GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 03:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Digital is giving out Acronis True Image WD Edition Software for free.  (Read 3592 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: September 14, 2009, 11:48 AM »

Found this S/W deal this morning, while reading about Taylor Swift/ Kanye West excitement

It's from Western Digital, so I assume the reference to copying to your new WD hard drive is sales hype, it should work on any brand drive ( I have not tested it myself though)

Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

Acronis True Image WD Edition Software helps you to completely clone your current system drive onto your new WD hard drive. Cloning makes an exact copy of your old system drive on your new WD hard drive, including the operating system, applications, data, preferences, and email settings. Everything will be present and operate exactly as it did on your old hard drive.

Supported Operating Systems

* Windows XP
    * Windows Vista

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:51 PM »

One of the best, if it will run without having to find a Western Digital drive present. Seems it should since you first need to install it on your current drive to make the image for transfer to your new WD drive, unless the restore/copy feature is disabled unless the WD is present.

If anybody trys it let us know if it's a go for you.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:34 PM »

I got some questions about this S/W so I thought I would provide additional info

If you are looking to back up info to install on a new laptop/computer  this will not do the trick

If you are getting a new laptop and want the new to exactly like the old then this may or may not work (different hardware)

keep in mind that some computers come with the restore on the HD and you need to burn your own disks, this should be preformed before cloneing the drive, also keep in mind

if you clone a old drive and install into a new computer it may not work because of different hardware drivers needed.

This S/W is for cloning an existing drive to a different drive, not backing up the whole drive

From W/D site:(The WD version of Acronis only allows the backup of My Computer. If you want to backup additional items you will need to purchase the upgrade to Acronis True Image Home Edition 2009.)

There is two ways to preform a clone of the HD,

first is on your desktop computer

install the new HD into your computer as a second drive (slave or cable select)
and use the S/W to clone (Instructions:Automaticor manual

The second way involes using a device like this

It will work with 2.5 (laptop) or 3.5 (desktop) hard drives (you will have to remove the laptop drive from the computer)

then follow the instructions.

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:19 AM »

I have Acronis True Image 9.0 from 3 years ago and it's a great piece of software. I cloned my Dell's entire C: partition as well as the hidden restore partition. It will also back up to DVDs. It's very simple to use.

I eventually had a power outage which corrupted my boot DLL. I put in the old HD, attached the problematic drive to an external shell, found the file to restore and fixed it. Piece of cake!

Acronis TI gets tops reviews!

Bob D.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:15 PM »

In order to install the program your system needs to have a Western Digital hard drive.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kiteking

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:59 PM »

In order to install the program your system needs to have a Western Digital hard drive.

Not totally correct, I did install the program onto my laptop with no problem. The drive installed in the laptop is a Hitachi HTS541010G9SA00

I attached 2 different external hard drives, one is a Western Digital, the other is a Seagate, the program only reconizes the WD drive and not the Seagate

The correct configuration

installs on any computer....but will only clone to a Western Digital hard drive

sorry for any confusion this may have caused, but if your new hard drive is a Western Digital this is a great program,

The WD drive I attached was a terabyte and read it fine

If you need to clone none WD drives you can upgrade to the full version for $29.99

there are also other HDD clone software, both for purchase and free

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 05:09 PM »

Totally correct. 
I downloaded the program and when I went to install it said that it could only install if there was a Western Digital hard drive on your system.  I have 3 external hard drives attached to my laptop ... 1 Lacie, 1 Seagate and 1 Maxtor.  Pretty sure that the internal on the laptop is Hitachi.   

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:56 PM »

Ok ? for you tech's

I have a WDC drive in my Lenovo and a WD external so it sounds like I'm golden. Question is I've checked out some other cloning software and they required a totally clean hard drive to back up to, will this one clone to a clean partition so I don't have to dump everything on my current backup drive? I'd rather keep a simple data partition for incremental backups and a complete clone partition for the OS backup.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 08:34 PM »

sorry,

this is from the manual:

Nonempty destination hard disk disk 

If there are any partitions on the new disk, they must be deleted first.Choose between:
Delete partitions on the destination hard disk - all existing partitions will be deleted during cloning and all their data will be lost.
No, I do not want to delete partitions - no existing partition will be deleted, which will result in the halting of the cloning operation. You will only be able to cancel this operation and return to select another disk.
To continue, select the first choice and click Next.
 Note
Note that no real changes or data destruction will be performed at this moment! For now, the program will just create a cloning script. All changes will be implemented only when you click Proceed, after the script is formed.

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

normofthenorth

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 11:56 PM »

Acronis True Image is a fine piece of software, and the one I mostly use for backups to an external HDD. It is never available free, but is discounted from time to time, especially just before a new version comes out. (I got v.11 "Home" for US$10 online maybe a year ago.)

By searching through sites like http://www.raymond.cc and http://for-free-on-internet.com/ and maybe especially http://dottech.org , you should be able to track down completely free complete versions of cloning or image-backup software like EASEUS Partition Manager Professional and Paragon Drive Backup™ Professional. Maybe not the latest version, but one that should work well.

I think they all can make Boot CDs, which are vital for restoring after a miserable crash, but also make cloning a HDD much easier and safer (because neither disk involved in the clone is actually running Windows).

Norm in Toronto
normofthenorth

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 12:20 AM »

Dottech.org recommends a piece of freeware, Partition Wizard, discussed at http://dottech.org/freewaresr/8957 . And there's a slight update at http://dottech.org/freewaresr/9575 . It can clone a disk to another.

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change