GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 09:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2pt landing  (Read 3910 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 10:31 PM »

aha - VF14 is right around the corner! 

6 kite tom
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 11:12 PM »

In my experience of a few kites I've flown, kites that go deep and hang around in a turtle (e.g. Cosmic, Organic, R-Sky Next) are a little bit more difficult to do a proper snappy looking 2 point landing. The window of opportunity to pull out of a Turtle is a little bit harder since if you don't pull out of the turtle into the landing before it goes too deep it'll just pause and float around in a turtle near the ground. Kites that go super deep in a turtle and do lifters are the worst of the bunch.

Conversely, kites that do 2 point landings pretty well would be kites that can drop on their backs pretty effectively and efficient but not get stucked in a turtle at any point in time. Nirvana, Widow Maker, are some examples.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 01:26 PM »

Here's a potential tip - I was just out for an hour or so and I am finally doing these much better than I have in the past.

I can do them as what I would call a straight-down half-axel, but they just don't hit the ground with conviction.

When I started thinking of doing them as a straight-down snap-lazy, it just works much better.  I think  the main difference is that I am  not doing any sort of setup (top wing back a bit) like I often do with the half-axel. I just pop one while slacking the other and then pull the slacked hand back all in a flash.

Hope this helps, it helped me.

Also, thanks for the tip Will, I also managed to starting getting a feeling for the sideways 2 pt.

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 09:39 PM »

An alternative to the pull/slack/slack method:

Pull/Pull - Pull one line to turn the kite up when near the ground, then pull the other to drive the the tip into the ground, slack when needed either by stepping forward or just throwing some slack.

This method helps to keep the kite from landing on its back.

The more I think, about this one, the more it seems to be Pull/Pull/Pull with maybe some slack to keep the kite from taking off again.

Pull to turn the kite up. Pull to drive the opposite tip into the ground. Pull to bring the tip, on the side you initially turned, into contact with the ground.

If you do it just right the kite just slams down and sticks.

If you do it wrong, it bounces, or doesn't land exactly on both tips at the same time.. or whatever else can go wrong.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:21 PM by JimB » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 09:50 PM »

This method helps to keep the kite from landing on its back
Which is very cool also.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 11:23 PM »

But not if you are competing in TP...  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document