GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horvath Hybrid Synergetic Kite  (Read 7215 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: September 22, 2009, 08:01 AM »

Any opinions on this kite? Is it stable as a flyer? How does it glide as compared to the Skate? It seems to be a capable OUTSIDE gliding kite?

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:04 AM »

Watch the movies ?

http://www.horvath.ch/en/movies.html

And judge for yourself ?

Can't be many over here ... you see how much they cost ? In Euros Huh

-Frazer
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:09 AM »

From what I seen this may be the best outdoor kite that GLIDES in near ZERO WIND. The current Hybrid 130/200/240 types.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:37 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
glider

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:54 AM »

I'm a big fan of both the Skate and the Horvath Hybrid 200.  I use the Skate indoors and the Hybrid outdoors in no wind.  The Skate is more graceful, but the Hybrid can do axel type tricks a little better.  As far as stability, the Skate is the clear winner for being glued to the sky in a super light breeze.  The Hybrid seems to want input and likes to fly around the sky rather than sit in one place, or maybe that's just me.  Wink

I flew the Skate at the indoor competition at WSIKF this year.  Check out 'David Bradley WSIKF' on youtube for a sample.  Paul and Hunter at Focus are great to work with. I think Skates are readily available.

AFAIK, there was a very limited run on Hybrids; I had trouble finding one.  A few of us were considering placing an order directly from Horvath but shipping and exchange rate put that out of our price range. 

Dave

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:55 AM »

At $411 + shipping the "Long Way Home" is a long way from cheap.   Huh
But a nice looking kite for sure.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fworley
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 09:07 AM »

At $411 + shipping the "Long Way Home" is a long way from cheap.   Huh
But a nice looking kite for sure.
You have to make allowances ... its Swiss ... and nothing much from/in Switzerland is cheap.

-Frazer
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 09:15 AM »

there are acouple of them in the states this continent.....not many though....

hq is producing a couple of horvath's kites....and then there is the urban ninja horvath's manueverable single line that quit a few people have made their own copies of...

supposed to be super nice Smiley
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:16 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 10:30 AM »

I flew the Skate with Paul at WSIKF also this year in that huge gym where the indoor comps were held. Went for an hour with the Skate. Kool. But I really needed something for the beach (outdoors) just for some exercise. The stunt kite even on 60' lines is a bit OFFENSIVE mid-day in July if you know what I mean. I normally practice in an isolated part of the beach in the early - mid morning hours ... anyway ... I just purchased the Hybrid 200 from HQ. Looking forward to the kite. In my opinion the Skate as a glider seems to be for Indoors only ... I already know the Aerobe is more effort just from the video when compared to the Skate ... my opinion ... that KM 61/49 whatever kite looks too massive for a 55 year old guy like myself but very different and tempting ... needed something in zero to low wind which is low key around people ... hopefully this swiss product is the ticket. Its about 6' tall so I like the length.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:00 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Focus Kite Designs

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 11:26 AM »

Hello all.  We saw the discussion about the Skate and wanted to take a moment to give some input.  We appreciate all the nice things that have been said about the Skate and its performance.  The Skate is a wonderful glider both indoors and outdoors with little effort.  We fly it outdoors quite often and are constantly amazed at how much fun we have with it.  We feel it is very versatile outdoors because you can glide it when there is no wind or very little wind.  As the wind increases, you can remove the weight from the nose and it flies great as a static single line kite, often when few other kites will. 

We realize some people feel it is suited more for indoors because it may feel delicate.  The micro carbon rods used in the frame are quite resilient and the flexible tips help absorb gust when you do fly it in wind.  We have even had customers tell us they flew their Skate in 15mph of wind.  Although we donít encourage this, the kite will take it.

The Horvath kites are very nice as well and we are sure you will be happy with your purchase. 

Hunter & Paul
Focus Kite Designs
www.focuskites.com
New Website Online Now!!
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 11:42 AM »

There is always the other side of the coin ... I guess my concern was on beach sand or possibly the way the kite may? dig into the sand on TAKEOFF. I am certain on grass the launch would not be an issue and it can easily GLIDE outside but was simply thinking in a BEACH environment in the takeoff position. I may be wrong and probably I am wrong ... what I am trying to say ... what technique would you use to launch the SKATE over a sandy surface ... any modifications from the standard launch from a hard wood floor in a gym? Just curious. I remember your instructions that for more flight and less glide remove more weight from the nose (i.e., reduce the two quarter combination). I went for the Horvath since it appears more rugged for beach sand and takeoffs. I am still open to the Skate at the beach ... your recommendations?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:41 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Focus Kite Designs

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:51 AM »

Thanks for letting us know what made you feel the Skate was more of an indoor kite.  Always nice to know how others think. 

We live in a coastal area and fly at the beach most of the time.  The Skate launches fine from the sand with the same technique as indoors.  Because it is bowed wind gets up under the wing and the kite lifts.  It is best if the kite is laying on the ground with the fly line coming out from one side a bit and not straight under the nose, which is pretty rare. 

When it comes to durability, the Skate and Horvath are made from the same materials and will both hold up well outdoors with normal use. 

Hunter & Paul
Focus Kite Designs
www.focuskites.com
New Website Online Now!!
indigo_wolf

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:17 PM »

You have to make allowances ... its Swiss ... and nothing much from/in Switzerland is cheap.

-Frazer

Toooootally off-topic.... well, sort of.

Here.... let's put the Horvath in perspective  Wink

http://www.rolanditen.com/calibreR8.asp

• Belt-Buckle?  Check!
  • $18,000 Euros?  Check!
  • Swiss?  Check & Double Check!

Don't even think about asking me how I ended up on that site.  Lips sealed

ATB,
Sam

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 12:42 PM »

We realize some people feel it is suited more for indoors because it may feel delicate.  The micro carbon rods used in the frame are quite resilient and the flexible tips help absorb gust when you do fly it in wind. 
personally i will only fly the skate indoors because of its characteristic flight/glide.....
i enjoy it in absolutely no wind....any wind makes it not as much fun for me to fly in.......

the skate is more delicate than a RSky Bird'x both rod and skin-wise...so i know i will hurt it outside...
also i enjoy the bird'x or the 61/49 more in those slight winds....and add in Ramlal's Oiseau at about 350 vertical feet up and it is a great day!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DWayne

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 01:14 PM »

I was totally unimpressed by the Skate outdoors. IMO the Aerobe is a much better outdoor kite.
Back on subject, the Horvath Hybrid 200 made by HQ is now on my list of kites to buy.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 01:43 PM »

The Horvath Hybrid are available.
Three to choose from ...
130 - 50" x 25" $149.99
200 - 78" x 39" $174.99
240 - 94" x 47" $299.99

Prices are MSRP.  If you are interested email steve@gwtwkites.com and we may be able to work out a better deal.  Wink

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum