GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 07:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indoor Zen Glider Flight  (Read 11202 times)
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 22, 2009, 03:15 PM »

At WSIKF this year Jim Cosca flew a small glider during indoor demonstrations that was built by Daryl Yeh. Does anyone have more information on this kite. YouTube has the video under "Indoor Zen Glider Flight". It was a great demonstration.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:23 PM »

that kite appeared in online pix and videos last year....litsong has spoken to Daryl and he is reluctant to part with them very often......

that video does show the effect using a control rod can provide while flying a kite indoors!!!!!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
jsking
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:29 PM »

Jim flew that thing at one of our recent indoor fun flies...and it is, to use the vernacular, "sick"!! Everbody went bonkers for that kite. It's truly awesome. We couldn't believe how well balanced and tuned it is.

Jeff
GEB

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:14 PM »

Balanced and tuned it is. It looks faster in the video than it did in person. By comparison it made the Skate, which is a great slow gliding kite, look really fast. I want one !!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:14 AM »

Indoor Zen Glider flight

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
GEB

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:23 AM »

Thanks for posting the video. The lighting in the gym makes the kite a little hard to see at times, but the end of the video shows the speed and balance clearly. Jim did an excellent job of flying it and picking just the right music for the kite. Very mellow, very Zen like.
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:22 PM »

So did any of you see it up close? Is it built like a fighter kite, or what? I've already tried my hand at building two imitations, but I'm not close to that amazingly slow flat glide. . .

Norm in Toronto
normofthenorth

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:07 PM »

BTW, John Baressi has posted a video of him flying a similarly capable glider-kite in early 2007. It's the second half of this YouTube video, starting around 5 minutes in (the first part is an indoor Rev):
Adios Nonino (indoor kite flying)

John's style is definitely NOT flying while sitting in a chair, but it looks to me as if the kite might do it.

I posted there asking John to share some general (or even specific! Wink) info about the kite. I might as well ask here, too -- tell us all about the glider-kite if you're willing, JB!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:10 PM by normofthenorth » Logged

Norm in Toronto
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:25 AM »

i am going to guess that John is flying a Nelson Borelli fighter kite....
not available to purchase but as i understand it he does offer them as a workshop kite....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:17 PM »

Correct on it being Borelli's kite... A "fighter floater", if you will.

VERY light (light trash bag material), it is truly a workshop kite, but flies so easily... You can pull it up overhead, let go on the line, and watch it lazily circle overhead as it very slowly comes down.

Anyone can fly one of these, it's not a finicky (for input) as a typical fighter. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
jsking

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 06:18 PM »

I made myself a Borelli Glider out of icarex some time back. Didn't thrill me indoors (probably due to my poor construction on my first attempt), but it's been a champ outdoors as a light wind kite. Here's a link to the plan. This is the only place I've ever been able to find it.

http://www.batoco.org/planos/2008/04/planobarriletegliderborreli.html

Jeff
normofthenorth

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 11:42 PM »

Thanks, folks! And lovely flying, John!

Norm in Toronto
siajauren

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 12:07 AM »

refer to following web

http://www.batoco.org/planos/2008/04/planobarriletegliderborreli.html

Let Try for OD 0.5 ~ 0.8mm spar, 1.5mm is too heavey, The spars can get it from RC Aeroplane frame material, With 1.5mm spar the wing span need to be Larger or bigger, For 0.8mm spar with orcon sheet 0.5 Oz the wing span may need up to 54" or above then it will find the effect. The kite try it to be bridless and tie a swivel and Swivel weight can perform the balance of the kites.

The above is a zen indoor kite fly. 

The kite Know your character before you know it will fly
normofthenorth

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:03 AM »

There's a PDF version of the plans and commentary, too, including full-size plans and templates. The page says it's "727 Mb", but it's only 727 KB.

There are also 3 videos on the site. In at least one of them, it's clear that the video-kite is not balanced to glide un-tended -- it stalls and dives a few times.

And in a bunch of the video the main attraction is the flier whipping the kite around and around on about 3' of line at high speed, to music.

I guess it's a personal taste thing, but that doesn't do anything for me, since I could do that with a lead weight at the end of a 3' line. . .

By my math, 0.5mm is around 0.02", which is very thin Carbon Fibre. I've been playing with 0.03" -- though it doesn't seem to flex enough for a ~24"W glider-kite. I "hinged" my current version by cracking the bow at the spine. Then I made a little dihedral by hot-bending a short piece of CF, and I taped it on top of the middle of the bow. So the kite never goes totally flat, and it is still semi-hinged at the spine -- i.e., it flexes more at the spine than along the 0.03" cross-bow. (I posted a few more details on Bruce Lambert's http://fighterkitecentral.com site.)

Mind you, 0.03" is still pretty flexy micro-carbon, but these super-slow glider-kites are obviously VERY flexible.

As siajauren indicates, there's a clear relationship between spar-flex and kite size.

I'm fascinated by the idea of using a swivel instead of a bridle. Mine has a simple 2-point bridle, like an Indian Fighter kite.

Norm in Toronto
siajauren

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 07:32 AM »

I make my Indoor Zen Flying Stick with glide kite Sunny Lin. Willing to share all, If any please comment and share knowledge among kiters Smiley Smiley

Material Use :

• Small Fishing Rod ($ 5)
  • Cable Tie($0.5)
  • Kid Kite Widder($1)
  • Heat Srinking tube FOC from friend
  • 1 + 1 Expoxy glue($5)

Follow Is my Progress of Photo

The kite Know your character before you know it will fly
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum