GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 11:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying at Hilton Head Island, SC ?  (Read 1151 times)
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:58 AM »

Whats the flying like at Hilton Head Island, SC ?

Think thats where we're headed now on hols.

Interested to hear from anybody who's flown there.

Thanks,

-Frazer
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:51 AM »

I've heard, a couple of years ago, kites weren't allowed on the beach until after 5pm. Not sure if that's the whole beach or just a given area or even if it's still the case.

fworley
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:05 AM »

I've heard, a couple of years ago, kites weren't allowed on the beach until after 5pm. Not sure if that's the whole beach or just a given area or even if it's still the case.
Just saw that:

"Kites not under manual control
Stunt kites 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. April 1 through September 30"

... so my dual line fly is restricted the first few days ... but we'll be there at the 30th mostly.

No Ghost Pyro though  Sad

-Frazer
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:15 PM »

"Kites not under manual control...
No Ghost Pyro though  Sad

Maybe you just need to keep a hand on the line, Frazer.  Wink

Photo by GKPI

Bob
gwarren
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:49 AM »

I feel for you Frazer, to go from Nag's Head to Hilton Head- Tails it is, You LOOSE!  I only went to Hilton Head before I got into kites, but I sure can't picture any decent places to fly slk's or stunts.  There will be plenty of places to shop and eat though!  Cheesy Cry

glen
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:52 PM by gwarren » Logged
superbird
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:17 AM »

flew there 2yrs ago despite the restrictions.  nice big, open beaches, at least where i was on the north side near port royal.  winds are better than the surf, had a couple days of steady 5mph.  i think they'll only enforce if someone complains, so i made sure my flying was away from the masses.

actually got more flying in there than my recent trip to OBX - kitesurfers where in heaven though!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:19 AM by superbird » Logged
fworley
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:39 PM »

Well ... we've been here more than a week now and I can report than Hilton Head is a
great place to fly and visit. Teri found us a nice apartment for a good price just a short
walk to the beach. We rented bikes which allowed me to find the quieter spots on the
beach ... and the light foot / bike traffic has been no issue at all ... none of usual old
farts waddling under the kite / into the lines or any of that nonsense.

There is plenty enough to do in town ... nice cafes, bakeries restaurants and the like and
it has a very pleasant / laid back vibe.

We'll be coming again ... could become a regular hangout.

-Frazer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document