GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 10:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can someone please explain the mechanics of a stall to me?  (Read 2776 times)
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 20, 2009, 05:32 PM »

I mean what hand movements are required moreso than the actual aerodynamics of it. I have tried and tried but I cannot get either of my kites to stall.

I start with slight slack on the upper line and then snap my lower wrist, then give instant slack to the lines. Then my kite usually twists up and falls rather ungracefully to the ground.

I have watched the video's on how to do the stall, but dangit if I can figure it out.

Cheers,
Sean
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 05:50 PM »

0 - fly across
1 - pop the top while giving a wee bit of slack (I'd call it more of a lack of tension) to the bottom
2 - immediately pop the bottom (a bit harder than you did the top).  This second input knocks the wind out of the sail in order to stop the kite.
3 - move forward to hold the stall.

1,2 are  done rapid-fire, pa-pow, so fast it should feel like a single move.  The speed is more important - you don't have to hammer on the kite.  It doesn't take a hard pull/pop to stall.

The best thing is to go and watch someone do it or have them show you how if you can.   If not, then the Prism and Dodd videos cover these moves and others - I found them helpful.

Good Luck!

6 kite tom
SMG

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:57 PM »

well that makes more sense. I was not really popping the top hand but just kind of giving it slack.

I will try that tomorrow, hopefully.

Cheers,
Sean
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:28 PM »

I have entirely too much time on my hands:

http://www.sportkiteflyer.com/Videos/Randyg_Snap_Stall_Short.wmv

I think of a Snap Stall as a combo turn with slack. Good luck with it.

SMG

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:49 PM »

well that helps as well. Awesome.

Thanks,
Sean
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 09:09 PM »

nah your just a good guy randy thanx for all that you do ko

have fun kurt
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:10 AM »

A very underrated skill!

A good way to slow down the process when you first start to learn...

Fly across the window then make an upward turn.  As the kite turns upwards, step forward (and if necessary, keep stepping forward).  The kite will stall, pointing upwards.  Step back to get the kite moving again.  The turn is easier to stall if you do a push turn rather than a pull turn.  In other words, make the kite turn upwards by pushing your lower hand forwards, rather than pulling the upper hand towards you.

Practice this from each direction until you can stall it where and when you want to.  This ISN'T a snap stall, it is just a stall.  But the ability to stall with good control is a major part of learning the snap stall.

Snap stalls are done pretty much the same way, but faster.  Also, the snap stall uses a combination of pull turn (pop) with the upper hand, AND push with the lower hand in quick succession.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 12:28 AM »

setting the bridle heavier (nose back) helps with stalls too
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 01:44 AM »

and the higher the wind, the faster you'll need to be moving forward.

so say for example your kite will stall and stay in one place, to use diving parlance, neutrally buoyant, in 4mph wind and the wind is blowing at 10mph, then you need to be moving forward at 6mph to stall the kite.

so in other words, move quickly.

Fdeli
streamhawk
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:07 AM »

Randy, you having too much extra time is usually a good thing for many of us!

Bill
SMG

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 07:05 PM »

well, thanks to all who responded here, I got about 4 good solid snap stalls today in 10mph winds. Had some others which were not so solid, but I am getting the hang of it.

Cheers,
Sean
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:55 PM »

congratulations! great to hear of your success.

the snap stall leads to one of my all time favorite tricks, the side slide. still love 'em, still do 'em.

Fdeli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum