GWTW Forum
September 15, 2014, 02:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stable Kite?  (Read 4768 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: September 20, 2009, 06:14 PM »

I am looking for an "eye catching" yet "stable" kite that can be flown at the beach with no attention like a marker kite on where you are sitting. Looking for something say under 6' feet in length that can fly on 50# lines in 3-12 mph winds. Other than of course a delta what would you recommend? Will the Marconi from G-Kites meet this criteria? What's your choice?

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:20 PM »

Not sure if this would work for you, but have you checked out bowls?

I considered getting one once for the same purpose that you mention.  You can see the larger ones from quite a distance on the beach, but they are near the ground (not in the air).

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:59 PM »

What's wrong with a delta? You can always individualize any delta with some custom tails to announce your location. Other than that, a big Rok with good bow will be very stable, particularly with some ornate tail.

Dave owns this monster, and with the tails it is stunning.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:42 PM »

If you don't mind settling for the top half of that wind range, the new Prism "Flip Kite" is very eye-catching (though small). Check it out on this site. It keeps rotating, and pulses the line like a fighting fish!

Norm in Toronto
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:15 PM »

Prism Stowaway Parafoil

should these little guys hit the ground, they can get back up on their own. i really like mine. steve has 'em. they're cheap. the only thing is they're not very big but with the tail i'd imagine you could still see it from a distance.

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

Fdeli
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:43 AM »

Dang John...you got some choices......
you want soemthing mass produced? craftsman?
how much you looking to spend?
what sorts of designs do you like???
would you be interested in something that could be manuverable alone and then very stable with a tail (i.e. Aerobe)

this question is the same as that newbie is looking for advice on a dual line......

soft kite? framed kite?

rob

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:43 AM »

Thief - fair enough - I own a Dan Leigh Delta and the Funky Alien from Normand Girard (needs alot of attention but an INCREDIBLE design). Looking for a creative design type kite which is stable and needs very little attention like a Delta - a fly and stick in the sky type kite. Size 6' or so that can work with 50# test line say 100' in the air. Aerobe looks nice but I flew the Skate - I know it glides better - I been thinking of the Skate by Focus as a dual purpose type kite buy but I would probably use it over sand? May not work very well on the take-offs? The Marconi by G-Kites looks KOOL but is it stable? Prism's EO's are too unstable to leave unattended (tried them already) - they bounce up & down too much. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 10:50 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:23 PM »

May not work very well on the take-offs? The Marconi by G-Kites looks KOOL but is it stable?

The Marconi is active.  I tried for about 15-20 minutes at Newport to get it stable enough to stake out, but alas no.

Within its wind range the Xelons are stable fliers.  I own the Xelon I (lead kite). The others  are Xelon II and Xelon IIIs.

1 two-piece spar and some velcro is the extent of the assembly process.  As indicated by the picture, you can always stack.
Looks nice in the sky.

ATB,
Sam
thief

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 01:43 PM »

Thief - fair enough - I own a Dan Leigh Delta and the Funky Alien from Normand Girard (needs alot of attention but an INCREDIBLE design). Looking for a creative design type kite which is stable and needs very little attention like a Delta - a fly and stick in the sky type kite. Size 6' or so that can work with 50# test line say 100' in the air. Aerobe looks nice but I flew the Skate - I know it glides better - I been thinking of the Skate by Focus as a dual purpose type kite buy but I would probably use it over sand? May not work very well on the take-offs? The Marconi by G-Kites looks KOOL but is it stable? Prism's EO's are too unstable to leave unattended (tried them already) - they bounce up & down too much. Any other ideas?

lets see....you have a couple of nice kites already.....

i would shoot for a Rok....most likely a custom one/craftsman one.....something that is nice to your eye....simple to fly...flys in LOTS of different wind conditions and is easily tunable....

a Kevin Shannon Roller would work VERY well too....

I have a Skate...love it...i will not bother bringing it outdoors because i know it will not glide as well if there is any wind as it glides indoors....that is why i love the 61/49 for sul outdoors ~4mph and i did order an aerobe for that same type of winds....i am tempted by a Manta for outdoors...and also a Morpho Grande from Windfire designs (both big UUL deltas)......

if you want a nice big cellular i would push you into an Ichiban.....not just because i am trying to get Ken money but they are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another idea that looks great....and is easy to work with...takes all sorts of winds...relaunches as needed....no assembly required is:
an arch......
pop down one end of the line and then walk across the wind and pop the other end into the ground.....thats it....
i like it because an arch also defines your flying space VERY well...i will fly sport kites then downwind of it....and no one can approach from the up wind side.....

just a few more ideas from the top of my head......i can assure you there will be more....

thief

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 01:48 PM »

Alas, this Saturday I found a decided weakness in the design of the nose on my GKPI Marconi.  Two dacron sections joined by a weaker nylon panel at the nose, guess where the fabric lets go? Sigh.... time for some TLC.
I have seen Sam's G-kite Marconi and there were some things about it that just did not look correct.....

indigo_wolf

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 01:53 PM »

and also a Morpho Grande from Windfire designs (both big UUL deltas)......

Did they ever post a price for this critter or are the sideline gigs paying enough that this isn't an issue?    Huh  Roll Eyes

14 foot wingspan on the largest one and redlines the whimsy meter

ATB,
Sam
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 11:32 AM »

I'm not convinced that the Skate glides better than the Aerobe. I owned them both for a week or two, and did a few "A-B switches" outdoors in next-to-no wind. The Skate is a bit more buoyant so it glides a bit slower, but the Aerobe is much stiffer, so when you yank on the line (e.g., pulling it overhead), it takes off and keeps going.

The Aerobe is also much easier/happier to turn and loop and stuff -- the kinds of moves you can see on horvath.ch videos of the Urban Ninja etc. I couldn't get my Skate to do that looping move at all -- maybe others can, of course.

I also like the Aerobe's tuning and tail options more than the Skate's variable weight system (though the Skate's nose pocket is beautifully designed and works perfectly).

Finally, the Aerobe's pronounced spine bow/bend (the Skate has none) means it will "dead launch", even if it's on it's belly with the nose away -- which happens with all these gliders, esp. early in the learning curve.

Norm in Toronto
Fore Check
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:07 PM »

Another suggestion would be the 6' Totemo Genki from Gomberg.  Genki's are super stable and excellent fliers, and this particular kite also meets your 50# flying line need.   

The only issue I see with the Rok or the Roller recommendations is that, while they meet all of the other riteria asked for, a 6' Rok should be flown on about 150# line, not 50.  A Shannon Roller (according to the sales page) needs 100-150#.  Other than that - excellent choices.

If you're open to getting some stronger flying line, another recommendation that I will add a Fled (availble through G-Kites or Gomberg or Brooxes.com)  Fleds will fly gracefully and worry free in that 3-13 mph range (and I'm being honest with that 3).  Just staple it to the sky and go take a nap.

indigo_wolf

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:29 PM »

The only issue I see with the Rok or the Roller recommendations is that, while they meet all of the other riteria asked for, a 6' Rok should be flown on about 150# line, not 50.  A Shannon Roller (according to the sales page) needs 100-150#.  Other than that - excellent choices.

The Shannon Roller (GKPI) I have tends to wander a lot, regardless of lots of stern conversations and tweaking.  While this is an interesting way to meet other kite flyers, there are probably better ways. A couple of months ago, it took down a much larger delta.  Luckily it was owned by the club president and he has a sense of humour (or at least patience for the hapless).   Despite its sizes, the amount of pull this kite generates also stumps me (ie with #100-200 line, wear gloves).

ATB,
Sam
Fore Check
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 02:34 AM »

That's interesting Sam - I guess I haven't flown a Shannon roller (or "Colorado" or "hex" style) and assumed it flew as well as a "Pearson" style.  Good to know and thanks for that... 

Now I'm curious to get my hands on one and see if there's a way to tweak it.  Just looking at the photo on Gomberg's page, the first thing that comes to mind as a possible stabilizing "tweak" would be to add two bow lines - one on each of the diagonal spars that run from the nose of the kite to the bottom corners of the main/upper sail.  These would in effect pull the bottom corners of the main sail to the back, spilling some more air from those wing tips and increasing the dihedral/stabilizing effect.  May need to increase the length of the tension lines running from those tips to the lower sail.  Maybe not on that one, leaving the lines the same and pulling those corners back would also increase the dihedral on the lower sail.  That's just what floats off the top of my head looking at the following flight pic from Gomberg's site...

On the other hand, it might just be a matter of playing with the angle of attack...

BTW - I can totally identify with your "interesting way to meet other kite flyers" -  Huh Cheesy  Happens to all of us at one time or another.   Wink
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:37 AM by Fore Check » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document