GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 03:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DeepSpace UL - first flight video  (Read 2491 times)
benjai
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 15, 2009, 05:37 AM »

After many conversations with Tim Benson about the DeepSpace UL which was rumoured to be nearing release, and after crossing his palm with silver, my shiny new DSUL arrived a few weeks ago. Of course, the weather immediately turned such that I really needed a DS Vent (which doesn't exist). Just this past weekend, I finally found an hour in the evening when the wind dropped and I enjoyed a blissful session in the setting sun discovering just what this kite is all about. I thought I'd share this with you all in the form of a video, which I hope captures the mood and represents an enjoyable and relaxing way to spend a few moments.

Enjoy.

DeepSpace UL - first flight
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:21 AM by benjai » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:56 AM »

Thanks for the video Ben. Doesn't look like you had much wind to work with.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:42 AM »

awesome kite, awesome video.
I love how the kite does those flat axels that go ALL THE WAY around  Smiley sweet stuff.
keep 'em comming.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
benjai

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:33 AM »

Thanks for the comments. Just for interest, I'd guess the wind was around 2mph which made all the floaty stuff nice and slow... I really like the way this kite does slots and multi-slots. It's a shame it's now howling a gale and raining outside  :'(

If anyone is interested, I've also done a review of the kite that is posted in a few places including Kite Clique
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:41 AM »

Very cool. I absolutely love my DSUL. It is the first out of the bag these days. But it will have some competition soon, when my Talon UL arrives. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
jaydub

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 12:42 PM »

Very cool. I absolutely love my DSUL. It is the first out of the bag these days. But it will have some competition soon, when my Talon UL arrives. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

Will be more than interested in your comments between the two.  The Talon and DS ULs are sat at #1 and #2 on my most wanted list at the moment.   Undecided
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:46 PM »

It's been just about exactly three years since I got my DSUL Prototype. Sounds like the final product is just what I was expecting. That old proto had the P90/3PT frame but a standard weight sail. I't great, but the additional grams removed on the production version should make all the difference.

Thanks for the excellent video & writeup!

Allen, AKA kitehead
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:16 AM »

i love the tone of your videos. they are to me what kiting is all about, relaxing. some of my favorites. i only wish you'd make them all available for download.

thanks benjai

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 02:08 PM »

*fidelo*  just grab it out of your internet cache, it's a 33 meg MP4 file. Get VLC Media Player to play it.

Dump your cache, watch the video, open your cache, pull it out, rename it so you remember it. You can also just sort your cache by "Last Accessed" to bring it to the top. VLC will view most file types including .flv's as used on You Tube and many other sites. Get one of the free converters to change the format to anything that suits you.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
UPNET

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 02:40 PM »

Great Video. I enjoyed it...especially since its raining out...now.

Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
benjai

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:08 PM »

Thanks again for the nice comments. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it...

@ fidelio - since you were so nice, I've made all the videos on Vimeo downloadable. Vimeo doesn't now keep the original uploaded file, only their re-encoded (smaller) one, however, the original source file is available for download for one week from the time of upload. So, should you wish to, you can download "DSUL first flight" in all its HD glory - be warned though, it's a 231Mb .mov file...
fidelio

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 04:15 PM »

woohoo awesome! thanks benjai!  Kiss

Fdeli
fidelio

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 04:23 PM »

btw - who's the music in this one? sounds like boards of canada or (early) air.

Fdeli
jaydub

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18 PM »

Nice one, Ben.  Saved to disk so that it can be viewed in all its glory.  Cool
benjai

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 12:43 AM »

btw - who's the music in this one? sounds like boards of canada or (early) air.

It's "When it falls" by Zero 7, from the album of the same name. There are some nice mellow grooves on there, but most of the tracks have vocals which I think doesn't work so well as a backing track for a movie (at least one with that kind of mellow ambient vibe).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography