GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 07:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerobe indoor light wind kite  (Read 3288 times)
kiteguy
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 14, 2009, 05:18 PM »

I sneaked in on the tail end of the new Aerobe offer.  That was good.

Fantastic service from Steve.  Got the kite today!

Assembled, looked it over, and was very satisfied with the build quality.  It even came with some good line.  The sail was very taut. 

Took it out in the very calm breezes (3mph) and gave it a test flight.  It was ok.  I did not like the glide.  It just rocked back and forth.  That may been due to pilot error.  Undecided  I taped a quarter to the nose, and that made me much happier.  I also moved the tow point closer to the nose.  Finally tired out, and went back inside.

I started disassembling the kite to put it into the bag.  Started prying the last wing rod out of the nose piece and BAM.   :'(  Not a good thing! 

Click thumbnail for a larger view.

I was not a happy camper!  Embarrassed   However, it was just the stitching that gave way.  I think I can resew it with stronger thread.  Think I will do the other side at the same time.

Tricky part is that the wing rods are installed almost permanently.  I am going to see if I can get it under my sewing machine without removing any hardware.  That will be a challenge.

Wish me luck.

Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:27 PM »

Mine showed up today too.

For the stress needed to assemble/disassemble it, you'd better be gentle where you bend, push,  and pull on it, as KiteGuy just showed us.

Now, to get out and see how it flies!  Wink

-- Oh yeah, Good Luck on the repair!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:41 PM by Dano » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:58 PM »

Ouch, the first assembly and dis-assembly was pretty rough. I went back to the instructions to see if I missed something. It gets easier on the second and subsequent assemblies as the stitching stretches a bit.

Kiteguy; Hopefully your machine will allow you to set the needle to one side so you can get right up against the rod, the leading edge fabric is pretty narrow, maybe a narrow or one sided foot? 

Good luck, I'll check mine next time it's out of the bag, catch any problem before a complete failure like you experienced. That nose looked pretty robust on inspection, I'm guessing yours may have hit the short side of the tolerance in production.

Thanks for pointing out a possible weak point.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:12 PM »

Just had mine out in the backyard - lots of fun already.

I had it set for indoor and did a bunch of up and overs circling
around. 

I'll be careful when I take it apart.

6 kite tom
fworley
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27 PM »

Mine's here ... and yeah ... its a bit of a struggle to (dis)assemble ... but from my 5 mins in the
garden at sunset in 0 mph ... I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Georgie will be well impressed.

Thanks Steve for making this happen.

-Frazer
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:52 PM »

So maybe we should sand down the LE's at the nose?
fworley
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 08:00 PM »

So maybe we should sand down the LE's at the nose?
Maybe ... its a Beetle type nose ... and that was a SOAB to put together the first time ... way back when. But it worn in fine.

Rather than push it ... I undid the tail knock which helped me align the nose without forcing anything too much.

-Frazer
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 08:15 PM »

Rather than push it ... I undid the tail knock which helped me align the nose without forcing anything too much.

-Frazer

Being smarter than the kite helps.  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
farfennoogen

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:21 PM »

with this kite you have to keep some tension on the line to keep the nose down a bit .. or it will rock up and down .. when it rocks you need to make tension on the line ... that will stabilize the kite in flight ..  Cool

I'm guessing you didn't un-tension the spine first ... if not thats probably y .. Embarrassed

Sorry to hear about the issue .. i tried mine with the spine loosened up and see if there is less tension in the nose and it disassembled fine ....this might be a trick to keeping that from happening ... maybe others can chime in on the matter ..

to the others happy flyin  Cool
fworley
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:46 PM »

Being smarter than the kite helps.  Cheesy
Its true, I am smarter than the average kite Booboo !

-Frazer
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 11:58 PM »

around. 

No offense intended my friend, .........but how many kites???  I think not six.....you may need to update the sig Kiss

Jim

PS: Remember ....duplicates count too! Cheesy

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
fworley
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 03:05 PM »

Well - we're at the beach - its nice here at Hilton Head Grin

The Aerobe is a winner. Its was prolly 8ish .. up it goes with the tail - stable as a rock - even at
low altitudes - which is where it looks best.

Prolly a bit too stable for Georgie .. who likes a SLK with a little wiggle and movement.

But she'll get *that* alright ... when I take the tail off.

I continue to be very impressed.

-Frazer
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 07:09 PM »

around. 

No offense intended my friend, .........but how many kites???  I think not six.....you may need to update the sig Kiss

Jim

PS: Remember ....duplicates count too! Cheesy
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Yeah, I didn’t last long on the 6 kite diet ! I tried it this summer, only used 6 kites all summer. It was OK, but I still don’t fly any better ! It’s over, though, I missed the rest.

The Aerobe looks pretty cool, except for the eyes… can they be removed ? Peeled off or something ? Maybe they’ll make a blank version down the road…

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography