GWTW Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
member support is greatly appreciated
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FORUM CLOSING UPDATE #1  (Read 1037 times)
Steven Hall
Administrator
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 15, 2019, 01:08 PM »

I'm gonna kick the can down the road (for 1 month) to allow current swap meet sales to play out.
I'm also exploring an interesting option that has presented itself that might allow the forum to continue (without me) ... no promises though.
BTW ... non-members (aka guests) can now "see" the swap meet and no new member registrations are being accepted at this time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:49 PM by Steven Hall » Logged

Forum Admin
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 05:24 AM »

Thanks a million for all your dedication over the years, Steven.  Cool

Sincerely hope all this wealth of knowledge won't be lost, for the like of this will never be again!

PS: Strangely enough the discussion about the closing is happening on FB  and not here ... ?  Embarrassed

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
HiNator86
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:57 AM »

Thank You Steve for all the work you have done. It will be a sad day in the kiting world. I know I'm only new to it, but I gained a lot of knowledge from the people on here. Best of luck to you!

Nator

The Bigger the Better!!
Force 10
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL North Shore Radical 99”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Crystal Kite Chainlink 93"
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Steve Hall
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 06:06 AM »

"Strangely enough the discussion about the closing is happening on FB  and not here"

Probably a good thing I can't see that.

Steve ...
former owner GWTW Kites
former kite flyer
currently the "slightly impaired" owner of the GWTW Kite Forum
goestoeleven

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 07:09 AM »

Pretty sure no one who visits regularly wants this to close.  It's been a great site for the community. I'm certain I would not be as deep into this hobby if this forum had not been here, even though I did not find it until maybe 2010 or so.  My wallet might be fatter without the forum, but my collection would certainly be leaner.  I hope you can find a path to keeping it going without you having any of the burdens of upkeep - financial and otherwise.  What you have created is special, and I hope it can endure.  Thank you. 
Oldgoat
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:53 AM »

What goestoeleven said +1
 Smiley
Big Bri pork pie

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05 AM »

Cant tell ya what this Forum ment to many Steve.I wouldnt own a Blue Moon maybe,or Sky Burner.Even had the pleasure of many kites and the people .Information and this was and still is a Gold Mine of Information,Its a Hub.I still have your Rev Bag .Thats still going well pal.Stay well Steve and thanks,Respect Sir.BB
KiteLife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 11:11 AM »

Thanks for all the time and love put in Steve, I hope to see the GWTW forum remain as at least an archive for future fliers. 🙏🏻✌️

coop
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 01:35 PM »

A sad day indeed. Alot of info will be lost. Hopefully something will work out.

Steve, Ive loved your forum, I visit every day. I wish you the best.
Big Bri pork pie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43 PM »

Some clever folks fly kites.Cant they help design a way forward with you Steve.I do hope so.I see your considering some way.
  I would not have flown and own a Lee Sedgewick if it wasnt for this site Sad.Its Part of who we are.Just like the kites.I Would never had met your cross town competitor. The Brush thread needs saving.....A Place that brings Joy.We Cant let it become an unmarked grave and forgotten.

BB-OFF THE PORK PIES THIS WEEK. Sad
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+88)

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05 PM »

I'd probably only have 3 kites if it weren't for this forum, and way less kite knowledge. 

Steve, thanks for all the hard work you've put in over the years.  I hope the forum is able to survive in some form.  I'm willing to help out if this is in the works somehow.

The 'archives' alone are worth preserving, for all the potential future kite hoarders out there.  Wink

Thanks.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 04:35 AM »

I'd be all for paying a membership or having a role in keeping the forum going. It's been invaluable for me. I visit every day to see what's happening.

I started out with a Prism Ion in '97 and learned a lot about other kites and don't regret the Skyburner Widow Maker, Blue Moon Exile, and L'Atelier xt.rs I got because of what I've learned through the forum. I wish there was a way to keep it going.

I owe Steve a debt of gratitude for everything he's done for the kiting community. Thanks, Steve! You've had a huge impact.

Bob

Bob D.
oldflyer

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 08:12 AM »

Thanks for everything Steve. I do hope the forum can continue. I love it  Smiley
Brian O
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 01:21 PM »

While I haven't posted here in quite some time, there was a period of time when this was my favorite place on the internet.  One could come here for kite advice, life advice, to laugh, to argue, whatever... you name it and GWTW had it.  I don't fly as much as I use to and spend far more power kiting than cross-chest flailing (like a nut... sometimes) but this place will always hold a special place in my heart and in my memory.  Take care, Steve and all.  Thanks for the memories.

O, before this place fades into the abyss, what's the deal with those prism windmills and Level One center Ts?  Are green kites really bad luck and black tipped kites faster??  And what was the deal with that Dodd guy?  Are him and Weldon still best buddies?

OK, gotta go.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:08 PM by Brian O » Logged
Michel
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 03:37 PM »

Very sad news,  Sad

Thank you Steve for everything you did during 18 years for the kite community with your shop and the forum.

Thanks also to all moderators. They did a very good job too.

We will miss you all and the GWTW forum.

Best wishes from France.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: