GWTW Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
member support is greatly appreciated
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skills  (Read 651 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 09, 2019, 09:58 AM »

Consider myself a pretty solid 4 out of 10. At times 4.5 to 4.75. Been here for some time now. Figured getting to a level 5 would be the most difficult and it is. I think the 5 to 8 curve will be the most rewarding by far. Could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to have anymore fun. 9 and 10 are subjective. The goal, but assessing that rarified air if attained will be done by others not myself. No one in any sport performs at 9 or 10 on any given day.Not even Jerry Muculek or William Hill and those dudes are amazing!! I've struggled with my Widow Maker Pro in bumpy 15 to 20 mph winds. Kite hits the power zone and I haven't been able to control the speed well or stay very balanced.The fight or flight kicks in and I start going wild. Lots of fun but because of skills it's not something I like to do on it. Bang the hell out most of my other kites. WMP, Mongoose and AC SUL have been flown more tentatively.Couple days ago winds would be 0 to 3 and 30 seconds later 15/16. Really difficult stuff and stayed on the lower side. Mind Trick wasn't clicking well and when that happens I usually grab the Nighthawk. Figured what the hell and put up the WMP. For the first time I totally zoned on the Widow in winds like that. Don't quite know what's changed yet but but it was awesome. I've got in some great grooves with that kite but never in those difficult winds. It's easier for me to fly in 20 smooth than that stuff and pooped out after a couple hours. Super stoked and yesterday's winds were just as bumpy but lower. Didn't stay on the Widow long and put up the AC SUL. Still learning that kite but that same new found connection was there. Not as dramatic but a major unexpected change has happened. Only out for a couple hours and quit because my face was hurting. Not from grinning though. I'd had a root canal earlier in the day and the medicine wore off. Yeah I'm not the smartest flier out there but I am dedicated  Roll Eyes. Had to fly before I lost that new sensation. Level 5 is so close now I can taste it. Getting as excited as hell and that usually means I'll break something LOL.Today is a Mind Trick vented 20 mph day. Learned my lessons and I do have a spare spreader and LE for it. Girding my loins getting my head together for the forecasted "possible" 25/30 gusts. Not sure if flying in these winds on that kite will have changed or even what to expect if it has.Going to be a FREAKING BLAST finding out!!!

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
np
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 02:39 PM »

I tip my hat to you sir for flying in 15 to 20mph winds. As long as you are making progress and having fun, that's all that really matters. I would like to know what your various levels represent. Would a level 10 be doing a Jacobs Ladder in 15 to 20mph winds?
breezin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:38 AM »

Yesterdays winds were more bumpy than I thought they'd be. Highest I measured was 23 mph. 2 hours in that rough stuff I was gassed. At level  1 started trying to tricking before I could even fly. Got a lot of broken parts to show for it. Not the smartest approach but a helluva lot of fun.Now at a steady 4 damage is becoming rarer instead of the norm. Not a lot of tricks in the bag but Taz,Slots, Flick Flacks,some roll up stuff are starting to come at will and look 1/2 way decent. Comete, Cascade, Roto Fades, JL's are hit and miss.Still not very pretty when succeeding. Attaining level 5 isn't the number of tricks I can do. It's when seeing,feeling and understanding what the kite is doing becomes 2nd nature. It's hard maintaining control instead of reacting  when hit by a bump or gust not having attained that level of connection.Won't make anything easier just smoother.Even if you get get good enough to make something look easy the difficulty is always there. Remembering how hard it was to learn the 1/2 axle helps when trying something new.Doing 5 in a row bang bang and maintaining level entry and exit is not easy. Do that several times at least when flying. Doubt I've succeeded a dozen times. I think 5 is where discipline/purpose will become more important to me than flying wild having fun(maybe  Grin). Learning should start to come easier because muscle memory is becoming pretty solid. Knowing how to get out of a jam or avoiding hard crashes is just a move most times now.Not a panic reaction. Happens but not often. More of a cheap thrill and a chuckle.Not in 20+ though. That'll probably always be a OH &%#* thing.6 is when I can will myself more often than not into the zone instead of hoping it'll happen. 6 and 7 is when I'll start understanding what makes a good routine. I'll be able to hone tricks into a variety of GOOD routines for 1 to 25 mph winds. 8 is having the skills, polished routines and knowledge that I could attain perfection at any given moment. The confidence to not just fly but compete among master fliers and utterly fail. Have a good laugh and try again.  JL's,exit to a sharp turn, 1/2 axle, rixle back into a JL and repeat 1 time. Do a roll up and end by unrolling into a tip stand ending the routine.Spin on tip launching into the next one.Every move being perfect center window in 20 mph would be a 10.  At will JL's in 15 to 20 for me will be a level 5 success because the perfection needs a LOT of work. The coolest thing that keeps me motivated is even the best have epic failures. We can harness the wind for a bit, have a ton of fun and maybe even master our kites for a time. No one has or ever will master the wind in any wind sport. Eventually it kicks EVERYONE'S ass.Humbling yet absolutely hilarious at times.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
np

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 01:55 PM »

not having attained that level of connection.
OK, I think I grasp your numbered level achievement system. Some time back I made custom flight straps. I made one pair in particular that connected you to your kite like NO other flight strap have done for ME. I called them (ninja) split-finger straps. I have a few (new) ones left in my personal stash. If you will pm me your address I will send you a pair free of any charge, if you are interested. I would need only a description of the size of your hands/fingers. If you would like a pair, I would want them to fit you properly.  XL/Large/Medium/Small

Here is what they look like. I do use these straps below for my Standard kites, but not in 20mph winds. 
spence602
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 05:58 PM »

I will send you a pair free of any charge...

(\____/)
( ͡ ͡ ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡)
\╭☞ \╭☞

Spence
breezin

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 07:11 AM »

Thanks a bunch Norm. Way,way cool.When you turned me on to the Zephyr I got a pair of your single 2" wide straps. Got the wrong size but that's what I use on my 50# line sets. Zephyr and Hydra are the kites that helped me get to level 4 the most. After getting Bird Lovers Tekken SUL I flew it less and less so I moved it on for a AC SUL. If I lived where winds were consistently smooth I'd probably still have it. Got 3 sets of Peter Lynn straps made in Jamaica for my other sets. Little thicker than the Prism and Sky Dog stock straps with a metal ring.Got rid of my big thick padded straps because with a pair of light gloves these straps work a lot better in 25+ winds. Now I fly with straps around my wrist with my forefinger extended using it for the finer controls. 15 up it's usually it and my middle finger. Didn't take long and I found myself slipping my forefinger into the metal ring.Flew a set of split fingers once. Think they were Bensons but not sure. Really liked them.The kites I think would benefit the most right off are the Psycho and Nighthawk. Psycho Ninja? There's a good name for a kite LOL.

np

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 08:06 AM »

When you turned me on to the Zephyr I got a pair of your single 2" wide straps. Got the wrong size but that's what I use on my 50# line sets.

I think you mean 2-finger straps. I never made 2" straps.

If I lived where winds were consistently smooth I'd probably still have it.

If you lived anywhere near the beach, you would probably already be at level 8.
pm heading your way.
DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 09:43 AM »

Norms straps have a really nice feel to them! super comfy

Sine Metu!
np

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 10:06 AM »

Norms straps have a really nice feel to them! super comfy
Thanks, Dave
Have you ever tried the Split-Finger (Ninja) straps? They connect you to your kite like no other straps I have used. I didn't sell any of these to the kite stores. They should be fitted. Don't post too many nice comments, I might have to send you a pair.  Wink Cheesy
np

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 03:37 PM »

I will send you a pair free of any charge...

(\____/)
( ͡ ͡ ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡)
\╭☞ \╭☞

RAOK  Wink
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:29 PM by np » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: