Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:17:57 AM
Subject: WOW Announcements
Good September 15th, team! Good gosh, where's this year going? September 15th already! At risk of repeating info you already know and/or repeating news the Region 3 Director, Will Smoot, sent out not long ago, here are a few notes for you:
Expect input for Kiting Magazine to be due around the middle of October. If you have something to submit or festival notes that we can include in our club input, please start getting them ready!
We're shooting to have the next newsletter out by Halloween. If you have an item you've written or if you'd care to write something, please get it into one of the officers or to Elizabeth Ames by, let's say, October 15th.
The newsletter will have this year's election info. The annual club election will be coming up in November, place to be determined. We've traditionally done it at Lake Fairfax Park, but recently we've been getting crowded off our usual field there so we're looking at optional venues. More to come on that.
Upcoming Sep/Oct events:
- If you noted the Edinburg Ole' Time Festival on the calendar for the 18th-20th, disregard; it's a holdover from last year's calendar. We're not doing that event anymore. I'll correct the calendar tonight.
- You've (hopefully) been seeing the announcements about the Richmond Washington Regional Sport Kite Competition (RWSKC). That will be this Saturday (19th) at Taylor Park in Ashland, VA . http://www.richmondairforce.com/RWRSKC/index.htm
- Also on Saturday the 19th is the Coyner Springs Kite Festival in Waynesboro, VA.
- Then next week is our regional biggie: Sunfest in Ocean City, MD! Running from Thursday (24th) through Sunday (27th), as far as I know, this festival is matched lengthwise on the east coast only by Wildwood. Should be a significant show of large inflatables there this year. http://www.kiteloft.com/article,3,4,30th-Annual-Sunfest-Kite-Festival.htm
- At this time the Fun Fly at Cambridge, MD on October 11th is still on, as far as I know.
- Then the weekend of October 17th and 18th is the Outer Banks Stunt Kite Competition at the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kill Devil Hills, NC. http://www.easternleague.net/Calendar.html
- The Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard Grape Stomp in Dickerson, MD, is also on the 17th and 18th of October. Barbara is the POC (refer to the Calendar Page). It should be a fun event and we need volunteers to come out and participate! Did I mention the club needs volunteers to participate? Come on out and enjoy the October weather!
Farther out, we're looking to hold another indoor fun fly sometime before the end of the year, and we're again projecting more indoor practice/fun sessions in the months prior to the Air & Space Museum Indoor Fly in March.
I also want to hold at least one workshop over the fall/winter months, if not a full kite/banner/accessory building workshop, then at least a kite repair workshop sometime before the MKS workshop in February.
It has been suggested that we hold a fully sanctioned indoor competition event. WOW could certainly sponsor such an event and modest registration fees would hopefully cover the facility usage and sanctioning fees, but coordinating such an event would also require some volunteer manpower. The event would need safety monitors (2), judges (3?), and a few operations personnel (2-4) for set-up, sound, registration, etc. If you'd be interesting in taking point on coordinating such an event or in supporting the event in one of the other areas, please let me know. A primary coordinator is ideal, yes, but this can and should be a team effort. I can coordinate getting the church space we usually fly in, and I can do ops, sound, and/or safety, but probably not judging (not so sure I'm qualified and, to boot, I've never done it before). I think the long poles in the tent here are getting judges and coordinating the specific date and times with the church. This event is do-able, but we would need a primary coordinator and the time to sign up event staff and arrange it all. Please let me know if you'd like to help.
Hope to see you in the sky real soon! Fair Winds and Following Seas!