GWTW Forum
April 21, 2014, 03:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widow Maker vs Nirvana  (Read 2054 times)
Pepito
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 24, 2009, 06:50 AM »

Anyone care to compare the WM to the original Nirvana in terms of pull, trickability and general style?  I've flown WM and had great fun.  I also fly a NIrvana SE which I also really enjoy - seems a little livlier than the WM
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:20 AM »

We fly them pretty much side by side every Friday.  I guess the best way to put it is...

Do you like the Red Ferrari or the Blue Ferrari?

Both kites have their strong points and both are fantastic for just about every trick ever invented.  Whether one or the other kite can do any one trick any better or smoother or nicer....comes down to the pilot more than the kite.  I feel that these two kites (as well as many other high end kites) are only limited by skills and not design.

I prefer the WM myself, but wouldn't complain at all if I had to fly Darren's Nirvana.  Smiley  They are both better kites than I am a pilot.

Pepito

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply....It's a tough life (sarcasm) I wld agree both kites are great.... almost depends on the mood you are in

Take care

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 07:29 PM »

who wants a blue ferrari?  Tongue

both are excellent kites. i'd say get whichever one you can get your hands on more easily.  if you were to compare the widow maker and the nirvana to the deep space you'd say the widow maker and nirvana are twins because the deep space is so different from the two of them.

from flying both weekly i'd actually say they're far more alike than they are different.

Fdeli
fworley
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:49 PM »

who wants a blue ferrari?  Tongue

I would not say no ...

+1 for Nirvana - go the the original

-Frazer

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:51 PM »

Both will do just about any trick I can think of. Both work well with a heavy hand but the WM even more so. I tend to think the WM is a bit like a Nirvana Deep Space cross.

The Nirvana is an edgier (more French) kite with a deeper turtle. It's a little more precise or straight lines are straighter anyway. Lazies and multies are a easier to get started. The Nirvana does some of the best looking Jacobs Ladders.

The Widow Maker, standard and UL, will fly with less wind than the Nirvana equivalents. WM is better at spin Axels, I'm not sure the Nirvana really does that trick well. Also Wap do Waps are nicer / easier. The WM is better in inland winds. The build quality of the WM is way better than the Nirvana.

If I had my choice, and I do, :

Standard = Widow Maker

UL = Nirvana

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:59 PM »

Gotta go Nirvana - I prefer how it looks, flys, and tricks.

WM is also a nice kite, go with your gut.

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:12 PM »

Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964) - original japanese trailer
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:42 AM »

I hate to comment on stuff like this, because you know how opinions are, but I have flown both of these kites quite a bit, so figured I would say a few words. This is all just my opinion.

Precision: Nirvana wins. The Nirvana is very good at precision. I have used it for precision in competition, pairs and team. The WM does decent precision, but not well enough for me to choose to use it for that in competition.

Tricks: Both have their strengths and weaknesses, like all kites. I find the WM does some of the tricks from 10 years ago better than the Nirvana, 540's, axels, axel take offs, basically the floaty type stuff. It also rotofades better. The Nirvana *can* do those tricks, but the WM does them easier and looks better doing them. Both kites cascade extremely well.

The newer tricks (sorry, I still cannot comete) there is less of a distinction. Roll ups, multi lazies, insanes, stuff like that I find that they both do that type stuff very well, and I can't tell as big a difference with those as something like a 540.

Flight: Both fly very nice. I think the standard WM has a better wind range than the standard Nirvana. I like the UL Nirvana better than the UL WM, but it would probably be more fair to compare it to the SUL Nirvana. The UL Nirvana is framed heavier.

Ok, my few words are over. Again, this is just my opinion, YMMV.

See ya,
Bill

nobbl2k

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 03:41 AM »

After following this thread so far I had to check it out myself. I have several Nirvanas in different versions and frames and I have a custom Widow Maker. I thought, the closest Nirvana to the WM is the Icone NSE Std und flew them both side by side yesterday.

The result is: All the tricks I am able to do work on both of them just as well and easily. With two exceptions: I sucked on the taz machine on the NSE, which surprises me quite a bit, because I had no problems on the old Nirvana. I guess it must be me, wrong input or timing or a bad day or such and I'll keep working on it. Of the WM I got out the sweetest, flatest and slowest taz machines I ever could manage.

And the second trick is the yo-fade. Possible on the NSE, not on the WM. For me!

The feel on both is similar as well. The NSE flies in almost the same wind range and the pull is not that different either. I have the impression, that the old Nirvana had more pull and needed more wind, but I didn't try it. The WM felt a little bit heavier to me than the NSE.

On the belly the WM is a number, it excels at 540s, slots, tazes and such, on the back the NSE strikes back.

The WM is put together better than the Nirvana, but I didn't find anything to complain on the NSE yet either. R-Sky seems to have worked pretty successfully on the quality issues.

So you can not go wrong with either of both. If you prefer belly tricks or want one of the best made kites, go for the WM, if you love back tricks more or have in mind getting a full set of one kites, take the NSE.

Or just buy the one with the sail pattern that you prefer.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:43 AM by nobbl2k » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:07 AM »

For those who are able to do able to do most of the tricks out there I can see that you'd be split over which is better. For me, as I can't get out as much as some, I'm still learning and polishing what I know. Some kites are better at certain things and the Nirvana and the WM have their niches.

I actually prefer the lighter pull of the WM to the stronger pull of the Nirvana. I find that the WM is easier to trick. I CAN trick the Nirvana but it's a lot more work with bigger inputs.

I have the WM Spider so I actually really like the sail layout. If it were a regular WM, I'd have to say I like the R-Sky layout better.

Another thing about the Nirvana Std is the standoff buttons. The end caps get stuck in the fittings and I've broken a few buttons as I've tried to break down the kite. I decided to not glue the buttons now so that I don't have to worry about them.

I like the R-Sky kites and I hope that I'll get to the point where I'm competent enough to make them look good.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography