get them setup, I just wanted to do it in the proper way. 

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:41 AM »

That's not simple, it's sloppy

Don't tell Shawn Tinkham and Ken McNeill that.  Huh Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:52 AM »

That's not simple, it's sloppy Grin

Put a dorsal cap over the noch and its neat as a pin.
And way more user friendly than what's going on in that video.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:12 AM »

I like that setup. If you want snag-free, the only thing cleaner is an O-ring sewn in place.

Considering the only time I'd ever undo that is to replace parts, the bit of extra labor isn't an issue.

Whether it's really needed, that's not for me to say. People have jumped through hoops to make the nose cap snag free, but I suppose that's set and forget.

I always like seeing alternative methods for stuff. Lam spends a lot of time thinking about this kind of thing, I think.

Allen, AKA kitehead
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 10:22 AM »

Lam is the master of details that count.  I have flown Fearless for 3 years as is from Lam.  It is a no fuss kite with minimal snags, great balance, with simple setup.  I am sure there are many other ways to do things but I think Lam has used his years flying experience and competition to design this kite.  I am sure other kites are great to but Lam seems to really have the details down nicely.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 12:04 PM »

It would seem to spread the tensioning out over a longer area, but I would think that little pigtail just tucked in might slip out and end up dangling or even loosening up but I guess nobody is experiencing that.

I still prefer a preset knotted tensioner, my reasoning is it should be more consistent and balanced evenly side to side, if setup properly the first time. Like most I seldom de-tension unless needing to pack shorter for traveling, I'd just rather not deal with balancing the tension on those few occasions. Pull it, hook it, forget it.

Lams method is far superior then pulling it over the knock and wrapping it around and around and tying a sheepsbend then tucking the extra up the leading edge like we did on some back in the "Good old days"  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 12:59 PM »

Two out of three of our Fearless came full length................so when we got the Tatoo broken down I scratched the ol' head for a while and copied the other two......................looks like I did it right according to the vid....
so far I find Lam's methods to work really well......seems to have the cleanest wigtips around.......trouble is......when you watch him doing it in real life, he's so fast......it's hard to follow.

Thanks for the vid Tom Cool
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ezme6

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 03:24 PM »

That's not simple, it's sloppy

Don't tell Shawn Tinkham and Ken McNeill that.  Huh Roll Eyes

Not to worry, I don't know either of 'em

"Do what you like"
tpatter

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 03:33 PM »

......trouble is......when you watch him doing it in real life, he's so fast......it's hard to follow.

Yeah, his tricking is like that as well - he makes it look so easy you wonder why you can't do it yourself!  Smiley

Anyhow, once you do it a few times, it is quite simple and elegant - I've never had one come loose.

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 12:08 PM »

My idea of simple and neat.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ezme6

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 12:23 PM »

My idea of simple and neat.

Denny

but ugly

"Do what you like"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum