GWTW Forum
May 24, 2019, 12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th
to contact us email: kitekid@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kite do you recommend and why?  (Read 1369 times)
Trevor W.
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 22, 2019, 04:55 PM »

I just started flying kites last year.  I have some single lines, a couple quad lines and a few dual line kites.  I've been able to progress with the quad line kites pretty quickly but I've had a tougher time learning how to do tricks on a two line.

Currently I own a Prism E3, a 4-D, an older Benson my friend gave me, and an older Prism (given to me by the same friend) that looks like a predecessor to the E3.

I'd like to buy a two line UL.  I've heard that some kites trick easier than others.

If any one has a favorite kite they like, or something they would recommend as a kite that is easy to trick with, please let me know.  There are a lot of nice kites out there.  I just want to make an informed decision.

Don't misunderstand me.  I know it takes a lot of practice to fly a kite well; and I'm sure many people can do most tricks on any kite.  I guess I just want a "high end" kite that might take me to the next level.

Thank you for your valued input.

(FYI: I've been looking at the new AC UL by Sky Sport Design; if anyone has ever flown one.)
PaoloM
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:27 PM »

What older Benson? You could get a new version of that...assuming itís a Gemini, or get a SuperFly, or a SuperNova, both UL.
The first being nimble and tricky, the second slower and bigger, still plenty of tricks. I own and love both.

SuperNova STD/UL, SuperFly STD/UL, Nirvana STD/SUL, Fulcrum STD/UL, Gemini, MiniGem, (Illusion, Sizzle. Alien)
Trevor W.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:10 PM »

I think it's an Outer Space. Definitely not a light kite. I've done axels on it, and backflips.

Thanks.😀
hawkerhunter

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:35 PM »

Benson Deep Space UL or Jest Of Eve "Talon" UL. Both incredible kites with a proven track record.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+33)

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 07:15 AM »

Frankly I think this is totally dependent on where you live.

Coastal designers, europe, etc, UL's will all be heavier than designers that use their kites inland. You'll notice a substantial change in weight, and skills needed to fly them. One requires more sweep and a lot more understanding due to less weight, where the coastal kites are heavier and frankly more fun haha (saying this as an inland flyer and designer).

If you're inland, a good choice could be an Exile UL, WM UL, Ocius UL. If you're new, I'd avoid the Solus (for now), and kites like the Cosmic line, Jynx, Superfly, Elixir, etc, and kites that are more one side of the spectrum than the middle.

If youre looking for just plain old fun with a great cross over range, Ill second the Deepspace UL. I think it's a fabulous kite- can't go wrong with it. Precision isn't super fantastic, but that's not what the kite was built for, and the UL range goes well into comfy inland ranges. If you're looking for more balance, the WMUL or Exile UL if you can find one aren't bad calls- the WM will excel more at rotational tricks where the Exile will stutter. The Exile will favor more of a roll up based style and i think will fly smoother, where the WM favors two pops. I would recommend my kite, the Solus, but I do think there's a pretty big learning curve for a beginner flyer.
If youre looking for something a bit more radical than the Exile, the Enigma UL or SUL is a good option as well, although not produced anymore. Likely about as rare, or rarer, than an Elixir.

Anywho, lot of words yes, but I do thing its valid to check into kites that were designed primarily in conditions around where you live. Sadly being inland, theres a lot of kites that never have gotten proper air time for their caliber which sucks, because they're fantastic. They fly low yes, but with all the spikes and drops in the wind its more frustrating which isn't a knock on the kite, but rather the winds that we're used to inland. I'd spend some time digging, then after you get a few good axe's, balance the kite bag out with more tools that will make things flexible in the realm of sheer fun and laughs.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Trevor W.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:27 AM »

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question and for providing such useful insight.

I agree that some kites are "too much kite" for my limited experience. 

I have been reading reviews and watching videos of the Deep Space UL.  It seems like an accessible kite for me.

I live in Southern Maine, by the way.  I fly at a beach near where I live; only when the tide is out.  Also at a point in South Portland, Maine. A beautiful spot called Bug Light Park (named after the lighthouse that is there.) 

Thank you again.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 09:56 AM »

Another vote for the Benson Deep Space UL

• Very floaty and forgiving of inputs - good for learning tricks
  • Has a big wind range - you can remove tailweight/upper spreader and fly in close to SUL winds
  • Benson's are the best made kites, period
  • You can get custom colors - please choose tasteful ones
  • It'll do all tricks except perhaps cynqiues

I have far too many dual lines but the DSUL remains my favorite.

-Frazer
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 11:45 AM »

For a relatively modern, available new, kite, I highly recommend the Deep Space UL.

Its friendly enough to learn a lot on, easy to fly and has great heaps of capability. Super well made. A very good investment.

I sold Frazer mine and every time he expresses his undying love for it I think of ordering a new one.  :-)

Allen, AKA kitehead
2nd Wind
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 11:52 AM »

All the kites mentioned above are very good choices, but I'd like to answer your question regarding the AC UL by Lam Hoac (Sky Sport Designs). I own several of Lam's AC's (thus my Avatar), & I'm an old skool, inland flyerCry

What impresses me about the AC UL is its incredibly wide wind range for an UL & it can be flown in moderately higher winds with just a lower spreader change. It will trick with the best of them & has moderate speed in all wind ranges that will allow you to learn the tricks easier (I'm no trick flyer by any stretch of the imagination, but even I have learned a good number of tricks easier using the AC).

Construction of the kite is top notch & Lam stands by his kites from initial inquiry through learning the kite's flying characteristic & doing tricks.

A big ++++ for the AC UL Tongue
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:57 AM by 2nd Wind » Logged

A bag - kites,   B bag - more kites,   C bag - even more kites...yikes!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 11:53 AM »

I have a DS standard and a Widow Maker standard. I really like both but give the edge to the WM. For me, the WM is a tad more trickable than the DS. I have a lot more trouble with rotational tricks with the DS than the WM. I don't have to worry about giving enough slack for the WM to come all the way around for a lazy susan. The DS is a lot harder for me to do the same thing. I don't know about their Ultra Light brothers though. If the UL versions fly like the standards, I'd go with the Widow Maker.

I definitely don't have the skills of some of the others here. If you're a quick learner (unlike me) and have the time (unlike me), either one would be a good choice. One thing I really like about the DS is to launch the kite on its back with its nose toward when you give the nose a tug to catch the wind under it to rock it on the roll bars. It's a beautiful kite and very well made.

Don't forget that the more expert flyers here can fly anything in any kind of wind and make it look it easy. It's harder for the less experienced to fly in less wind. A nice, steady beach wind would be good but it's a narrow range for ideal conditions for a UL. Too strong and it will be harder to trick. Too low and it will be a challenge to keep it flying and be able to do anything. (That's where I'm at with my flying skills.) I'm guessing the 4D gives you an idea of what it's like to fly in low wind. (I have a 3D and can't do much more than axel it.)  A UL might give you a similar challenge.

Bob D.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 01:56 PM »

I'd go with the Widow Maker.

For a Standard, I like the Widow Maker too, but I don't know how available they are new. Skyburner has had some production issues recently.

For the UL as requested by the poster, the Deep Space UL is unique enough that it gets my vote over other UL versions of of good kites. And you can order one new.

Allen

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 09:14 PM »

Another vote for the Benson Deep Space UL

• Very floaty and forgiving of inputs - good for learning tricks
  • Has a big wind range - you can remove tailweight/upper spreader and fly in close to SUL winds
  • Benson's are the best made kites, period
  • You can get custom colors - please choose tasteful ones
  • It'll do all tricks except perhaps cynqiues

I have far too many dual lines but the DSUL remains my favorite.

-Frazer

All the above +1

Sine Metu!
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 05:49 AM »

Been flying for about a year and a half.Spent 3 months looking for another SUL. Air One Grid and Arrow 2 panel were at the top of the list. Got the AC a few weeks ago. It's tough, a trick monster and stated wind range is 1 to 10 mph. Need to get some 30# x 80' to fly better in 1 to 2.Kind of a nice floaty feel at the very bottom but at 2 powers up nice and smooth. Stays the same all thru it's wind range with no weird quirks as the winds rise and fall. It's handled my inland gusty winds really well sustaining 12/13 mph hits with relative ease.Flies on longer lines than most SULs. Really sweet on 120' x 50#. Pricey but for me well worth it.It's my3rd Lam kite and I'll probably get another. Would REALLY like to have a Skyburner Solus and a Benson Superfly though  Smiley.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: