GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: problems with vista  (Read 2077 times)
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: September 15, 2009, 07:41 AM »

my boss just got a computer with vista,,  she is 70yo and a new computer user. She likes to play the game Mad Caps.. for some reason after the last vista update the game will no longer play..  i have uninstalled and reinstalled..  the game loads up as if to play then the resolution changes and it shuts off..  any suggestions?

Thanks, debbie

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:12 AM »

my boss just got a computer with vista,,  she is 70yo and a new computer user. She likes to play the game Mad Caps.. for some reason after the last vista update the game will no longer play..  i have uninstalled and reinstalled..  the game loads up as if to play then the resolution changes and it shuts off..  any suggestions?

Thanks, debbie

Where did the game come from?  Shrink wrap or download?  Paid or free?  I can think of two things that would be causing what you are seeing.

1) If the software was from one of the many free games websites, Vista/Defender/Microsoft's Malicious Software Utility could be flagging the application as a threat and killing it every time you launch it.

2) A video driver upgrade was automatically installed and it is not compatibile with the gaming software.  If you were not having any problems with the video before, you should be able to rollback the video driver driver.  Otherwise, you might have to obtain a newer version of Mad Caps.

If you need realtime help, just PM me a phone number, if you think it would be more expedient than trading message  Wink

ATB,
Sam
kiteking

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:31 AM »

a quick fix to get her playing the game is to restore the computer to an earlier date (before the update)

no saved information will be lost, just goes back to the earlier registry..

To accomplish this:

go <start><all programs><accessories><system tools><system restore>

Check what the recommend restore report says, is is most likely the game you reinstalled

select "choose a different restore point" then click "next"

look for the "install:windows update" that caused the problem (the date before the problem)

you may need to check the box "show restore points older than 5 days"

highlight the date and click "next" then click "finish" a warning will appear click "OK"

the computer will do its thing,  if successful then try the game, it failed you may try a earlier date

hope this helps, if so send a donation to "pumpupmybankaccountwithlotsofmoney@needmoney.com"

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:09 PM »

Not sure if Vista has the feature, if so try to run it in a backwards compatibility mode, I see the game is written for Win 98SE, ME, XP & 2K, Vista is not listed.

http://www.mumbojumbo.com/games/Mad_Caps

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
oyehut1955

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:26 PM »

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help.. you are right it isnt compatible with VISTA..  i am sure glad my computer doesn't have that piece of crap windows.. i have never seen so many pop ups in my life!

Sam that was awfully nice of you to offer to help me over the phone...

indigo_wolf

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:00 PM »

Sam that was awfully nice of you to offer to help me over the phone...

You're welcome.... carry-over from the day job..... strange occupational hazard.   Huh

ATB,
Sam
oyehut1955

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:34 PM »

well we finally got everything straightened out..  we had to force it to run in the XP mode.  We are still having terrible problems with little pop ups tho..  they are from the computer itself not from the internet.. sometimes as many as 15 at a time one right after the other... anybody have this problem with Vista?

Adicakes
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:26 PM »

Sounds typical of a virus, to me.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:18 PM »

A bit of detail on the popups would help. Are these just system popup notifications like "you are now connected to *network name" or "a cable is unplugged". Or installed software notifications like from your virus progam "you haven't performed a full system scan in 2,000 days" or update notifications like "there is a java update available" ?

Or are they like advertisements or link to sites?

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
jeffersz

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40 AM »

Systems from many of the ďbigĒ manufacturers can come pre-installed with partner software, which often bombards the user with popup-like messages about purchasing, scanning, updating and so on. Not only is this annoying, but these programs are almost always unnecessary and greatly deteriorate the machines performance. All new systems here at work get a fresh load of Windows for this very reason.

I also get frequent complaints about pop-ups in Vista and it turns out to be the user account control settings of the OS. I have seen both Vista and 7 deliver these messages more aggressively when running programs configured for compatibility mode in the preferences dialogue. These normally occur at program startup however, and Iíve not seen them come in large batches like youíre describing.

You shouldn't be getting bombarded with pop-ups from the OS, but without knowing more Iím really just speculating as to what might be happening in your case.

-Jeff
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 11:49 AM »

To get rid of those unneeded programs, if that is in fact part of your problem I've heard recommended a little program called PC DeCrapifier ... really  Wink

I've not used it myself, so I'm just passing it along.

It would be nice if you could purchase PC's without all of that, but the price would go up significantly. I did buy a notebook sized laptop once that had nothing but Windows XP on it, it was soooo sweet, of course it was for the kid to carry to school and soon had enough messengers and myspace use on it that it was slowed to a crawl anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document