GWTW Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
member support is greatly appreciated
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL and Standard trick kites  (Read 222 times)
aaron1cog
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: April 14, 2019, 04:28 PM »

I've been flying sport kites for a few years but I'm still a novice.  I'm looking for used SUL and Standard kites to learn how to do tricks.

Since the forum is the main place I've come for kite info over the last few years I figured I should ask for used kites before its gone.

I started with a Flying Wings Acrobatx and Prism Nexus.  I also have a couple stacks of Prism Microns (old and new) which I love to fly when there is plenty of wind.  I have a Prism 4D which will fly in light wind, but not great for working on tricks.

So I'm looking for kites that are that next level up and can give me the opportunity to uplevel my skills.

DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:50 AM »

where are you located at? might be worth finding some locals or a local club to try and hook up with someone.
After that then it becomes what you want to spend.  Used you never know what you can get. New you can look at skyburners line or check out benson kites

Sine Metu!
aaron1cog
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:51 PM »

I'm located in Portland, OR.

I've been looking at R-Sky, Level One, Benson, and SkyBurner for new.

I don't think I'm ready for Lam or Blue Moon kites yet.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:34 AM »

I have older model Nirvanas and found them harder to trick than what I've read by more capable pilots. I like my Skyburner Widow Maker a lot more. It tricks a lot better than the Nirvana for me. It does rotational and pitch tricks a lot easier. I also have a Benson Deep Space which does pitch tricks nicely. It's harder to do rotational tricks. The Blue Moon Exile is a nice option too except it's wind range seems more limited than the DS and the Widow Maker. Both have a decent wind range.

It's a shame that the forum is closing. The Swap Meet was great to find a kite that met your needs.

Bob D.
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 07:34 AM »

Don't sell yourself short on a Blue Moon or Lam. Started in 11/17 and by 5/18 had a Lam SUL and vented. Skyburner Widow Maker and Pro Dancer. Couldn't stay under the Pro Dancer under 3 mph and replaced it with a Blue Moon Mongoose. The Pro Dancer was the only new one. The Tekken SUL had been well flown and that could be why I took to that kite faster than anything else I've flown. Learning to fly on my own from videos/forums I've found that my 3/4 kites are invaluable in the learning curve. The speed and sensitivity hones my reactions and inputs. When 1st starting I had a Premier Addiction in my quiver that was tough and a pure blast to fly. Catch a setup, give a yank and it would do things way beyond my skills. Get to laughing so hard I'd have to quit flying at times.When flying the bigger Widow ng everything would be slower and easier to see/follow.Think the kites you've listed in their higher wind range have made you better than you may think. Flying a Micron on 100' lines and a 1.4 Snapshot in 20 mph really gave me the confidence to get a Mind Trick vented long before my skills could justify it.Been lusting after a Benson Superfly standard for a long time.Air One kites are ones I'd really like to experience too.Got my AC SUL new and it's my most recent. Pricey so with my skills still overly cautious with it. Outstanding feeling on the lines and it won't be long before I'll be bombing around fixing it and having a blast. Did order it with spare parts LOL.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:26 AM »

As someone who was into stunt kites and trick flying 15yrs ago and recently came back... your options are vast!  There are some very popular recommendations... Benson Deep Space and Superfly both have a huge fan base.  Both come in UL version, and you can customize them on the Benson website.  Tim is awesome, happy to communicate via email and his workmanship is the "Platinum Standard".  These kites do come up for sale now and then from previous owners, highly recommend both.

Another option, the Sixth Sense.  This kite can be found on the KARELOH.com site, and it's part of the Open Source Kite Plan initiative (OSKP).  If you check out some of the videos on this kite, you will see that they are very capable AND very popular.  One catch... you need someone to build one for you.  There are a couple of folks who are willing to do it, typically located in Europe.  I have 3 of them, each one is frame differently.  I liked the fact I could get the sail/bridle made and then I got to frame it as I wanted.  The "Pro" version is easily one of my top 5 kites.

Another option if you wanted to go the custom route would be he End of Line.  Another one you would have the sail made and frame it yourself.   Smaller than the SS, it is another cool option that is very capable.

Final thought.  Completely agree with trying to find local flyers and try stuff out.  You won't be able to pick up any kite right now and instantly pull off advanced tricks, and over time you find you will connect with a kite. The beauty of the kiting community is that people typically will sell/trade kites and I have never had anyone deny me a chance to try their kite.

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: