GWTW Forum
May 19, 2019, 06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th
to contact us email: kitekid@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One more "next kite purchase" thread  (Read 368 times)
Ashbridge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 08, 2019, 09:10 PM »

I wanted to take the opportunity to ask the perennial question before the forum closes.

I started on a Zephyr originally, but doors didn't truly start opening up for me until the last couple of summers on a Benson DS std and ul.  They are my go-tos.

I have lots of affection for the DS, so naturally Iím curious about its predecessor the Gemini.

By the same token, the Superfly holds lots of appeal, but from videos Iíve watched I fear it may be too fast/refined for my present skill level.

The third candidate is a Lam Hoac kite, probably the AC.

I can only afford to buy ONE right now.  Smiley 
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:43 PM »

When you can't fly the kites to decide...

Buy the one that is prettiest to you.  Smiley

hawkerhunter
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:21 AM »

Cant comment on the Lam Hoac kite but the second generation upgraded Gem is a good kite and tricks well. You have only to see it in action on Tim Bensons "Trick Or Treat" DVD to see its potential. I dont own a Superfly but a flying colleague does. He didnt take to the Superfly and is an accomplished flyer. He ended up swapping the bridal over to a reverse Turbo and found the kite better. I think some have the RT fitted now as standard so its just somnething to be aware of if your looking at the SF.
jaydub
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:33 AM »

Turtle based tricks are more difficult on the Gemini because of the trick line.  The DS is happier doing turtle based tricks, but still needs to be pushed there, it naturally doesn't sit quite deep enough and wants to come out of the turtle, so any turtle based tricks have to be timed correctly *which you have probably found).  The Superfly is very turtle happy, possibly too much so as it needs to be forced out of the turtle, but then there's a lot of other modern kites that are not dissimilar.

In terms of the Superfly, Tim B retrofitted the RT bridle onto the SF std not long after the SF UL came out.  It takes some of the directness out of the kite, but makes the timing of the tricks a lot less critical.

If you are going to stick with Bensons, I would go with the Superfly rather than the Gem.  Much as I like the Gem, I think the SF opens up possibilities, whereas the Gem will be more restrictive.
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 06:40 AM »

At about a 2 skill set a Zephyr and ITW Hydra became my most flown kites. Had others but locked into those 2 really well. Especially the Hydra. Then I got a Lam Tekken sul from Birdlover.Took to it faster than any kite I've flown. Pretty soon the Zephyr was hardly flown at all. Had gotten a Lam Mind Trick vented before that but it's been a difficult kite for me to learn. If I could only have one kite though it would be the Mind Trick. Wind range is incredible. Got to work for anything that's not turtle based but when I'm on kite makes me look better than I am. When I'm off I look like a idiot. Live in a land o gusties and that was a real concern when looking for another sul to fly a little lower. Several months quit procrastinating called Lam and got a AC sul.1 to 10 range on the updated tweaks and can handle 11/12 gusts heading for the edge. Not very good on shorter lines. At the very bottom of  it's range kite on 75' x 50# can get a little floaty on me.On 120' x 50# not a issue unless real close to the ground. Not really in a groove with it yet. Kind of intimidated by the 2pt frame and this time of year the wind calls for something else most days. Taz and Slot are easiest for me to do on the AC.Don't know if differently framed ACs fly similar to the sul. Because of my skill sets and the cost really thought hard about the Cesium Continental.Decided to grow into the AC.I'm a cheapskate and that's a lot of money for a kite.  Biggest problem I've had by far with Lams kites is I want another.My Hydra is really beat up and will soon be a project kite. Looked at everything I could find to replace it and the Superfly is the one that makes sense. Been saving for a while and real close. Just have to resist some of the kites popping up here.I like fast kites though. They forced me to learn quicker and the rush of near disasters is addicting. Psycho is the most pure fun kite I have.Compared to that a Superfly is probably fairly slow.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: