GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 12:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying in Hawai'i  (Read 1114 times)
Poopy_Gnome
Trade Count: (0)
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:24 PM »

I'm planning to go to Hawaii around Thanksgiving this year and am wondering where I could get some flying in.

I'll be on the island of Hawai'i for most of the trip and would like to bring my Stunt kites. 
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:20 PM »

The Kona coast is mostly lava rock. Not many places to fly except the old airport at Kailua. The Hamakua coast is mostly cliffs. The Waipio valley has a nice beach, but you need a 4 wheel drive to get there. Between Kawaihae and Waikaloa there's some good beaches. And I'm not real familiar with the Hilo side but there are some place over there you can fly.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:35 PM »

I have never flown any kites on the island of Hawaii-here's why:

On the south and west side, there's a lot of lava/rocky ground-even the hotels and golf courses are pockets of green at the tees and the holes. When the trades blow, the two large volcanoes cause eddies on the downwind (Kona) sides. Also vog.
On the east side (Hilo) which could catch a lot of winds, it also rains a lot. There maybe open spaces, some public parks, but they may be surrounded by thick trees or bushes. The coqui frog is thriving in the almost rain forest like conditions between Hilo and Puna.
The southeast side has the current and most recent lava flows.
The middle of the island (Parker Ranch, Waimea) could have conditions similar to Hilo- rain showers, winds, green  open spaces but probably privately owned.
The Northeast sides catch the trades directly but also rise up steeply from the shoreline, never been there but wouldn't expect smooth winds.
The most northern(Kohala) side may be your best bet but I've never been there either. Expensive hotel(s).

The only kites stores I know of in Hawaii were on Oahu, Maui and Molokai. There are places to fly there, as well as Kauai, but the Oahu kite stores have closed, and the Maui one mainly sells toys now.

Try Google Earth and you'll see what I mean. Your best bet is to contact your host and ask if anyone flies kites near where you are staying. I wouldn't bring a full bag of stunt kites though.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:16 PM »

Quite a few people fly at the old airport in Kailua-Kona and at Spencer Beach Park outside Kawaihae I've seen a few fliers. The winds in Kona are generally (but not always) mild UL type winds. Up towards Kawaihae it can get to screaming in the afternoons. Especially in the winter. The good news is, its almost always coming onshore. Very rarely does it come down off the mountains.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:34 AM »

search out Rod247 on here....he is a flyer in hawaii...should be able to provide lots of info.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 04:22 AM »

My in-laws lived about a half an hour from Wiamea down-slope in Waikoloa about 15 years ago. They took us up the Saddle Road to a spot where they would park their chairs and have a picnic. The Saddle Road has a lot of wide open spaces that doesn't appear to be owned by anyone. It's probably not terribly convenient to get to though.

Hapuna is a public beach that's a pretty nice size. I don't know about the wind there though. It's right by the Mauna Lani and the big hotels there. (I think it's the the Mauna Lani that has lights in the water at night to attract the manta rays. Now THAT was cool.)

The area around the airport north of Kona is probably pretty good from what I remember.

I don't remember seeing much on the Hilo side of the island and it's FAR! The Big Island is really big! It's about an hour or so from Waikoloa (where they lived) to Kona and probably about 3 hours to Hilo.

Bob D.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 01:24 PM »

How long are you going to be there?  How often will you be able to go back?

My advise is to leave your kites at home and spend all your spare time enjoying all that the Big Island has to offer.  Hands down the coolest place I've ever been in my life.  Lived in Hawaii (Oahu) for 20 years and the Big Island was my number one vacation destination.  Visited many, many time and still didn't get to see / do everything that I wanted to.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 02:20 PM »

Ditto on Steve's advice. I lived there for a few years and all the islands have soooooo much to do and see.
But flying a kite in some of those places would make for a very nice picture though. You could fly over the cliffs on the far South end of the Big Island and that would be very cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document